Tower of Terror's 13th Anniversary is Coming Up -- Any Improvements?

andre85

Original Poster
I recall reading a few years ago that Tower of Terror would receive an update during its 13th anniversary (which of course is an "unlucky" number, and corresponds with the # of floors in the attraction).

Well, it looks like the 13th year is upon us, and thus I was wondering if there's any chance of this still happening? While I can't imagine many ways they could make this near-perfect attraction any better, I'm sure the Imagineers have a few tricks up their sleeves.

no2apprentice

The only thing I remember reading was mention of TOT 5, but I can't recall if that was wishful thinking or a "substantiated" rumor.:shrug:

Coreo

I would like to see new effects in the 5th dimension scene. I think all sequences should feature at least 1 full drop from the 13th floor.

ToTBellHop

Doesn't look like anything will happen...pretty unfortunate. MGM could use something to market for the summer...the problem is how to market it. They already market it as "no two rides are the same," which we all know isn't the case--a computer just chooses from 4 possible drop sequences. Would the motto for ToT5 be "now, no 2 rides are the same...we promise!" I don't understand what the problem is in completely randomizing it. Create, say, 20 different things the Tower can do (e.g. "drop all the way to the bottom", "drop 20 feet then rise 10", "drop to the bottom, show false ending, and shoot back to top horton doors", etc) and have the computer randomly combine these. They can set the program so that the maximum time in the drop shaft never changes by more than a couple seconds, and the drop sequence would be truly random.

Tom Morrow

I would like to see new effects in the 5th dimension scene. I think all sequences should feature at least 1 full drop from the 13th floor.
If they ever getting around to doing a large rehab/upgrade other than reprogramming/adding more drop sequences, they are going to change the 5th dimension scene. To this day most guests still don't really know what it is supposed to represent, even though it is cool looking. It is supposed to appear that you are floating up an elevator shaft as if you were on your back looking up. Of course, its during this scene that you enter The Twilight Zone.

While it is still a cool scene, I think it would be great if they changed it to something that had more to do with the story.

Oh, and the four sequences now all have one full rise and drop.

Fun fact: The "top" is actually the 9th floor from the building's standpoint, but really is a little over 13 stories high.

ToTBellHop

It is supposed to appear that you are floating up an elevator shaft as if you were on your back looking up. Of course, its during this scene that you enter The Twilight Zone.
Wow...didn't know that. Guess it wasn't executed as well as it could be haha. That's a little too abstract to simulate, though.

kcnole

I'd like to see it get the storyline from Tokyo. They could find a way to make it still tie in to Twilight Zone but the effects from that story with the statue disappearing and all are just so much better than our older effects.

Tim G

It would be fun while during the drop the elevator would get stuck, with alot of screeching etc. etc... for a minute or so... and then all of the sudden... !!! BAM... Going doooooown... :D

Would be very easy to construct... and a great effect! :D

ToTBellHop

...and, this would be CHEAP. Just write some new programs. It's a missed opportunity. Something cheap that they could premiere at MGM and DCA at the same time? Should be right up Rasulo's alley...if only we can sneak Ratatouille into the storyline. Oh, I got it. Borrow from the Tokyo story but the evil idol will be a Ratatouille figurine...

Tom Morrow

Wow...didn't know that. Guess it wasn't executed as well as it could be haha. That's a little too abstract to simulate, though.
Yep, in fact, as you approach the starfield doors, if you look to the side, you will see a sideways elevator door.

It would be fun while during the drop the elevator would get stuck, with alot of screeching etc. etc... for a minute or so... and then all of the sudden... !!! BAM... Going doooooown... :D

Would be very easy to construct... and a great effect! :D

Well, it pretty much does this at least once in each sequence (simulate getting stuck)... except without screeching noises. The screeching might be a little too much.

Tim G

Yep, in fact, as you approach the starfield doors, if you look to the side, you will see a sideways elevator door.

Well, it pretty much does this at least once in each sequence (simulate getting stuck)... except without screeching noises. The screeching might be a little too much.
Nah... it only holds the drop... nothing abrupt... I mean real stuck... WITH a lot of noise... Somewhere not far from the top... jsut sitting there for 2 or 3 minutes... shaking... screeching... tiny shocks down... but not a drop... and then GO!

The only thing would be the duration of the ride... The goal with big attractions like this is to move through as many as 2,500 guests an hour... and we would never get the 2,500 guests through in an hour... not with the "stuck" scene, like I planned it, build in...

Ok... Back to the drawing board... :lookaroun

ToTBellHop

I guess I had noticed the sideways elevator doors, but never made the connection that they were trying to simulate that...it doesn't make much sense, really. I'll go back to pretending it's just a weird room. :)

Nah... it only holds the drop... nothing abrupt... I mean real stuck... WITH a lot of noise... Somewhere not far from the top... jsut siiting there for 2 or 3 minutes... shaking... screeching... tiny shocks down... but not a drop... and then GO!
that would do a number on the hourly capacity...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom