Rumor Tower of Terror to gain new theme?

Movielover

When someone opens a closed container in the drop shaft. More often than you’d think.

Popcorn all over the AVG, VVC, and by virtue of the ride, the drop shaft too.

Attachments

• 1516542138474.png
    1516542138474.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 39

Tom Morrow

I'm still kind of new around here so I don't know if we have one or not but maybe we should make a Tower of Terror effects status thread like the Everest one. Just a suggestion.
There was this one.:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tower-of-terror-effects-status-watch.861775/

Every ride should really have it's own status thread that's continuously updated with observations.

Yeah, it was tried for a few rides, but they all didn't spend very long on the first page. The only reason people still respond to the Everest thread is that it's stubbornly been stickied for over 10 years. There are actually significantly more issues to report with Tower of Terror, and many other attractions, than Everest.

CoasterSnoop

Sorry, I just don't get the discussion on ditching the TZ aspect of the TOT. The way the ride handles the IP is just done so well, and I feel kicking out that element and either choosing a different horror IP or creating a new story from the ground up (something that recent WDI projects have proven they're not willing to do) would require a major script rewrite and re-recordings, which is too much extra work when what's there right now is still exceptional, just in dire need of maintenance. Particularly the 5th Dimension scene, which is a great idea that just needs simple improvements after over 20 years of stagnation.

JoeCamel

Yeah, it was tried for a few rides, but they all didn't spend very long on the first page. The only reason people still respond to the Everest thread is that it's stubbornly been stickied for over 10 years. There are actually significantly more issues to report with Tower of Terror, and many other attractions, than Everest.
But Everest is more fun. It has a great big static yeti to poke sticks at.

Tom Morrow

But Everest is more fun. It has a great big static yeti to poke sticks at.
Yeah, but it means that people focus all their attention on the yeti and ignore the huge list of show issues elsewhere.

I'm also very tired of exchanges like this in real life:
Me: Expedition Everest is one of my favorite rides at Disney and I love the theming and atmosphere it has.
Some nerd in an attempt to appear knowledgeable and "in the know" about theme parks: "Yeah, but the YETI though lolololol"

Besides, the excitement factor on Everest is less affected by show than rides like Tower of Terror because it is a roller coaster. I have ridden both with the lights on and show off. Tower of Terror is 75% show, even the drops. You'd be surprised how much more tame the drop sequences are without darkness and effects.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Besides, the excitement factor on Everest is less affected by show than rides like Tower of Terror because it is a roller coaster. I have ridden both with the lights on and show off. Tower of Terror is 75% show, even the drops. You'd be surprised how much more tame the drop sequences are without darkness and effects.

I'm sure this reporter would be relieved to hear that...

Myth Maker

Honestly I do not believe the Twilight Zone is required for this attraction anymore. It isn't very relevant and isn't really included that much in the ride at all.

Just replace it with "Tower of Terror".. Redo the queue line with a new video and boom done... Easy enough to remove and honestly I hardly believe anyone will miss it.

You can keep the same story, same scenes, same everything pretty much... Just replace the pre-show video.

Haymarket2008

Honestly I do not believe the Twilight Zone is required for this attraction anymore. It isn't very relevant and isn't really included that much in the ride at all.

Just replace it with "Tower of Terror".. Redo the queue line with a new video and boom done... Easy enough to remove and honestly I hardly believe anyone will miss it.

You can keep the same story, same scenes, same everything pretty much... Just replace the pre-show video.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd assume many feel the exact opposite of your statement. Relevancy, in regards to theme park attractions, is.....irrelevant. The classic argument: Is Song of the South "relevant" and does that have any bearing on the success of Splash Mountain? No, I do not believe so. I think Twilight Zone enhances the experience, imho.

Myth Maker

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd assume many feel the exact opposite of your statement. Relevancy, in regards to theme park attractions, is.....irrelevant. The classic argument: Is Song of the South "relevant" and does that have any bearing on the success of Splash Mountain? No, I do not believe so. I think Twilight Zone enhances the experience, imho.

Put another guy in a suit and speak the exact same pre-show and replace the line "you are now entering the twilight zone" with something else and how much difference would it really make?

gustaftp

Not very relevant to WHAT? It still has scores of fans to this day, and this ride introduces more people to it. TZ wasn't exactly a "relevant" franchise when this attraction was built. Neither was Splash Mountain, for that matter.

In fact, DCA was a stab to try and create something "relevant" as well as "hip and trendy". We all know how well that concept turned out.

TrojanUSC

Yeah, but it means that people focus all their attention on the yeti and ignore the huge list of show issues elsewhere.

I'm also very tired of exchanges like this in real life:
Me: Expedition Everest is one of my favorite rides at Disney and I love the theming and atmosphere it has.
Some nerd in an attempt to appear knowledgeable and "in the know" about theme parks: "Yeah, but the YETI though lolololol"

The Yeti, when it was fully functioning, was a cool effect but for me it was so hyped up that when I finally experienced it I found it to be somewhat of a letdown. You travel by it so fast that whether it's moving or not is not a huge deal. Would it be cooler if it was moving? Absolutely. Had the ride been designed, for example, to stop in front of the Yeti then for a moment, before suddenly accelerating then it would have been a bigger loss to see it frozen.

As far as Tower, I concur that Tower is far more show than people realize. The ride system is actually very very controlled and quite smooth. Riding with the sound off is a creepy experience precisely because of just how quiet the whole thing is. It's essentially just a very fast elevator, so the challenge for WDI was to take this very smooth controlled experience and make it seem like the opposite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom