Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Disney's imagineering group is huge, and until the remake of Test track I never really noticed the difference experience can make. (Don't get me wrong, TT came out okayish, but the old version had more energy to the atmosphere). It's clear to me now that there's an A team and a B team, perhaps even a C team, for stores, landscapes... little jobs.

I'm not complaining, DHS needs this so bad, but is anyone else get the feeling that the imagineers on the job for this are the newer kids on the block, the B team? Not because of child/toy theme as much as that it's as though they were given the examples that have already been done in other parks to improve upon, one of which was a ride design that was already built out, and just needed a re-theming. The senior imagineers stepped back and told them to "have at it kids, but here's the toolbox you have to keep to" (size, budget, materials, etc)

I don't buy that there is an A or B team per se' but if there was Star Wars wouldn't get second tier imagineers. I think people are complaining over personal preference not factual basis in this case.

Mouse_Trap

Disney's imagineering group is huge, and until the remake of Test track I never really noticed the difference experience can make. (Don't get me wrong, TT came out okayish, but the old version had more energy to the atmosphere). It's clear to me now that there's an A team and a B team, perhaps even a C team, for stores, landscapes... little jobs.

I'm not complaining, DHS needs this so bad, but is anyone else get the feeling that the imagineers on the job for this are the newer kids on the block, the B team? Not because of child/toy theme as much as that it's as though they were given the examples that have already been done in other parks to improve upon, one of which was a ride design that was already built out, and just needed a re-theming. The senior imagineers stepped back and told them to "have at it kids, but here's the toolbox you have to keep to" (size, budget, materials, etc)

If they do, I think they left this project to the first year apprentices.

Disneyhead'71

I am not going to disagree those in my mind are "E-Tickets" but from reading these boards over the years it does seem like many beleive that if it is not a roller coaster than it is not an "E-Ticket"
I disagree completely. That's what defensive pixie dusters honestly believe that is what we are saying, but that is because they are too busy being offended to actually listen.

"Naysayers": "7DMT is too short and not ambitious enough. There needs to be at least one more grand show scene."

"Pixie Duster": "Fantasyland doesn't need a giant steel mega looping death machine!!!!?"

"Naysayers": "That's not what I said."

"Pixie Duster": "There is a Six Flags somewhere that is probably closer to your level of sophistication."

"Naysayers": [Shakes head. Walks off (exit stage left)]

gmajew

I disagree completely. That's what defensive pixie dusters honestly believe that is what we are saying, but that is because they are too busy being offended to actually listen.

"Naysayers": "7DMT is too short and not ambitious enough. There needs to be at least one more grand show scene."

"Pixie Duster": "Fantasyland doesn't need a giant steel mega looping death machine!!!!?"

"Pixie Duster": "There is a Six Flags somewhere that is probably closer to your level of sophistication."

Again and again this nightmare continue to happen.

Brian Swan

I'm confused as to why the people who claim to hate Chester and Hester, think this Toy Story land is some amazing new thing? :confused:
I
I'm giving this land 18 months to be completed anything more and I will be disappointed in the pace.
Where and when? 2030 perhaps?

There's not one in Avatar, that has two rides, a D ticket Soarin' clone and a C ticket water ride. It looked like it may have gotten a E ticket roller coaster at one point, but that got cut ages ago.

Right now, there's a lot of possible, very little actually happening.
This statement confuses me. I think pretty much everyone considers Soarin' to be an "E-ticket". How can a ride that is similar in concept but with more advanced technology be a "D-ticket". Everyone is writing off the boat ride as a "D-ticket" without even knowing what it will be. POC is a boat ride - does that automatically make it a "D-ticket"...?

Mawg

I

This statement confuses me. I think pretty much everyone considers Soarin' to be an "E-ticket". How can a ride that is similar in concept but with more advanced technology be a "D-ticket". Everyone is writing off the boat ride as a "D-ticket" without even knowing what it will be. POC is a boat ride - does that automatically make it a "D-ticket"...?
Don't get yourself mixed up in the ticket conversation, the ride is what it is. Sometimes even to this day Disney will refer to their rides as an E, D, or C ticket ride. Since the ticketing is really based on the past when Disney set the prices for these only they get to decide what ticket a ride is, anything else people guess around here is purely opinion. If it's your favorite ride, then it's an E ticket to ya.

Disneyhead'71

Don't get yourself mixed up in the ticket conversation, the ride is what it is. Sometimes even to this day Disney will refer to their rides as an E, D, or C ticket ride. Since the ticketing is really based on the past when Disney set the prices for these only they get to decide what ticket a ride is, anything else people guess around here is purely opinion. If it's your favorite ride, then it's an E ticket to ya.
The only people who say this are people who keep wanting to elevate an attraction to E Ticket level when it clearly is not. Like 7DMT.

doctornick

Some people don't like Soarin' -- and that's certainly their prerogative -- but I agree with your point. Indications are they are making a ride similar to Soarin' but "better" with greater vehicle movement, 3D, increased theming of the queue/theater. I suspect that for the vast majority of guests that Flight of Passage will be a huge hit. I don't think there's any reason to get bogged down in the ticket nomenclature.

The point that sparked the question was a complaint about Disney not being ambitious with rides any more, but I think Pandora (especially with Cameron's involvement) will actually have very high quality attractions.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I

Disney has explicitly called it a D.

doctornick

My actual only concern about the Avatar attractions is that the boat ride may be a little short. Other than that, I think they will be quite impressive.

Someone who measured the ride size in one of the Pandora threads said it was around the same size as the MK POTC show building. I'm expecting something in the 7 to 10 min range, but we'll see.

Mawg

The only people who say this are people who keep wanting to elevate an attraction to E Ticket level when it clearly is not. Like 7DMT.
Well I said it and I think it is a D-. But again, show me a time Disney referred to it as a C, D or E or show me the ticket (impossible) and that's what it is. You or any other fan does not get to decide what ticket a ride would have gotten unless it is only your opinion.

Edit, 7DMT - I think is a D-. New Avatar boat ride, Disney referred to it as a D, their plans might have changed since then but until they indicate otherwise...D ( not my opinion, straight from Disney)

Animaniac93-98

If there was ever a single post to sum up the "news and rumors" section of the forum, it's this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom