Tower of Terror, discussion... CONTAINS ILLUSION SPOILERS!

Mrdean3

Original Poster
I am not aware of this topic being previously addressed, if it has, I apologize.
Though I am sure most of you - like myself - will immediately claim that the Disney-MGM Studios’ Hollywood Tower Hotel, is by far the best in thematic approach, I am most positive that you will not be able to deny the fact, that Tokyo Disney Sea’s Hotel Hightower, is indescribably extraordinary.
Even I find it painful to admit, that Hotel Hightower has made the Hollywood Tower Hotel become, in a sense, second-rate. Though most of you will undoubtedly claim, “… it is the original, and should not be touched.” I disagree, I feel as if there are minor changes that could be taken into effect, that would reverse this rapidly increasing poor quality appearance of the Hollywood Tower Hotel. This being one simple thing… WINDOWS.
In the picture below, please observe the detail taken into each window. You will notice something that I found to be an incredibly wonderful touch of Disney Imagineering, curtains!

tower_destop.jpg

Now, as a compare and contrast, I present these photos…

445913908WqGXbN_fs.jpg

amwtow168.jpg

2756955650087137072jGNAZn_fs.jpg

dscf0454_438.jpg

Though I know it must sound as if I am writing this post as a negative statement, I promise to everyone of you, that is not the case! I am simply curious as to if there is someone out there who feels as strongly about this as I do.
P.S. Feel free to suggest other changes you feel could be taken into effect.

Epcotrob

OK so the building is beautiful but, here we have the "Twilight Zone" story. They have a different story. I really have not heard what background story they have. But the themeing is different for many reasons. Our tower looks like it does because it fits the Story we have just as the one in DCA fits the Story also.

I think I heard the ride is virtuly the same as the version in DCA. The building is shapped the same.

I do think that the Hightower is a beautiful building. I would love to see it in person someday.

Mrdean3

Original Poster
... I completely agree with you. Though I still think that there could be some changes made, such as actual windows, and not painted ones. :)

ToTBellHop

Would you be able to see curtains through a window in a building which has not been touched since 1939? I think Florida's opaque windows are more realistic for the given story.

Peaches Magee

The Tokyo building is gorgeous! What is the storyline for that one though?
I dont see a broken part of the building like the cool blast on the WDW ToT.
I do agree the Toyko one is much more detailed, the windows are cool, but I also think the foggy dirty windows of ToT make it a bit spookier and much more abadoned. The Toyko one looks like a beautiful functioning Hotel.
Plus I love that you walk through the overgrown gardens in the queue and you have the old 30s music playing at ToT. Looks like in Tokyo you just walk right in? Am I right?

k.hunter30

OK so the building is beautiful but, here we have the "Twilight Zone" story. They have a different story. I really have not heard what background story they have. But the themeing is different for many reasons. Our tower looks like it does because it fits the Story we have just as the one in DCA fits the Story also.

I think I heard the ride is virtuly the same as the version in DCA. The building is shapped the same.

I do think that the Hightower is a beautiful building. I would love to see it in person someday.
What makes the ToT in DCA story different from WDW? (I guess I've only been on ToT in WDW)

rbrower

I am pretty sure that the storyline for the Hong Kong version is about a movie director's ghost who lives in the hotel. I don't know all the details but (I don't even know if this is the correct storyline or not) when you got to the top, you were supposed to see the ghost holding something (either scissors or something to that effect) close to a wire. Then he would yell "Cut", he would cut the line, and you would start dropping. Again, that is just what I heard it was supposed to be while it was being built. Due to the fact that the Twilight Zone wasn't popular over there, they decided to go with a different story.

animay

The plotline in Tokyo has something to do with an explorer and a cursed voodoo-esque statue he found on one of his trips. There's a video online somewhere that shows the ride and the special effect in the library with the cursed statue is pretty darn cool.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I believe it was Miceage that did a really good article on Tokyo's version of ToT sadly I keep getting 404 errors on all the hits I get on their site when I search it so I am unable to find the article.

Well anyway.....

The theme is definitely different. Apparently Twilight Zone is all but unknown in Tokyo so a new them had to be written. The aforementioned eccentric adventuring billionaire (Harrison Hightower) with a cursed idol is correct. Here is a link to a more in depth description.

The question of weather one is better than the other could be endlessly debated but on the surface it sure does seem like Tokyo's ToT beats out WDW's on the level of detail. Of course if the numbers floating around are correct ($191 million) they spent more on it than WDW spent on E:E so it better have more detail.

Captain Hank

Here's a good page on the Tokyo DisneySea Tower of Terror:http://www.jtcent.com/disneysea/american/amwtot.html

I think both Tower styles fit their respective (and very different) stories quite well. The WDW and DCA Towers have been abandoned for a very long time, while the TDS Tower was recently restored by the "New York City Preservation Society." I can't say which Tower story I prefer, but someday I'd love to experience TDS'.

P.S. Who thinks Harrison Hightower III looks just a bit like Joe Rhode?

Skipper Dan

I completely agree with “mrdean,” though like everyone else, I believe both are unique in their on sense.

… and what I think “mrdean” is saying - correct me if I’m wrong - is not changing the structural appearance at all, just SPRUCING up what already exists?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom