Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think if they closed the 3rd track of TSM (which takes up the southern half of the TSM building) and gutted it and replaced it with an indoor play area like LIttle Mermaid in TOkyo, but themed to Andys Toybox with a new entrance/exit on both sides giving a new entrance/exit to TSL from Pixar Alley, that would be pretty chill. ALso build some fake plants in giant pots and place them around the area for shade instead of umbrellas. A couple big fake plants could provide shade for 50% of the land easily. The blue is the new indoor toybox area and the yello are new entrance/exits also TSM would exit right into it as well. The white circles are where the giant fake potted plants would go. ALso the area between WOodys LB and the old exit pathway would be redone as well of course.
You do understand that they have no where close to enough capacity as is, right?

The park was built for 1995 and the geniuses decided to close things before “adding” things…

So maybe another idea?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
yes I do. The play area would make up for capacity and give young kids a place to actually play and run around, which is something that DHS doesnt have at all. You could also put a small ride in there like TSL in Tokyo as well.
Remove capacity when this park in particular has an abundance of misappropriated usable space within its boundary ?

J4546

You do understand that they have no where close to enough capacity as is, right?

The park was built for 1995 and the geniuses decided to close things before “adding” things…

So maybe another idea?
indoor play place makes up for capacity and you could put a small ride like TLM land in tokyo as well. Itd be soo much better imo. TSM exits right into the toybox instead of that half mile exit line lol, kids have a place to run around and play (In TSL of all places) and parents have a shaded spot to rest and watch their kids. DHS has no areas for kids to play and run around and this would be a great tradeoff imo

also this would be after many other things that need to happen at DHS

SplashJacket

indoor play place makes up for capacity and you could put a small ride like TLM land in tokyo as well. Itd be soo much better imo. TSM exits right into the toybox instead of that half mile exit line lol, kids have a place to run around and play (In TSL of all places) and parents have a shaded spot to rest and watch their kids. DHS has no areas for kids to play and run around and this would be a great tradeoff imo

So you suggest removing 800 guest hourly capacity for a play area with an hourly capacity of likely less then 100?

And we need to do this because there’s not enough room in TSL?

I think the answer is clear, design a space appropriate TSL instead of the horribly inefficient use of space we got.

Professortango1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I rode Screamin' for years and thought the re-theme was awesome. Gimme dat NUM-NUM Cookie at the end too! (got milk?) More or less the same with ToT to Guardians. When I heard that was taking place I was ed. I knew they were rushing to get a Guardians attraction in place in sync with the release of Vol 2. I still think the exterior work is hideous, but I have to confess that the actual ride is greatly improved and the interior theming is cool.
Yeah, I got to agree with imagineer, Incredicoaster feels incredibly cheap and Six Flags-ish. And Mission BO took a stellar Disney attraction and made it into a Universal Studios Hollywood attraction.

Purduevian

Not saying an indoor play pace wouldn't be great... but removing any ride capacity at DHS should be a non-starter for all ideas for DHS at the moment. TSMM currently has a 90 minute standby with all 3 tracks running (I assume)

UNCgolf

I think the answer is clear, design a space appropriate TSL instead of the horribly inefficient use of space we got.

It's really amazing how poorly designed TSL is from a use of space aspect (and essentially everything else about it too IMO, but that's subjective). DHS was already cramped for space and lacking in capacity, so... yeah, building a relatively sprawling land with only one pathway and very little to do compared to the space used made perfect sense.

Galaxy's Edge has at least 3x as much to do in less than twice as much space -- and GE has room to add more in the existing footprint if they wanted.

Last edited:

Professortango1

So just make a modern Honey I Shrunk the Kids-esque play corner somewhere else. Taking away one half of one of the few quality rides at a park isn't a smart decision. Maybe if Disney could open another 3-4 quality darkride attractions then maybe they could reclaim the space for the third track, but that's not happening for decades.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well…it’s not the worst idea

But here’s the real problem: Bob just spent money on two bad lands ONLY 6 years ago…don’t expect anything in the park for 10

UNCgolf

Slinky Dog Dash is the biggest problem with TSL from a space standpoint. It's a fun little attraction, but not remotely commensurate with the space it eats up -- I'm pretty sure it takes up more space than Rise of the Resistance, and more than Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey combined.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I got to agree with imagineer, Incredicoaster feels incredibly cheap and Six Flags-ish. And Mission BO took a stellar Disney attraction and made it into a Universal Studios Hollywood attraction.
For all the complaints about the baby on a stick…screamin is a straight up rollercoaster…it wasn’t like they ripped our splash mountain or anything…

I actually don’t hate guardians…but that being said - I’d rather they would not have cloned tower there in the first place.

doctornick

Slinky Dog Dash is the biggest problem with TSL from a space standpoint. It's a fun little attraction, but not remotely commensurate with the space it eats up -- I'm pretty sure it takes up more space than Rise of the Resistance, and more than Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey combined.
It definitely needed to have stuff built under it if they were doing such a large footprint

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It definitely needed to have stuff built under it if they were doing such a large footprint
I’m sure it was 100% intentional …
“Take up” the land so nothing new could be expected

Wdw is an elaborate shell game when it comes to “investment”

All this talk of fake billions of “eventual” investment won’t change any of this

Professortango1

For all the complaints about the baby on a stick…screamin is a straight up rollercoaster…it wasn’t like they ripped our splash mountain or anything…

I actually don’t hate guardians…but that being said - I’d rather they would not have cloned tower there in the first place.
Yes, but it is like when they added VR headsets to Revolution, you are taking a decent coaster and putting something so cheap and cringe-worthy on it that is detracts from the basic coaster. The update is pretty jaw-droppingly cheap and unfinished for Disney.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
As a long-time visitor to DL and having repeatedly experienced both versions of both rides, I respectfully disagree. I think, objectively, both ride experiences were improved by the re-themes, especially if you are a fan of the films. I was very skeptical about GOTG, MBO as I felt Disney had plenty of $$ to create an original attraction versus rushing to get something in place in time for the release of V2. Then I rode the ride. It's longer and has a lot more eye candy than its predecessor. I believe different experiences are had in different elevator cars too. Anyhoo, as I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion. =] Thanks for your comments.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a long-time visitor to DL and having repeatedly experienced both versions of both rides, I respectfully disagree. I think, objectively, both ride experiences were improved by the re-themes, especially if you are a fan of the films. I was very skeptical about GOTG, MBO as I felt Disney had plenty of $$ to create an original attraction versus rushing to get something in place in time for the release of V2. Then I rode the ride. It's longer and has a lot more eye candy than its predecessor. I believe different experiences are had in different elevator cars too. Anyhoo, as I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion. =] Thanks for your comments.
I agree…I think breakout was a pretty good reinvestment on what was previously just a clone

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I resisted using this initially, but then you went ahead and doubled down on your already-bad idea. And your last line doesn't save face.

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

Disone

Hard no on this. Mannequins and overused lines from the trailer for Incredibles 2 ("num num Cookie") do not a good attraction make. They could have done so much more with this. It's a cheap overlay in my opinion. Cali Scream all the way!
Oh good. I'm glad I wasn't just me that prefers the California screamin version over this incredibles version which is really not incredible at all.

Ismael Flores

It's really amazing how poorly designed TSL is from a use of space aspect (and essentially everything else about it too IMO, but that's subjective). DHS was already cramped for space and lacking in capacity, so... yeah, building a relatively sprawling land with only one pathway and very little to do compared to the space used made perfect sense.

Galaxy's Edge has at least 3x as much to do in less than twice as much space -- and GE has room to add more in the existing footprint if they wanted.
You are so right, the land should have probably been designed to be more of a makeshift town maybe even western themed out of cardboard boxes and other toys.
Design the track of the coaster so that it travels over this makeshift town using valuable space.
The buildings or building with multiple facades used to house a couple flat rides or even a small sit on the floor family show for the younger audience and parents.
Imagineering really needs to start considering multi use options for land similar to how attractions were once built for Fantasyland and tomorrowland in Disneyland. The way Pirates was designed to have ride, shopping and a private club all integrated instead of buildings spread out using double the land and half the things for people to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom