Towel animals

rosebud's mom

nibblesandbits said:
Wait, you're telling me that you guys take these towel animals home? Animals made out of hotel towels? Or am I just missing something? How have so many of you "taken" these towels?

I was wondering the same thing myself ! If we are lucky enough to get any animals this trip, I would never have considered taking them home. ( worst I ever took was a bath mat from a Holiday Inn 30 years ago ... :lookaroun ) I guess I will bring those animals proudly home with a clear conscience ! ( just hope this thread doesn't go the route of the refillable mug controversy. :lol: )

I do always take the soaps and shampoos and such. I have a sewing kit from the Royal Plaza. For those who haven't noticed it there is a link on All Ears that collects the soaps and shampoo for charity.

dclfan

I have visited Walt Disney World nearly 11 times and have always staryed on property but never recieved a towel animal but the 2 times i went on the Disney Cruise Line both the Magic i reiceved one every night. They ranged from monkeys with sunglasses, swans, turtles, and bunnies. Thanks to the wonderful state room server aboard the Disney Magic.

WDWScottieBoy

nibblesandbits said:
Wait, you're telling me that you guys take these towel animals home? Animals made out of hotel towels? Or am I just missing something? How have so many of you "taken" these towels?

Take them home, me...never! :lol: :zipit:

PurpleDragon

The Mom said:
I save my soaps, shampoo, etc and donate them to a homeless shelter; the children really love them.
That is a great idea, I never thought of doing that.:sohappy: I'm sure its so exciting for children who have never been to WDW, to get various items with Mickey on them from the WDW resorts. I might have to collect some on my next trip for charity.:D

I have personally never taken home any of the towel animals. All I have of them are fond memories, and maybe a picture or two.

rosebud's mom

On the subject of tipping. I think it is better to leave a dollar or two every day instead of leaving a lump tip at the end of your stay. My reasoning is that the staff may be different throughout your stay. Leaving something each day means that everyone who takes care of your room gets appreciated.

beglluvr

On our May 04 visit to WL, we got several towel animals... we had an alligator, a dog, a mouse... we also got an angel on our second day, which was kind of eerie because the only reason we were able to afford to go was from an inheritance left when my Grandma passed away - she collected angels.

But the best one was a pool/hot tub made out of rolled up towels and a blue recycling bag. They had a towel turtle looking over the edge into the pool, and my DD's stuffed bunny lounging in the pool, holding a bottle of sunscreen... the radio was even playing. It was so cute that I didn't want to move it to go to bed.

We've never taken the big towel animals, but we took the angel and mouse this trip and a bird last trip. The mouse had eyes, a nose and whiskers drawn on it, so it couldn't have been used as a washcloth again anyway. I figure they have our CC number and can charge us for them if they want to. I have read before that when these things are left in the room, they are considered gifts from the housekeeping staff.

jmaxwell007 said:
well, never been the fortunate, but i have seen them on the Travel channel....... lol. they look fun.

maybe next time.
Pardon my french but they're a bi*&ch to make ~_~ I was there every single night creating about 100 little men with mickey ears, and monkeys were the hardest and aligators and >_< AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm so glad I don't make animal towels anymore. I remember once that this family of 12 wanted me and 4 other housekeepers to make a whole family of 12 elephants ~_~ I was like ?!! So for the rest of my shift , mind you, I finished cleaning the rooms at 8 and got out at 12. My shift was 4:30 - midnight anyhow!! from 8 on, I was there making a family of baby elephants and 5 big elephants. My hands wanted to fall off the next day. The next day, the towels were gone and prob in thier suitcases or being shipped out by box. :rolleyes: Sure, creating magical moments for someone is awesome and heart warming, but other times we're being taken advantage of...come on.

Mom's the word said:
Did I read somewhere that if you leave a tip every day housekeeping may "thank you" with little surprises like the towel animals? Just curious since we're on-property this January.
Leaving a tip was optional but speaking as a housekeeper, we worked very hard to satisfy some of the jerks that were staying there. ~_~ They'd demand a lot fo things that were impossible and stupid things like that. Leaving a tip imo makes us very happy considering all the s^&t we have to pick up. Pun intended >_>;; Considering what most people pay for the resorts, they could at least keep it somewhat clean. Hmmp!! yeah, yeah, it was my job but still. When I go to resorts, I always stay somewhat clean. Not to the point where I'd have to dig through a ton of pillows and sheets. That was time consuming. I had to clean 16 rooms in 8 hours. Possible yes, but just by a mere 30 minutes to breathe.

To answer your question though, tip or no tip, it all depends on the mousekeeper. Some of them don't know how to make towel animals and such. So they'll just leave extra stuff like towels or candy for "magical moments" Or we'll rearange toys on the bed like if they were staring at the tv.

WDWScottieBoy said:
I have three towel animals sitting on my dresser at home. I have an owl, a peacock and a little bunny. I've always been fortunate enough to have wonderful housekeeping. I always make it a point to personally thank them while they are working and talk to them for a little bit. I think the personal contact might help a little as they are really friendly.
I'd housekeep for you anytime you'd stay there. Thank you thank you thank you. Some people were just downright mean. I cried a few times because of thier gross additudes towards me. Well, first of all, I'm mexican and so one time a guest thought "all mexicans are slaves," they started insulting me in english thinking I wouldn't understand a thing. So in plain english and without an accent mind you since I'm mexican/american, I said "Do you all mind not talking so loudly behind my back, I happen to be listning to everything you're saying." They were just shocked that I responded and just applogized to me. They even gave me a 20 dolla tip =) So yeah....sterotypes.....BADDDDDDDD!!!

Originally Posted by jmaxwell007

well, never been the fortunate, but i have seen them on the Travel channel....... lol. they look fun.

maybe next time.
Pardon my french but they're a bi*&ch to make ~_~ I was there every single night creating about 100 little men with mickey ears, and monkeys were the hardest and aligators and >_< AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm so glad I don't make animal towels anymore. I remember once that this family of 12 wanted me and 4 other housekeepers to make a whole family of 12 elephants ~_~ I was like ?!! So for the rest of my shift , mind you, I finished cleaning the rooms at 8 and got out at 12. My shift was 4:30 - midnight anyhow!! from 8 on, I was there making a family of baby elephants and 5 big elephants. My hands wanted to fall off the next day. The next day, the towels were gone and prob in thier suitcases or being shipped out by box. :rolleyes: Sure, creating magical moments for someone is awesome and heart warming, but other times we're being taken advantage of...come on.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Originally Posted by Mom's the word
Did I read somewhere that if you leave a tip every day housekeeping may "thank you" with little surprises like the towel animals? Just curious since we're on-property this January.
Leaving a tip was optional but speaking as a housekeeper, we worked very hard to satisfy some of the jerks that were staying there. ~_~ They'd demand a lot fo things that were impossible and stupid things like that. Leaving a tip imo makes us very happy considering all the s^&t we have to pick up. Pun intended >_>;; Considering what most people pay for the resorts, they could at least keep it somewhat clean. Hmmp!! yeah, yeah, it was my job but still. When I go to resorts, I always stay somewhat clean. Not to the point where I'd have to dig through a ton of pillows and sheets. That was time consuming. I had to clean 16 rooms in 8 hours. Possible yes, but just by a mere 30 minutes to breathe.

To answer your question though, tip or no tip, it all depends on the mousekeeper. Some of them don't know how to make towel animals and such. So they'll just leave extra stuff like towels or candy for "magical moments" Or we'll rearange toys on the bed like if they were staring at the tv.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Originally Posted by WDWScottieBoy
I have three towel animals sitting on my dresser at home. I have an owl, a peacock and a little bunny. I've always been fortunate enough to have wonderful housekeeping. I always make it a point to personally thank them while they are working and talk to them for a little bit. I think the personal contact might help a little as they are really friendly.
I'd housekeep for you anytime you'd stay there. Thank you thank you thank you. Some people were just downright mean. I cried a few times because of thier gross additudes towards me. Well, first of all, I'm mexican and so one time a guest thought "all mexicans are slaves," they started insulting me in english thinking I wouldn't understand a thing. So in plain english and without an accent mind you since I'm mexican/american, I said "Do you all mind not talking so loudly behind my back, I happen to be listning to everything you're saying." They were just shocked that I responded and just applogized to me. They even gave me a 20 dolla tip =) So yeah....sterotypes.....BADDDDDDDD!!!

Originally posted by LONGFAMILY:
You guys have recieved some great service! I didn't even realize that the housekeepers could make so many varieties of towel animal:)
There has got to be a class for that! I hope we get something really fun on our next trip
No class, but just a bunch of mousekeepers sitting in a break room smoking some cigs and drinking some coffee with a lot of patience and towels on thier laps. =) Creating magical memories isn't easy work.

AND YEAH!! So I won't post several times, I learned how to post several quotes in one whole post. I hope this works. ~_~ If not, please erase my post.

ALSO I CAN'T ERASE MY PREVIOUS POST!! :cry: I'm very very sorry you guys for making such a mess of this thread. I didn't know!! I tried erasing them but they just say you must include a sentence longer or something like that. Someone please help me.

PurpleDragon

Sorry you had to go thru that v_misses_epcot!!

I always make a point to be polite to the mousekeepers and stay out of their way when I see them. I do whatever I can to make their work in my room as quick and as painless as possible for them. I do little things like make up my own bed(sorta), hang up all my towels(recycle), and try and leave a tip out when I can. I know how hard it can be working for people who don't appreciate you.:( SO that is why I try my best to be sure that the mousekeepers know that I appreciate what they do.:D

So v_misses_epcot, thank you, thank you, thank you!!:sohappy: I am assuming you still work there, so please tell your co-workers how much they truely are appreciated as well.:wave:

WDWScottieBoy

v_misses_epcot said:

I'd love to have you as my mousekeeper as well! And THANK YOU, not me!!! You're are wonderful in what you do and don't get enough thanks for it. You're the ones creating the magic behind the scenes, waiting for a family to come back to their room and see what magic you've created. I like to tip the mousekeeping staff, and if they are willing to take a minute of their time to have a nice conversation with me, I make sure they get a nicer tip too! :animwink: What you do is magical and I can't thank you enough for it.

(By the way, I'll be at POR Dec 1-4) :animwink:

PhotoDave219

kanepresten said:
how about towel... babies... heh heh! u all know what im talking about...
KP
Rumor has it she got tresspassed on her last trip. I dunno the details but i heard from some folks that she lost it on this last trip and is no longer welcome back at the world...

PurpleDragon

PhotoDave219 said:
Rumor has it she got tresspassed on her last trip. I dunno the details but i heard from some folks that she lost it on this last trip and is no longer welcome back at the world...
Sorry, for being uninformed. But who are we talking about here?

ciscobee

Honestly - I have had the COOLEST towel creations in my room. It was Zurg. She did a really great job. I'll try to get a picture and link it in. You would have to see it.

For our anniversary we have had the mickey head on the bed with a picture of Mickey and Minnie and a Limo ... and it was autographed.

My In-Laws had a elephant in the sink. It was neat!

I left a 10$ tip on the last day. I'm not sure if that was enough or not.

Boo's Mom

nibblesandbits said:

::raises hand in shame :eek: :: :lookaroun (the duck goes very well with the rubber ducky themed bathroom)

Boo's Mom

does anybody have a picture of a towel elephant? I've never gotten one of those. Elephants are one of my favorite animals (along with obviously birds, dogs, and tigers)

PhotoDave219

PurpleDragon said:
Sorry, for being uninformed. But who are we talking about here?
Errr.... A lady who used to come to MK with a baby made up of towels, dressed in baby clothes. I cant explain further because its just... well, insane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom