• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Toy Story 4

DisneyGigi

Christina Hendricks
Was about to post that.

I liked the movie and I cried like a baby at the beginning and at the end. It wasn’t as good as 3, IMO. It was a really good movie but I still feel 3 was the better ending- if this is an ending.

Mike S

I caught an 8:00PM screening last night in Times Square and my theater was practically empty! This same theater had a pretty substantial turnout for both Coco and Moana, so that was surprising to me. Apparently this was a fluke, because the movie performed insanely well on opening night, as expected.

Anyway, my overall impression of the movie was...mixed? SPOILERS ahead, for those who want to be surprised.

I do think (as others have said) it felt like the writers had a story they wanted to tell; we can argue back and forth on whether or not this movie "felt" like Toy Story, but I can at least appreciate the clear vision behind it. There were a few things that really worked for me. I don't think Gabby was an especially threatening villain to begin with (it felt like they leaned heavily on the creepiness of the ventriloquist dummies to compensate) but I liked her a lot otherwise. It was interesting to see a villain "neglected" by humans portrayed in a more sympathetic light and given the chance for redemption—a total 180° from Lotso. Bo Peep's transition from background dressing to action girl felt much more seamless than I expected based on the promotional material. For all the screentime she was given, I would have liked some more emotional depth (maybe a closer look at the time she spent with her last kid, or in the antique shop, and how those experiences made her want to be a "lost toy").

I'm sure it will be polarizing, but the ending just didn't do it for me. It isn't that I'm 100% opposed to Woody leaving the gang to start a new chapter of his life. I actually thought it was surprisingly honest of the movie to acknowledge that Andy was irreplaceable to Woody; he obviously cared for Bonnie, but his relationship with her would never compare because his attachment to Andy is so strong. It does undermine the TS3 ending thematically for me (TS3 seemed to emphasize the importance of moving on, while TS4 basically suggests Woody will never have another relationship w/ a child as fulfilling as what he had with Andy), but I'm willing to overlook that because it plays into Woody's character arc nicely.
The problem (at least for me) is that the execution fell SO flat. How do you make a movie where the big emotional twist has Woody closing the door on his current owner and closest friends...and then barely feature any of those characters in the movie, let alone his relationships with them? I understand the logic in spotlighting Bo, Woody's "future," but equal attention should have been given to his "past" - Buzz (who was a comedic footnote in this movie), and Jessie and the rest of the legacy supports who were barely given speaking lines. Why are we supposed to care about Woody saying goodbye to his friends when the movie itself so obviously doesn't?

Forky was thematically important. But Duke Caboom, Bunny and Ducky, Officer Giggle...why did we need a brand new cast of characters when there were plenty of beloved existing characters (the originals, not to mention all of Bonnie's toys introduced in TS3) literally abandoned on the table of the RV for two hours. TS3 balanced the old with the new much more deftly than this movie, which seemed to cast aside the "old" almost entirely. It wasn't awful, but TS3 would definitely have been the preferable sendoff for me. Something about this movie just makes me feel...icky.

Curious to see what you all thought?
I feel about the same.
Personally I was amazing how great the movie looked. The Toy Story movie's CG has come along way in 23 years. That cat looked amazing. Pixar needs to do a Special Edition version of the original Toy Story with an 4K update.

Ditto. But stop there. We don’t need remakes of their whole catalogue.

seascape

Toy Story 4 added another 20 million on Tuesday bringing the domestic box office to 155 million. By the end on Thursday it will pass Us and give Disney the top 4 spots on the domestic list. There is no way this movie will be a failure. It will make money and lots of it. I have always believed it will pass Aladdin and reach the 1 billion worldwide boxoffice total. Thus Disney will have 4 billion dollar grossing movies before the end of the summer.

Mike S

Toy Story 4 added another 20 million on Tuesday bringing the domestic box office to 155 million. By the end on Thursday it will pass Us and give Disney the top 4 spots on the domestic list. There is no way this movie will be a failure. It will make money and lots of it. I have always believed it will pass Aladdin and reach the 1 billion worldwide boxoffice total. Thus Disney will have 4 billion dollar grossing movies before the end of the summer.
I remember when reaching 1 Billion was an extremely rare feat. Now it’s 2 billion I guess.

britain

I have never cried so hard at a Pixar Movie before.

But not for the reasons you’d think.

all the metaphor stuff about retirement, the twilight years, second chances on love, how do we go out into the night gracefully and with dignity… Yes I get that and it was emotionally tugging.

But.

When the toys notice the little girl who is lost at the fair, it got real.

Why do we make these silly movies about toys? Why do we even make toys? To entertain/comfort children. And who needs comfort most of all? The lost. The traumatized.

😢

Excuse me, I have something in my eye!

The ending of the movie? Sure, bittersweet. Like a funeral for someone who has lived a long full life, but is happy to move on. I don’t cry at those kinds of funerals.

But childhood trauma? Sniff...

lee.moles.disney

I loved the movie. I slightly get the 'was this film needed?' senerio but where it's so well made I wouldn't be without it now I've seen it.

I teared up in Bonnies Kindergarden when it came to 'inclusiveness' it's why I love Pixar

HoldenC

We saw it today and I enjoyed it. Toy Story was never my favorite Pixar franchise so i was meh but they did a good job. Nice ending that will hopefully be THE final ending.

Top Bottom