Tower of Terror effects status watch

Movielover

After some thinking, I believe that why the sound effect entering the drop shaft is quieter now entering the drop shaft is that they switched what speaker it plays out of. Previously, it always played out of the VVC speakers however now that the sound effect returned on Echo despite the VVC speakers not working, I think it got switched to play out of the shaft speakers instead. I do hope in the future that once the speakers get fixed, that the sound effect is switched back to play out of the VVC speakers so it is more audible again.

It could be that the effect was played out of both, but with one not working it now comes across as weak or different. Shame really as a audio guy I can guess that the speakers have simply worked themselves loose inside their coverings. Something that an easy fix of opening them up and re-tightening the screws. Now it may be something more but still, such a shame.

Tom Morrow

After some thinking, I believe that why the sound effect entering the drop shaft is quieter now entering the drop shaft is that they switched what speaker it plays out of. Previously, it always played out of the VVC speakers however now that the sound effect returned on Echo despite the VVC speakers not working, I think it got switched to play out of the shaft speakers instead. I do hope in the future that once the speakers get fixed, that the sound effect is switched back to play out of the VVC speakers so it is more audible again.
The drop shaft audio is supposed to play out of both.

Rodj

I also wanted to give an update on the Memory Maker video, which now is a bit... odd. The women's voice is absent, makes less sense story wise, the BGM is all wonky, and it seems that it skips the hallway camera entirely now. This is what I believe is TDO's way of "fixing" the memory maker system problems. Video if anyone wants to see how bad it is now:

Tom Morrow

How hard is it to adjust the timing so you actually get the drop on camera? Another case of "TDO is too lazy and cheap to adjust some settings on some computers."

Rodj

I got a good partial update, but it could be more. A live stream yesterday that was showing the outside of the ToT shown the 11th doors fully working again on Echo! Unfortunately, they never rode it so there is a possibility some other things such as the speakers could be fixed. If someone could get on and get a video that would be appreciated to see if anything else gotten better.

Last edited:
Brand new to the forums, but been a fan of Disney for a while. I've been anon following some threads about the Tower here for a while, and I went on the Tower for the first time in 10 years on Saturday (4 times total this weekend). I have 5 things to report.

First: it seems Echo's sound issues might be resolved from what I heard on the ride, but I'm not sure of that because I don't know how it sounded with the issues. The audio was pretty loud though, from what I heard, and seemed to be fairly consistent in volume.

Second: I'm pretty sure random drop profiles are back on Echo! The first 2 times I rode were the same (I think Profile 1) and didn't have the ghosts in the drop shaft, the third time was different (I think it was 4 because it went up, but it still didn't have the ghosts), but the fourth time (I think it was 2) it went all the way down and had the ghosts! I know Echo was having issues with its drop profiles for a while, so I'm happy to report this.

Third: the fake motor for Alpha and Bravo was working when I went on the ride all four times. Maybe it got fixed, maybe it was temporarily shut off, but it makes the noise, has the lights, and moves.

Fourth: Unfortunately able to see the glass the ghosts are projected on in the Hallway, and the scene doesn't quite get dim enough for the corridor to disappear.

Fifth: The Fifth Dimension scene/horizontal elevator shaft or whatever it's supposed to represent seems right. You can see some of the props behind the glass before it goes dark, but it's not easy and your eyes have to adjust to see them. The one problem I've seen with it is the eye. The projection on the eye is too blurry, both for the iris and the ride car. Transition into the shaft is lit up a bit by the doors further above that don't seem to be closing right on Echo, but it's not too bad.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I also wanted to give an update on the Memory Maker video, which now is a bit... odd. The women's voice is absent, makes less sense story wise, the BGM is all wonky, and it seems that it skips the hallway camera entirely now. This is what I believe is TDO's way of "fixing" the memory maker system problems. Video if anyone wants to see how bad it is now:

Well that was pathetic.

Chef Mickey

As has been stated elsewhere in this thread, this can be mitigated by turning the back-lights off when the video isn't running.

Better yet, they should switch to OLED displays. Especially with a good 4k display, one could effectively simulate an old CRT, and completely avoid the back-light issue.
And have burn in like the ones in Flight of Passage. OLED would be a terrible idea for a repetitive video.

Good QLED Samsung have nearly total blackness.

And have burn in like the ones in Flight of Passage. OLED would be a terrible idea for a repetitive video.

Good QLED Samsung have nearly total blackness.
I think that's a good idea, but I personally think they should switch to CRT screens. I can see not doing it if there are actual problems with CRT screens being used, but honestly there's just a layer of authenticity to CRTs that QLEDs and OLEDs can't simulate.

On a tech note, CRT also have a curved screen, especially the older ones. Maybe the techs could make a CRT-style monitor using a modern rear projector? My home theater projector has variable shutter that does go full black if no video signal.

Those of us who remember Twilight Zone era CRT are getting fewer every day.....

Magenta Panther

Why in hell did TDO inflict these effect-destroying "updates" on the Tower? Especially in the corridor scene? The original deep-velvet black was chilling and really made you feel like the elevator was stranded in open space. WHY TDO, WHY???? WHY ARE YOU DESTROYING THIS RIDE??? DHS has little enough in it already. And it could very well be that the anticipated enthusiasm for Galaxy's Edge could be way overblown as per Disneyland's. If you're depending on THAT to get people to visit pitiful DHS, you might be sorely disappointed. So spend a little money for god's sake and fix these issues in the Tower! Have some respect for what your BETTERS created! You think people won't notice? You don't want repeat visits from people who have been loyal customers, as opposed to newbies who are just as likely to jump ship and gravitate to Universal? (And who could blame them?) Get your rears in gear and act like Imagineers instead of penny-pinching carnival hacks!

Why in hell did TDO inflict these effect-destroying "updates" on the Tower? Especially in the corridor scene? The original deep-velvet black was chilling and really made you feel like the elevator was stranded in open space.
I'd say it's likely they felt the technology was getting dated and didn't anticipate the problems that arose from updating it. I mean, we have had some fantastic leaps and bounds in projection technology since the Tower was made. I wouldn't blame them if it was a case of "we have this cool new projector system, and the one in the Tower's getting up there in years... maybe we should replace it", and as much as I dislike how it looks now, I do have to admit that this is probably why they did it. New visitors don't notice it as much as longtime Tower fans, after all, and they want as many new visitors as possible.

I for one am just glad they seem to have brought back the drop profiles on Echo and can mostly forgive the rest of the updates, though the library TV is just unforgivable.

Magenta Panther

I'd say it's likely they felt the technology was getting dated and didn't anticipate the problems that arose from updating it. I mean, we have had some fantastic leaps and bounds in projection technology since the Tower was made. I wouldn't blame them if it was a case of "we have this cool new projector system, and the one in the Tower's getting up there in years... maybe we should replace it", and as much as I dislike how it looks now, I do have to admit that this is probably why they did it. New visitors don't notice it as much as longtime Tower fans, after all, and they want as many new visitors as possible.

I for one am just glad they seem to have brought back the drop profiles on Echo and can mostly forgive the rest of the updates, though the library TV is just unforgivable.

But if the "fix" isn't as effective as a system that was VERY effective and still working, then it was a -poor decision to replace it IMO. The least TDO could do is try to tweak it, if possible.

Is the audio in the libraries still quiet? They really need to crank that up.
Yeah, unfortunately. It's able to be heard if everyone is quiet, but you know. People.

At least the library TVs LCD backlighting only engages now when the video begins. Originally they glowed even when you entered. They took a lesson from SSE.
Was that recently? My last ride, the screen was still lit up when we entered the library and when we left.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom