Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

hauntology

so i went like 2 weeks ago never got to ride anything there except for TSM because slinky dog had been broken down for the first 3 hours of the day. mind you DHS has horrible crowd and line control where every ride except star tours is beyond an hour to get on.

the land is succesful in making you feel like a toy in that theres a lot of nifty things if you look hard (the floor has ginormous footprints, etc) but its absolutely disgusting to me that most of the lines for the alien ride and slinky dog isn't covered.

i can't believe it even exists in this park though...DHS is a shell of its former self. there's no movie magic. there's no movie/hollywood ANYTHING--it's just IP: the park save for sunset boulevard which is still one of the most beautiful areas disney has designed.

TrainsOfDisney

I was just at Dollywood and couldn’t help but compare their brand new 37m land “Wildwood Grove” with TSL. For 37 m they added a large QS restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating, a water play area, a family coaster that includes underground tunnel and water features, a large indoor play area, a custom “smoky bear” track ride, an outdoor covered gift shop, restroom building, and 4 flat rides. The place has several really nice water features and a big butterfly tree that lights up and all at night.

All of the rides have lower capacity than what would work at a Disney park but still. It’s crazy what they did for 1/6 of the budget.

Attachments

• 171B608F-6C17-45FE-9A98-5110E03C49B6.jpeg
    171B608F-6C17-45FE-9A98-5110E03C49B6.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 00820A3A-51D9-490B-8E3C-C5601EEDACC0.jpeg
    00820A3A-51D9-490B-8E3C-C5601EEDACC0.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 261
  • CE189848-9AA9-4701-B435-3AA10641F837.jpeg
    CE189848-9AA9-4701-B435-3AA10641F837.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 244

lazyboy97o

I was just at Dollywood and couldn’t help but compare their brand new 37m land “Wildwood Grove” with TSL. For 37 m they added a large QS restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating, a water play area, a family coaster that includes underground tunnel and water features, a large indoor play area, a custom “smoky bear” track ride, an outdoor covered gift shop, restroom building, and 4 flat rides. The place has several really nice water features and a big butterfly tree that lights up and all at night.

All of the rides have lower capacity than what would work at a Disney park but still. It’s crazy what they did for 1/6 of the budget.
Wildwood Grove is also situated on only 5 acres of land. Doubling all of that would be less than Toy Story Land’s claimed 11 acres and still only be a relatively modest premium over the cost of Slinky Dog Dash alone.

TrainsOfDisney

I guess they are counting the entire Mania show building.... wildwood grove feels a lot bigger than TSL.

What’s sad to me is how little Motion we got in TSL, Woody, Buzz, Rex, and Jesse are all just giant statues.... is this all we can get now? For what they paid I want to see at least some minor movements! Same for the swirling saucers.... even at the tea cups at least the mouse comes up out of the tea pot! We can’t even have the aliens blink their eyes and the claws move?

It’s not a terrible land, I think slinky dog is super cute and Disney’s best success since Dumbo as far as iconic theme park rides that just scream Disney (likewise dumbo is a simple ride, but the definition of a Disney ride more than Star Wars rides will ever be). I just wish we could have had a little bit more wow.

Club Cooloholic

That's pretty neat. I gotta say Dinoland gets tons of complaints in AK, but is TSL all that different?

TrainsOfDisney

In my opinion, TSL is way better than Dino-land just because it’s not themed to a cheap carnival. Random Dino’s flying overhead and a literally off the shelf wild mouse vs. toy story aliens spinning and an adorable custom layout slinky coaster.

It should be noted that while leftover from the original build out of the land, dinoland does include a large cs restaurant with lots of indoor seating, a large play area, live animal displays, and an indoor themed gift shop.

bclane

I actually like TSL at night. It’s a super cute area when the sun goes down. The only complaints I really have, other than the new pop up store that is just embarrassing, is that there is no way to escape the heat in that area during the day. That, and it just feels like a lot more could have been done considering the amount of money they spent. JMO

Casper Gutman

Toy Story Land has a very similar but much more optimistic conceit. They’re both amusement parks but one is the wide-eyed wonder of a child while the other is the cynicism of a crass, rundown tourist trap.
On the surface that’s absolutely true. The irony is that at a deeper level, TSL is a cynical attempt to cheaply (for Disney) exploit an overused franchise to add the illusion of value to a long-neglected park while Dinoland is a witty commentary on both American tourism and Disney’s own history of edutainment that neatly maintains the themes of the land and the overall park.

I know I’m largely alone on this, but I’ll take Dinoland over TSL any day of the week. For better or worse, Dinoland feels like a slightly satirical version of a roadside tourist trap while TSL feels like a kiddie land full of big props.

PizzaPlanet

I don't know, I really like TSL for what it is. It may seem like just a waste of space on paper, but the rides are simply fun, and I actually think the oversized toy theming is pretty cool. Sure the land isn't perfect, and the money probably could have been better used elsewhere, but I enjoyed what was there. Maybe my nostalgia for Toy Story has something to do with it...

solidyne

On the surface that’s absolutely true. The irony is that at a deeper level, TSL is a cynical attempt to cheaply (for Disney) exploit an overused franchise to add the illusion of value to a long-neglected park while Dinoland is a witty commentary on both American tourism and Disney’s own history of edutainment that neatly maintains the themes of the land and the overall park.

I know I’m largely alone on this, but I’ll take Dinoland over TSL any day of the week. For better or worse, Dinoland feels like a slightly satirical version of a roadside tourist trap while TSL feels like a kiddie land full of big props.
Exactly. Seems like Toy Story Land actually is the kind of thing Chester/Hester is mocking. It's as if the Imagineers aren't in on their own jokes.

Incomudro

You think this stuff looks better than TSL?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

Dollywood never fails to impress. There spending is usually justified. It might be a small little area but it's still more impressive than TSL, IMO.

jt04

TSL will make more sense if it is joined to a larger Pixar area on that side of the park. Which is the rumor.

In any case, it has great appeal to younger families and is a great counterbalance to SW:GE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom