Tour Group season is upon us

Much-Pixie-Dust

Just got back from the World last night and saw many tour groups and most had the super greeters. The groups seemed smaller than in the past, like groups of 50-60 as opposed to groups of 250+. None were chanting that we saw, but a song started playing in AK that they knew and they chimed right in with complete exuberance. We were ordering food along with one of the groups at a QS and the super greeter was very helpful for the tour group, the workers, and other vacationers.

Much-Pixie-Dust

I never saw two different tour groups in the same area at the same time. Maybe they are trying to keep them separated to avoid chanting competitions between groups. There is a building near TT, that I have never seen open before, and it's a big viewing area to watch the World Cup and buy soccer merchandise.

The Empress Lilly

I went to Disney's Animal Kimgdom one year during the height of the tour group season. Somehow my friend and I got loaded onto Kilamanjaro Safaris with the rest of the group. The tour guide was so annoyed that they kept screaming and chanting that he forwent the traditional script and started just pointing and saying jibberish at nothing just to placate the guests. Toward the end of the ride he noticed me and my friend, apologized, and offered us to ride again to get the real experience.

I know that Walt Disney World is a place to let loose and have fun, but when it comes to the inconvenience of others trying to do that same thing it becomes a problem. I have been on Kilamanjaro Safaris several times and knew that this wasn't the norm, but I had to explain to my friend what was going on. If I had been a first time visitor with my family, I would have been put off by the whole thing.
But why should that be? Why should WDW be a place to let loose? Why shouldn't WDW be a place where you behave yourself in public? Instead of a playground for pigs, drunks and chanting hooligans.

Cinemas clamp down on chanting teenagers. Bars and other public places refuse to serve chanting hooligans dressed in identical kits. It is not that difficult. A simple chanting ban would return WDW to its many normal, respectful guests.

MotherOfBirds

A group of teenagers from anywhere that are newly out from underneath the thumb of their parents are going to act like jacka*****. I don't care for the chanting/singing either and I would like to see parks issue reminders to TG leaders that it is discouraged. But for us mere mortals who can only watch as these kids run amok, I've learned that the old "say excuse me and plow through" method works well ("Perdon" or "Con permiso" for Spanish and "Me disculpa" for Portugeuse).

216bruce

eth·no·cen·trism
ˌeTHnōˈsentrizəm/
adjective
noun: ethnocentrism
  1. evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one's own culture.
Just sayin is all...

I leave for the UK and France, including DL Paris this week and I'll bet that I'll see lots of "ugly American" behavior at DL Paris, if not elsewhere. Of course, it's no one from these boards...:rolleyes:

Also, for the record, the worst behavior by far I've ever seen in a Disney park are roving bands of drunks (Americans, I'm sure) during Food and Wine Fest. Horrible.

jakeman

It's a cultural thing. I went to Chile last year for a conference with a bunch of doctors and nurses from all over Latin America and they chanted and sang on the bus all the way to teh restaurant and all the way back.

It has nothing to do with age, income, parents. It's just how they are. It's annoying to us, but it's just a normal Tuesday for them.

Macca250

Anyone know how FP+ works for the groups? I'm well accustomed to seeing the group leaders feeding hundreds of tickets at a time into the FP distribution machines, then they all end up riding an attraction together at the same time and cause a huge backlog. I wonder since MM+ if this has changed? Do the individuals have access to the MDE app to make their own reservations? Do the Super Greeters control reservations? Or do the leaders still have control and have all their group's tickets linked to a MDE account? Its giving me a headache just thinking about it...:bored:

Cmdr_Crimson

So it's Tour Group season, that means we can hunt them right?
Oooh Boy! Bwazillian Twacks!
1337809152.jpg

Much-Pixie-Dust

Anyone know how FP+ works for the groups? I'm well accustomed to seeing the group leaders feeding hundreds of tickets at a time into the FP distribution machines, then they all end up riding an attraction together at the same time and cause a huge backlog. I wonder since MM+ if this has changed? Do the individuals have access to the MDE app to make their own reservations? Do the Super Greeters control reservations? Or do the leaders still have control and have all their group's tickets linked to a MDE account? Its giving me a headache just thinking about it...:bored:
We rode rides predominantly through FP+ and never saw them in any of those lines. We did see some waiting in the regular lines, but they did not appear to be chanting or acting inappropriately. From my perspective, FP+ has greatly helped with the groups sending one person to get 200 fastpasses at a time. I never saw any of the groups or their flag holders or greeters in the lines at the FP+ kiosks either. The groups seemed to arrive around 10ish and leave by about 4-5. I think I saw one group in the early evening but that was it.

At AK they arrived in their own buses. I did not observe how they arrived at any other park.

At all the parks, each group seemed to go in different directions, which I believe helped too. I saw no dancing this time. In December of 2012, we saw huge groups (250+) and they would chant, but they also did a dance in which they would randomly stop and start backing up. That was no good. It was a safety issue with lots of people getting bumped into fairly hard and then tempers flared.

The super greeters were doing a good job at facilitating these groups.

Jennifer66

I've traveled quite a bit, and have seen tour groups of all ages and nationalities, and by far (and I do mean FAR), the worst behaved was a group of American adults in the catacombs in Italy. I was so embarrassed that I was Canadian that day if anyone asked:)

plutofan15

Walking through Animal Kingdom last year we came upon a Brazilian tour group near Flame Tree blocking half the walkway while performing one of their annoying and loud chants. A cast member walked up and told that they had to stop because they were scaring the animals. Wish I would have gotten his name to thank him - although this is more than likely not "official" policy, there were many happy guests because of this. Would love to see the "shut-the-hell-up" policy become official.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Speaking as a life long badly behaved person, you lot are a bunch of overwound issue laden sad acts with small c conservative attitudes and a hatred for those what enjoys a good time. Nowt wrong with a bit of community singing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom