Toxic fandom ?

Sir_Cliff

It is an interesting article and I do often wonder whether Disney fandom is unique in this way, or whether other fandoms are the same in their heated defence of the 'correct' way to be a fan and appreciate whatever the product. I have seen this with bands before, and it's always been a similar dynamic whereby the 'real' fans like how things were before and ridicule those who like what the band has been putting out beyond the end of that time when they were good

One thing that I have always found notable about Disney fandom is the singling out of specific executives as villains and others as heroes valiantly trying to fight the good fight. To a certain extent I think the CEO can wear this as a fairly public figure, but all the nicknames, comments about people's ability to do their job, and on their personal appearance, etc. has been pretty uncomfortable to watch over the years. Also find it a bit strange that so many seem to expect people to quit their jobs rather than develop attractions involving IP.

I say this, mind you, as someone who is fairly critical of a lot of what has been happening recently at WDW!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Right now people are scared. We are experiencing something basically new, nation and world wide. It isn't hard to find the original source of unrest, but unlike unrest in the past, that were people trying to make things right. Now it is about "it's my way or the highway" with little regard for the emotions, needs or empathy for others. "Me First" is the battle cry, "to hell with the rest of you" is the second line of that sign. Hopefully, common sense will happen and right vs. wrong will be recognized because historically without that there will not be a happy ending. A large part of this country has lost its way and since for many years we were considered the model of stability other nations are scared as well. We have an awful lot of weapons of destruction. They have a reason to be concerned.

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

The amount of rudeness I see, not just specifically on Disney forums, but on all platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc..) is mind boggling. Name calling and belittling people because they don't agree with you and having a temper tantrum when they don't share the same opinion as you is immature and ridiculous. I think people have realized with the growth of social media that they can say whatever they want with no repercussions because you're not saying it to the persons face. Keyboard warriors as some call them. As I was driving to work this morning in traffic and watching people swerving in and out of lanes, I thought to myself it's all just a "me first" attitude. People don't care about others anymore. It's all about them. We live in a world now with such instant gratification (you can have an amazon delivery the same day, download a song on your phone in 10 seconds, etc..) people are impatient. I grew up with 3 key phrases: "respect your elders" "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" and "never talk about religion or politics" .. it seems these 3 phrases have gone by the wayside. People are downright rotten to those older then them, insults fly around left and right and so much talk online is arguments about politics and religion. It's truly sad that this is the world now and if we continue down this path, it's not going to be pretty.

TotallyBiased

All due to social media, and primarily FB. It started out nice enough. I enjoyed it. Was great to catch up with family I hadn't seen in ages, keep in touch with old friends and meet up with former classmates and such. It morphed into a shockingly dangerous and powerful platform for manipulation, division, and control. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is. It could be politics, it could be music, it could be food, it could be the damned color of a dress. The first action is label/name-call/belittle and that reaction is reinforced and validated through comment likes, and this escalates and breeds mob-mentalities. I had to bail on it. I was getting into heated fights with siblings over the dumbest stuff and felt compelled to respond to comments that really didn't deserve it.

Weapons of destruction shouldn't scare anyone nearly as much as the media should. And that's not about 'fake media' or any other trigger word garbage. It's simply far to large, has severely consolidated ownership, and out of control with little regulation or responsibility. Just turns people into drones.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well I guess Brian did say it best...
5c30e10349d7a130f5b532e732b444ad--family-guy-humor-family-guy-quotes.jpg

JIMINYCR

It's everywhere. And it has been around well before showing up on the Disney forums. Online fighting and disrespect for someones views that differ from yours has gotten worse over time. Partly because of politics which has emboldened previously quiet posters and also the rise of entitlement being pushed. Some feel they have more right to their opinions than others and any alternate view cant possibly be considered or allowed. Gone are the days when a debate took place where two sides could banter back and forth in a manner where both parties views were listened to and were respected. And now more and more site moderators can decide the fates of what and who can post their views.

UNCgolf

It's definitely not unique to Disney in the slightest. It happens with things like comic books and video games and it happens with sports; there's a ton of infighting among fans about whether this coach should be fired or that player should be released etc.

Some people just like to feel superior to other people and/or fight about it.

Heppenheimer

While such toxicity may be universal, it does seem more jarring and unexpected coming from Disney fans. I’m used to it now, but when I first started following and contributing to the boards here, I was really struck by how, well, un-Disney some of the posts were.
If anything, this website is pretty mild compared to some others I've briefly dabbled in. Maybe put it down to active monitoring. And killing off the politics forum probably helped.

Sir_Cliff

While such toxicity may be universal, it does seem more jarring and unexpected coming from Disney fans. I’m used to it now, but when I first started following and contributing to the boards here, I was really struck by how, well, un-Disney some of the posts were.
Must admit that I have also often wondered what messages some people take away from Disney entertainment.

That said, this is the world we now live in...

1634581500474.png

LittleBuford

I went into the politics forum once for about an hour and that was more than enough for me. Most people have no idea what they're talking about -- and I mean factually, not political opinions. There's just no reason to discuss anything with people who don't have an accurate knowledge base.
I too should have made a speedy exit, but instead I felt an irresistible urge to stay and fight. It felt very important at the time, almost like a duty. As I said, I'm glad I was forced to quit the habit.

TotallyBiased

I too should have made a speedy exit, but instead I felt an irresistible urge to stay and fight. It felt very important at the time, almost like a duty. As I said, I'm glad I was forced to quit the habit.

Very same kind of thing I dealt with on FB, in just about every topic. Was hard to just brush it off and move on without getting into a p'ing contest with someone.

Sir_Cliff

I mean, if you take your lead from these guys . . . ;)

disney-villains.jpg
Yes, maybe we've all just been rooting for different characters all these years without knowing it. For some, Disney offers a land of happy endings and for others more evidence that life is not fair.

I went into the politics forum once for about an hour and that was more than enough for me. Most people have no idea what they're talking about -- and I mean factually, not political opinions. There's just no reason to discuss anything with people who don't have an accurate knowledge base.
I made an exit at a certain point when I found it too frustrating and ultimately pointless. Almost all arguing about politics on the Internet seems more or less that way. Occasionally I'd poke my head in and get irritated enough to post, then immediately regret it and hide from the responses!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom