Tower of Terror effects status watch

thelookingglass

Original Poster
Never been to Disneyland but I have been on Transformers and Spiderman. Actually lift wise I always favor the lifts all the way down as you walk through the basement. Not sure if those 2 are working right compared to the others????
Ehh, it depends on what you're listening for, I guess. I feel as though the two on the right, when facing the elevators (AKA "Foxtrot" side), are usually better looking/sounding.

ToT is somewhat unique in that there are four separate ride paths, four separate first on-ride scenes, etc. So I can understand how discrepancies develop over time, what bothers me is when they don't go addressed for years.
Did you leave feedback at guest services?
I have in the past and have also emailed wdw.guest.communications , I got thanked for the feedback, etc...

Tom Morrow

So they replaced the TV screen with a new LED screen, and altered the sound system, and for what? The TV is NOT supposed to be modern, state-of-the-art - it's supposed to look like a '60's television!
*1930's television!

Which is actually one of the few "plot holes" in the ride, if you will. Televisions existed in 1939, but they were nowhere near that big. But a realistically sized 1939 television would not be adequate for a pre-show.

Magenta Panther

*1930's television!

Which is actually one of the few "plot holes" in the ride, if you will. Televisions existed in 1939, but they were nowhere near that big. But a realistically sized 1939 television would not be adequate for a pre-show.

Are you sure about the 1930's television? The intro by Rod Serling on the library TV set is supposed to be, like, an episode of "The Twilight Zone". At least that's what I've always assumed. Since that show aired in the 1960's, I thought the TV was supposed to resemble one from that time...

Tom Morrow

Are you sure about the 1930's television? The intro by Rod Serling on the library TV set is supposed to be, like, an episode of "The Twilight Zone". At least that's what I've always assumed. Since that show aired in the 1960's, I thought the TV was supposed to resemble one from that time...
I guess that makes sense for the look of the TV, but from a story perspective, the "libraries" are also showcases for expensive and rare collectibles the hotel owns which are on display, and also a television set would be an impressive thing to own at that time, so it would make sense that a high class hotel would have one. It's been abandoned since the event in 1939 and the lightning storm ignites it to life, which is why having it already on when you walk in is annoying.

Magenta Panther

I guess that makes sense for the look of the TV, but from a story perspective, the "libraries" are also showcases for expensive and rare collectibles the hotel owns which are on display, and also a television set would be an impressive thing to own at that time, so it would make sense that a high class hotel would have one. It's been abandoned since the event in 1939 and the lightning storm ignites it to life, which is why having it already on when you walk in is annoying.

I can't believe somebody changed that effect. What the...WHY??? I swear, there are times when I want to chase down whoever's in charge of the attractions at WDW and kick their butt, and this is one of those times...so what does the TV look like when you walk in? A blank, lit-up screen?

mergatroid

When did this change, I never noticed it back in October?

mergatroid

Sometime in the last year and change when they changed out the CRT TV's with LCD HDTV's. By "already on" I'm referring to the screen being illuminated, not that the video is already playing.

Thanks, I genuinely hadn't noticed that at all. Perhaps because I've ridden it so much I wasn't paying much attention in the 'library'? I've seen that preshow so many times now that instead I concentrate more now on the artifacts than the tv itself.

Having said that, it doesn't sound as good as the original format if it indeed doesn't 'flicker on' anymore.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks, I genuinely hadn't noticed that at all. Perhaps because I've ridden it so much I wasn't paying much attention in the 'library'? I've seen that preshow so many times now that instead I concentrate more now on the artifacts than the tv itself.

Having said that, it doesn't sound as good as the original format if it indeed doesn't 'flicker on' anymore.
The actual footage is the same, if clearly poorly digitised, including the animated flicker on and off.

The whole screen itself has a uniform dark grey glow to it when you enter and exit. It is now clearly working when you enter the room and looses the surprise.

mergatroid

The actual footage is the same, if clearly poorly digitised, including the animated flicker on and off.

The whole screen itself has a uniform dark grey glow to it when you enter and exit. It is now clearly working when you enter the room and looses the surprise.

Wouldn't really bother me if I'm honest but as you say could spoil the surprise somewhat for those who haven't been before. Surely it couldn't be that hard to have it altered to pitch black though could it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wouldn't really bother me if I'm honest but as you say could spoil the surprise somewhat for those who haven't been before. Surely it couldn't be that hard to have it altered to pitch black though could it?
It's the same problem Spaceship Earth had in 2007. And they thought it enough of a problem to fix it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom