Tower of Terror Sheriff's Incident Report

peter11435

col said:
i understand that - everybody is entitled to their own opinion. but people should really wait for the medical report before they start assuming/speculating things because eveyone adds stuff to rumors, we should all wait for the medical report.
I think it is simply human nature to be curious about these things, and even though we are not doctors some people have enough experience such as Tigsmom, to make logical assumtions based on the facts we do have.

col

peter11435 said:
I think it is simply human nature to be curious about these things, and even though we are not doctors some people have enough experience such as Tigsmom, to make logical assumtions based on the facts we do have.

what facts do you have- as ive been reading the thread and everyone has different ideas. one thing everyone is saying is that she had headaches before going on the ride- that could of been from the heat? as im sure some have had headaches caused by the heat.

peter11435

col said:
what facts do you have- as ive been reading the thread and everyone has different ideas. one thing everyone is saying is that she had headaches before going on the ride- that could of been from the heat? as im sure some have had headaches caused by the heat.
We have many facts:
-nothing went wrong with the ride.
-21 other guests got off the ride from her vehicle with no problems.
-She had complained of leg cramps and headaches for a few days.
-She had ridden the ride several times that week this being the first with a problem.
-Her heart stopped on the way to the hospital.
-She had surgery on her brain to remove blood on the brain.
-They removed a blood clot from here brain.

With these facts we can rule out DVT (from the airplane), and assume that with are (limited) medical knowledge that the girl had a ruptured aneurysm.

And yes the headaches may very well have been from the heat, I get headaches often from the heat (I walk around Disney with Tylenol). However I would be concerned if I had a headache that lasted for days as hers apparently did.

col

peter11435 said:
We have many facts:
-nothing went wrong with the ride.
-21 other guests got off the ride from her vehicle with no problems.
-She had complained of leg cramps and headaches for a few days.
-She had ridden the ride several times that week this being the first with a problem.
-Her heart stopped on the way to the hospital.
-She had surgery on her brain to remove blood on the brain.
-They removed a blood clot from here brain.

With these facts we can rule out DVT (from the airplane), and assume that with are (limited) medical knowledge that the girl had a ruptured aneurysm.

And yes the headaches may very well have been from the heat, I get headaches often from the heat (I walk around Disney with Tylenol). However I would be concerned if I had a headache that lasted for days as hers apparently did.

those facts where very interesting, thanks.
but after reading them ive just got one question: even though she had been on the tower of terror before why didnt she have these symptoms after going on it first?
plus an aneurysm can be brought on by sneezing ( even though it sounds weird its true).

even though this is a sad thing to happen nothing is safe it may have been the ride or something wrong with the girl herself, i just hope it gets sorted soon and that the girl and her family are alright.

tigsmom

col said:

First off let me say that I am an RN with almost 30 years experience. I have also been following the story and posting the main thread that is also in this forum. Not sure how many of the people posting here have read thru that.
Based on my nursing knowledge/experience AND from reading what the paramedics reported (her symptoms when they found her) I will stand by my original "educated guess" (as posted in the original thread) that she had a cerebral bleed. (The doctors reported removing a large clot from her brain.)

Yes the headaches and leg cramps can come from dehydration/heat exhaustion, but a sudden severe headache (which is what she complained of) after the ride should set off alarms. They are not normal and need to be investigated.

It is also human nature when something like this happens to try to understand how it happened, especially when it is unexpected and happens to someone so young.

I am sure everyone's thoughts are with this young lady & her family. :wave:

tigsmom

col said:
those facts where very interesting, thanks.
but after reading them ive just got one question: even though she had been on the tower of terror before why didnt she have these symptoms after going on it first?
plus an aneurysm can be brought on by sneezing ( even though it sounds weird its true).

even though this is a sad thing to happen nothing is safe it may have been the ride or something wrong with the girl herself, i just hope it gets sorted soon and that the girl and her family are alright.

An anneurysm is not brought on by sneezing. It is a weakening and balooning of a blood vessel in the body. A rupture can and has been brought on by sneezing (which causes a momentary increase in pressure). It could have broken in her sleep, on the monorail or anywhere else for that matter.

CrashNet

I skimmed this thread, so forgive me if I ask a question that has already been answered.

1. Are cerebral hemmorhages really just freak occurances that can happen to anyone, or is there something that could increase the risks of having one? I just don't fully understand how active, young people can have things this critical happen.

2. Someone mentioned sneezing causing a ruptured blood vessel. Would you have to have a diagnosed condition (or one that hasn't surfaced) to cause the ballooning of a blood vessel like that?

tigsmom

cac2889 said:
I skimmed this thread, so forgive me if I ask a question that has already been answered.

1. Are cerebral hemorrhages really just freak occurances that can happen to anyone, or is there something that could increase the risks of having one? I just don't fully understand how active, young people can have things this critical happen.

2. Someone mentioned sneezing causing a ruptured blood vessel. Would you have to have a diagnosed condition (or one that hasn't surfaced) to cause the ballooning of a blood vessel like that?

1.) Cerebral hemorrhages can happen at birth or anytime thereafter.. There is really no predicting it; they can be just freak occurances or come from a disease process. Some diseases may make you more suseptable to them.

2.)Many people do not know they have an anneurysm until it ruptures. Some people may experience warning signs and seek help and it is found, others just ignore the signs. They can be fixed if found before a rupture.

col

tigsmom said:
First off let me say that I am an RN with almost 30 years experience. I have also been following the story and posting the main thread that is also in this forum. Not sure how many of the people posting here have read thru that.
Based on my nursing knowledge/experience AND from reading what the paramedics reported (her symptoms when they found her) I will stand by my original "educated guess" (as posted in the original thread) that she had a cerebral bleed. (The doctors reported removing a large clot from her brain.)

Yes the headaches and leg cramps can come from dehydration/heat exhaustion, but a sudden severe headache (which is what she complained of) after the ride should set off alarms. They are not normal and need to be investigated.

It is also human nature when something like this happens to try to understand how it happened, especially when it is unexpected and happens to someone so young.

I am sure everyone's thoughts are with this young lady & her family. :wave:

im not going against your education or knowledge, i was just saying it could be down to stuff thats going on in the girls body- she could have been taking tablets or medication- it could be a number of things. and then aganin it could be a reaction to something- nobody knows.

md0u80a2

Paediatric neurology opinion

Hi

Ok, I have skimmed all the threads and this is my take.

This young lady was tragically unlucky.

Did the flight have anything to do with things? Of course not. This perception that lights can cause clots all over the body is rubbish. The low 02 and lack of movement (venous stasis) can increase risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis and secondary Pulmonary Emboli, but mainly in those with pre-existing morbidity (Fat, Drunk, Smokers, The pill, female, past history of clots, hypercoagulation disorders, etc). A flight does not mean a spontaneous huge clot can appear in your brain.

So what did this young lady have? From what I have read, a cerebral Haemorrhage. So why talk of a clot? Simple, you bleed into a sealed box (skull) and a clot forms.
This led to all of her symptoms. The sudden rupture of an cerebral annuerysm is likely, but any acute bleed could cause this - subarachnoird, etc.
Why did her heart stop? The pressure in her head was probably so large that in was damaging the normal messages required for cardiovascular function. These kids strangely get high bllod pressure and low pulse, where as most people under stress get the opposite.
What about the prior headache - could be unrelated or could be start of slow bleed.

So the big questions -
did the ride cause it? Unlikely.
Did the ride set it off? Probable.
Should it be closed down? Of course not! Any stress could have set off the bleed. Diving, football, a drink/drug binge, you name it! Most thrill rides do just that and so they warn you that you must be of good health to ride - to be able to deal with stress.

Now of course, I am not suggesting this was her fault. What I am suggesting is the unlucky people with such problems are at risk form any stress and population screening would frankly be not cost effective (maybe one life per 3-5 million dollars - better off spending money hiring personal trainers to train up all the fat kids who will be dead at 40 from diabetes/heart disease or paying cash for people to join Bone marrow registers so we can cure more metabolic children early so they doulbe there life expectancy).

This is a horrific accident, but it sounds like disney responded well and I dont think the family or disney or any one is at fault. And I dont think that the occasions when undiagnosed heart/chest/vascular problems cause these sort of incidents are reasons to stop thrill rides. At most, a warning that there is a chance you may have an undiagnosed condition that could respond badly to the high stresses of the ride or something.

Now when a cable breaks or cars fall off tracks, then I will blame disney!!!

Hope that opinion is of interest,

Md0u80a2
Paediatric Neurologist

tigsmom

col said:
im not going against your education or knowledge, i was just saying it could be down to stuff thats going on in the girls body- she could have been taking tablets or medication- it could be a number of things. and then aganin it could be a reaction to something- nobody knows.

I know you weren't. Just giving background info since we don't know each other. :wave:

col

tigsmom said:
I know you weren't. Just giving background info since we don't know each other. :wave:

im really greatful for your insight in this discussion.
its nice to communicate with people from the world, HI :wave: .

wdwishes2005

md0u80a2 said:
Now when a cable breaks or cars fall off tracks, then I will blame disney!!!

hopefully it won't but, i agree, the only thing i'd blame disney for is mechanical failure i.e. big thunder mountain.

sillyspook13

On a side note, all "I survived Tower of Terror" merchandise has been pulled from stock. Heard it straight from merchandise planning.

It's time to ask ourselves, "When is the point that we've gone overboard?" :brick:

wdwishes2005

sillyspook13 said:
On a side note, all "I survived Tower of Terror" merchandise has been pulled from stock. Heard it straight from merchandise planning.

It's time to ask ourselves, "When is the point that we've gone overboard?" :brick:

Wow, talk about ironic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom