Tower Of Terror (UPDATED, PLEASE REREAD)

MattyMitch

Original Poster
I've actually been in the maintenance room on a tour a couple years ago.
It looks like a fairly normal professional garage and if I remember correctly takes up the bottom northwest corner of the show building with access to the parking garage and service alleys off of Cypress dr. It was fairly small too- with only space for two vehicles to be worked on at once, and I believe vehicles can be switched to manual control via a cable remote and "walked" outside of the bay to make more room. Since all the vehicles are trackless, the computer simply tells them when to go to maintenance and the trundle down the corridor to the bays by themselves. I remember seeing black marks on the ground in and near the garage where the vehicles' wheels had run over the same paths, year after year.
Looking at the diagram, I assume, but don't know for certain that the maintenance corridor is just an offshoot of the 1st floor (yellow) on Martin's diagram, going off to the left.
I'll add a couple points:

There are two maintenance bays for Tower, one on each side. I've also seen lights-on photos showing that there are some tool cases and workbenches on the Unload level next to the Load shafts. Presumably it's so they can do simple maintenance and inspections on the vehicles when the ride is powered down rather than pull them into the maintenance bay.

Seatbelts do not have to be buckled when the vehicle leaves Unload. It's up to the CM working the Unload point to make sure the vehcile is clear of people and objects before they press the button that sends the car on its way. The ride system takes care of it from there.

-Rob

Guys do you know how the AGV (I think its called that) gets secured in to the cage that moves up and down??

MattyMitch

Original Poster
So when I was talking about seat belts and there being some LED Lights I finally found a photo on a blog that shows them, I think! So you can see a panel with the seating layout on. Its located on the right of the door. You can see there is 3 rows of 3 on the right side and 3 rows of 4 on the left side. I think these light up when they are at load. I think so anyway! Or it could be the left side there is a box that looks like it could be opened. I'm not sure though!

Attachments

• blogger-image--349638777.jpg
    blogger-image--349638777.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 266

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you know about the LED light???
Yep.

Each LED corresponds to a seat. They blink quickly when the belt is fastened. A slow flash is a fault or an incorrectly fastened belt. A dark light should correspond to an empty seat.

Then you have guests self cert their belts to show the company's equipment is working.

Then you have the arms in the air to prove no one is sat on a hand or is pulling the belt loose.

Then a final glance at the board should show the same as the first check.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The WDSP / DCA / TDS VVC is slightly different to Orlando's:

image.jpeg

But they work the same. The AGV slides in and engages with VVC clamps that hold onto latches on the AGV itself. The VVC also has two hydraulic clamps that attatch to the front of the AGV to prevent it moving.

MattyMitch

Original Poster
Yep.

Each LED corresponds to a seat. They blink quickly when the belt is fastened. A slow flash is a fault or an incorrectly fastened belt. A dark light should correspond to an empty seat.

Then you have guests self cert their belts to show the company's equipment is working.

Then you have the arms in the air to prove no one is sat on a hand or is pulling the belt loose.

Then a final glance at the board should show the same as the first check.
I thought so I said this before but nobody knew what I was talking about

MattyMitch

Original Poster
The WDSP / DCA / TDS VVC is slightly different to Orlando's:

View attachment 114196

But they work the same. The AGV slides in and engages with VVC clamps that hold onto latches on the AGV itself. The VVC also has two hydraulic clamps that attatch to the front of the AGV to prevent it moving.

Are these clamps locked by a trigger sent to them by a sensor when the agv is in place?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'll add a couple points:

There are two maintenance bays for Tower, one on each side. I've also seen lights-on photos showing that there are some tool cases and workbenches on the Unload level next to the Load shafts. Presumably it's so they can do simple maintenance and inspections on the vehicles when the ride is powered down rather than pull them into the maintenance bay.

Seatbelts do not have to be buckled when the vehicle leaves Unload. It's up to the CM working the Unload point to make sure the vehcile is clear of people and objects before they press the button that sends the car on its way. The ride system takes care of it from there.

-Rob
Just a correction - there's just one maintainence bay. On Echo side. Foxtrot has space to hold an AGV until needed later in the day (or else it'd need bringing from maintainence which is a convoluted pain) but there is no service area over on Foxtrot.

Seat belts indeed don't need to be buckled between unload and load. The vehicle is perfectly rideable back up to load.

MattyMitch

Original Poster
Just a correction - there's just one maintainence bay. On Echo side. Foxtrot has space to hold an AGV until needed later in the day (or else it'd need bringing from maintainence which is a convoluted pain) but there is no service area over on Foxtrot.

Seat belts indeed don't need to be buckled between unload and load. The vehicle is perfectly rideable back up to load.

Is there a link of track between foxtrot and echo for the AGVs to pass through?? I was also wondering about the control pannel you see when you board. When I was there the cast member pressed a button and it took a while for the lift to come. I was wondering if there was a sequence it went through before the agv came. But how did he know the agv was there? And what do all the other buttons do because he didnt seem to press many when we were loading. I couldnt find a picture but im sure theres on somewhere. You can see it on the videos of tower of terror with line.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is there a link of track between foxtrot and echo for the AGVs to pass through??
Yes. Not track though. Remember this is a trackless ride!

Imagine you're stood between the two unload doors in the basement. Face towards the photo desk and edit. Behind you is a door. Behind that is a corridor that leads to the service elevator back to load amongst other places.

In that corridor part of the floor is a bridge with roller shutters either side. The floor lifts up, doors roll up, and AGVs can pass from one side to another.

MattyMitch

Original Poster
Yes. Not track though. Remember this is a trackless ride!

Imagine you're stood between the two unload doors in the basement. Face towards the photo desk and edit. Behind you is a door. Behind that is a corridor that leads to the service elevator back to load amongst other places.

In that corridor part of the floor is a bridge with roller shutters either side. The floor lifts up, doors roll up, and AGVs can pass from one side to another.

So when they want to add in another AGV how do they stop a back log of agvs??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom