Tower of Terror, discussion... CONTAINS ILLUSION SPOILERS!

slacker

it's super pretty, but if it wasn't shaped similarly to disneyland's tower i wouldn't have known it was a tower of terror. It doesn't look that spooky. Walking through MGM's tower is scarier than the drop itself. I'm quite convinced that's why i'll have a hard time trying to get my 9 year old sister on it this summer.

Anyways, that building's awesome.. but i prefer disney world's. WOOO

Cole'sMom

I have never been to Tokyo Disney, but from the storyline and the creepy building at MGM, I much prefer WDW's version. Ours is well-themed for it being a take on Twilight Zone. Maybe they had to really detail Tokyo's version because they aren't familiar with Twilight Zone. Then again, I guess it doesn't matter-an attraction is an attraction. The grass will always be greener on my side of the fence when it comes to Disney!

ROEFan88

I have to agree with Mrdean3 - while I love ToT in WDW, it looks so much less impressive than the one in TDS. Fair enough, they have different storylines, but no real buildings (not even old, 1930s abandoned ones) have painted-on windows. I think what is one of WDW's tallest structures deserves to look far more realistic - we've all seen how mindblowing Disney's best themeing efforts are. Consider HTH's lobby - fantastically done, and looks as perfect today as it did 13 years ago. The exterior facade has probably faded over this time, but I have to say that, in Mrdean3's photos (especially the 2nd one) I think the tower looks TERRIBLE.

Just my opinion. (But to clarify, I LOVE the ride, though).

jmvd20

This is the first time I have seen the tower from DS and wow is that impressive. From a construction/building standpoint the DS tower is easily and substantially more impressive. This is more of a major compliment to DS than a bash on the WDW tower.

frank4369

I'm with the WDW crowd on this. The theme of ToT is a hotel that has been abandoned for many decades. It looks the way it does because it's supposed to look like that, not because of inferior planning or neglect. While the other building does look nice, you can't tell what the theme is just from looking at it. With ToT, you get an immediate sense that it's stuck in some sort of timewarp.

ToTBellHop

The TDS building looks new. The WDW building looks very old, as it should. It should have faded paint and a sinister look to it (and glow at night). I prefer our version (and our longer ride). Seeing our tower at night with the creepy marquee with letters flickering on and off is far creepier. There are many places at WDW where major corners were cut, but I don't think the Tower of Terror is one of these areas. I challenge you to keep the door to one of the rooms in your house closed at all times for the next 68 years and never open the window and see if you can still see out that window in 2075 ;)

JML42691

I think what the main point is here is that there was not a whole lot of attention put into some of the windows. I think if they were to spend some time in the near future and made the windows seem somewhat more realitic (but just as scary) then that would be great. The scond photo from the bottom only seems so bare becasue the bare area cannot be seen from inside the park. I believe that if they were to make the windows actually have glass(but just a black wall behind it) then it would make this ride's facade much better. The painted on windows are starting to lose their touch.

Chape19714

Hightower is portrayed by Rhode.

As for the differances, I enjoy them! Now I thought DLP was getting the directer storyline, not Hong Kong. A bit of an interesting note, no Tower is inside a Magic Kindgom. Also, I find it wierd that the MGM version came out so long before all the cloning of it started! It's been quite a while.

The different facade is nice, but the differance in theming reflects the different parks they are in.

Mrdean3

Original Poster
I have to agree with Mrdean3 - while I love ToT in WDW, it looks so much less impressive than the one in TDS. Fair enough, they have different storylines, but no real buildings (not even old, 1930s abandoned ones) have painted-on windows. I think what is one of WDW's tallest structures deserves to look far more realistic - we've all seen how mindblowing Disney's best themeing efforts are. Consider HTH's lobby - fantastically done, and looks as perfect today as it did 13 years ago. The exterior facade has probably faded over this time, but I have to say that, in Mrdean3's photos (especially the 2nd one) I think the tower looks TERRIBLE.

Just my opinion. (But to clarify, I LOVE the ride, though).

Thank you sooo much! My point down to the last period! :sohappy:

drdoom1001

I love how Tokyo's tower looks,but MGM's tower isn't too shabby,I think they both look great.Now California Adventure's Tower of Terror does nothing for me!!

JoeInJpn

I'll answer a couple of questions here:

Joe Rhode did provide the model for Hightower.

The Hightower Hotel looks new because it had been recently restored. Also, it was only abandoned for just over 10 years shortly after it was built. The "time" of the attraction is about 13 years after it newly opened.

Read/listen to the background story on the attraction's interactive website:
http://www.tot1899.com/english/

JoeInJpn
http://www.jtcent.com

NASAMan

This is a lot of to do about a ride building. While Disney does strive to provide a highly ornate themeing to a ride and it's queue, they are not above taking shortcuts in what they deem 'backstage' areas. The fourth image down, witht he crane and ESPN tent, is in a backstage area that was being used for said ESPN event. Often when these attractions are built, whole sides are left blank, but then the park expands to the point the unthemed side is visible. A quick, inexpensive fix must suffice. We witnessed this scenario play out with Expedition:Everest, but with a variation. Every point of the mountain viewed from within the park was themed, but its backstage side was not. This was sadly visible from the parking lot and more important from the main drive into AK. Some theatrical painting provided a fix to suffice for now. ToT would be even more approriate to have the backside left undone, as a movie set so often is. Also factor in the design factor of the Studios being themed for a LA/Holywood architecture style, whereas DS has a New York style, both approriate and fitting in to the areas they reside. I love the look of the DS Tot, but it would be out of place at the end of Sunset Blvd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom