Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Brer Oswald

You should ask actual children which land they prefer. TSL is rather popular with my kids. And DL’s Fantasyland is an unfair comparison. They build nothing like that anymore. Even Disneyland took 3 decades to build all of those rides. Pinocchio wasn’t until the ‘80s! Our TSL has been open 3 1/2 years and is receiving updates and expansion already. That’s pretty good for Disney.

Also, ever been in DL’s FL on even a moderately-busy day? It’s jam-packed with people.

Are we really comparing those tiny Bug’s Land rides to TSL’s rides?
But how old are your kids? Are they older than 6? Are they able to ride some of the other height requirement rides like Tower of Terror, Rise of the Resistance, Star Tours, etc? It’s not the theme that’s the problem. What DHS needed was more rides without a height requirement. More rides that could accommodate for families with young children (and older guests that don’t like thrills). We’ve had a net gain of 0 in that department at DHS in the last 10 years.

As far as the land getting updated in “only 3 years”, what it is getting is a gift shop and an indoor restaurant. As far as I am aware, these were things most of us were expecting to come with the land when it opened. Every new land built at WDW in the last 20 years has had a gift shop and a restaurant. That’s just the bare minimum.

ToTBellHop

But how old are your kids? Are they older than 6? Are they able to ride some of the other height requirement rides like Tower of Terror, Rise of the Resistance, Star Tours, etc? It’s not the theme that’s the problem. What DHS needed was more rides without a height requirement. More rides that could accommodate for families with young children (and older guests that don’t like thrills). We’ve had a net gain of 0 in that department at DHS in the last 10 years.

As far as the land getting updated in “only 3 years”, what it is getting is a gift shop and an indoor restaurant. As far as I am aware, these were things most of us were expecting to come with the land when it opened. Every new land built at WDW in the last 20 years has had a gift shop and a restaurant. That’s just the bare minimum.
The paths admittedly meander, but I’m still searching for the sit-down on Pandora and Batuu.

They‘ve also added a lot of shade structures. As for kids, the average 3-year old can ride everything in TSL. That’s pretty successful by my estimate. They’ve done better than Universal, certainly. I felt for the family with a toddler being turned away from The Cat in the Hat.

Bocabear

You should ask actual children which land they prefer. TSL is rather popular with my kids. And DL’s Fantasyland is an unfair comparison. They build nothing like that anymore. Even Disneyland took 3 decades to build all of those rides. Pinocchio wasn’t until the ‘80s! Our TSL has been open 3 1/2 years and is receiving updates and expansion already. That’s pretty good for Disney.

Also, ever been in DL’s FL on even a moderately-busy day? It’s jam-packed with people.

the expansion is in the form of a restaurant which was always planned to be there in some form and a shade structure... also a necessary thing due to lack of planning. I will not applaud these additions anymore than I would applaud changing out burned out lightbulbs. This is not really an addition as much as a completion...

FerretAfros

While it's true that Disney doesn't build lands like DL's Fantasyland any more, and that Pinocchio wasn't added until the 1983 renovation, it's a little disingenuous to say that it took decades to build all the rides.

With the exception of it's a small world (1967) and Pinocchio's Daring Journey (1983), all of Fantasyland's rides were in place by 1959, 4 years after the park opened. Additionally, Pinocchio replaced the Mickey Mouse Club Theater (later renamed the Fantasyland Theater) which showed cartoons, so although it was an additional "ride," that space always housed an attraction.

FL's 1959 attraction roster was at least as strong in 1959 as today. It included most of the rides that exist today along with the Fantasyland Autopia, Midget Autopia, Motor Boat Cruise, Skyway (all of which closed by the mid-90's), and a railroad station that was officially in Fantasyland (the current one is technically part of Toontown). The only rides missing would be Pinocchio and it's a small world; the Matterhorn was officially in Tomorrowland at that time, but was still part of the park

Furthermore, I think there's a difference in true expansions and additions to meet growing demand, compared to simply fixing things that should have been included in the opening day roster. Shade structures, a gift shop, and a restaurant are all basics that are part of the infrastructure required in any theme park area. They're neither additional headliners to draw people in, nor are they diversions to absorb existing crowds; like restrooms, they simply fill out the menu of infrastructure that allows an area to be visited for more than short periods of times. They're correcting basic oversights that should have been there from the start.

It's also very important to consider the context in which both lands were built. 1950's Disney was a small company with no experience operating theme parks, which invested literally every dollar possible (and then some) in the park to get it up and running, and continued to invest once additional funding became available. 2018's Disney was a multi-billion dollar entertainment conglomerate with 60+ years experience operating theme parks, including 29 years operating the park where TSL was built. All logic would imply that the bigger, more experienced company should create the more complete and fulfilling land, yet that's the one that struggles to meet the basic design criteria that the very same company has trained its customers to for decades.

As for why DL's Fantasyland is jam-packed with people? Perhaps it's because its content remains popular 67 years after opening (39 years after the major overhaul) and people still enjoy it. And although the walkways may be crowded, attraction wait times tend to be pretty reasonable, which seems like a strong argument for more attractions to absorb crowds (particularly when individual attractions have low capacity), rather than spacing them farther apart; if given the choice, I think most park guests would prefer short waits and crowded paths to the inverse.

J4546

I wonder how the new BBQ spot is gonna affect Woodys lunchbox? the menu for lunchbox is BBQ brisket melt, other sandwhiches and other items that I would assume would be served in the new BBQ spot, thus opening the door for this area to maybe serve something else....? Perhaps like an ice cream spot? that would be pretty cool imo.

JustInTime

I wonder how the new BBQ spot is gonna affect Woodys lunchbox? the menu for lunchbox is brisket and other items that I would assume would be served in the new BBQ spot, thus opening the door for this area to maybe serve something else....? Perhaps like an ice cream spot? that would be pretty cool imo. Maybe a Dippin Dots lol? Id be down with that
Doubt it. Never been an issue for the two Yak and Yeti’s. Also, the two locations would serve different audiences and you’ll have to have reservations for one. So if you decide to eat lunch at Woody’s then the sit down options will be irrelevant bc you can’t eat there anyway. In fact, I think it’ll make operations easier. Also they are adding covered seating so I really don’t see lunch going away and the park can’t stand to lose a counter service at this point.

TrojanUSC

I wonder how the new BBQ spot is gonna affect Woodys lunchbox? the menu for lunchbox is BBQ brisket melt, other sandwhiches and other items that I would assume would be served in the new BBQ spot, thus opening the door for this area to maybe serve something else....? Perhaps like an ice cream spot? that would be pretty cool imo.

Would assume the BBQ place will be akin to Whispering Canyon - overpriced skillets of Sysco's finest brisket, ribs and chicken. Woody's is decidedly more quick service. Not too different than Via Napoli serving pizza by the slice, while the restaurant serves full pies.

gerarar

Premium Member
It's nice to see they're continuing the K'NEX theming/aesthetics. When I saw TSL in person, the huge connectors and rods jumped out to me since it was my favorite childhood toy that I loved assembling. Technically, led the way to my passion for building things and going the STEM route.

Last edited:

sedati

1643565495434.png

Image from Retrowdw.com showing how we in the 80s knew all about lack of shade.

yensidtlaw1969

View attachment 617751

Image from Retrowdw.com showing how we in the 80s knew all about lack of shade.
The difference, of course, is that there were (and still are) many interior spaces all throughout World Showcase that guests can tuck into when they need a break from the sun or shelter from the rain.

You'd think we could expect better 40 years out, instead of worse.

Cesar R M

The difference, of course, is that there were (and still are) many interior spaces all throughout World Showcase that guests can tuck into when they need a break from the sun or shelter from the rain.

You'd think we could expect better 40 years out, instead of worse.
Also, aren't most trees there barely planted?

raymusiccity

The budget was ridiculously high. The problems have nothing to do with cuts that didn’t happen.

The restaurant also isn’t filling in space, it’s an expansion because the land is so poorly laid out.
Cuts actually were made to Slinky Dog Dash, The early concept art illustrated a lot more 'excavation' and digging by Andy for his new play set. Lots of the ride was below grade, with a large shovel and bucket left on site.
toy-story-land-original-concept-art-690x460.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom