'Tough to Be a Bug' and Tree of Life trails closed due to urgent Tree of Life work

katarn112

Glad no one was injured, hopefully it will be a minor issue and the attractions will open soon!

No kidding! Attractions just keep on getting knocked out one at a time. First big thunder mountain railroad, then test track, and now this... I really hope they reopen it before we go in May. :shrug:

pax_65

In all seriousness... I'd like to hear from cast members on their opinion regarding the state of maintenance in the parks.

From my perspective as a regular guest, it seems like things have slipped a little over the past few years. Granted, things were previously at a very high level. So except for high-profile things like the Yeti and the Splash Mountain Riverboat, most guests might not even notice some of the issues (Heck, most guests don't even know the Yeti is broken!). In general, at first glance at least, things still look pretty good.

And maybe that's exactly it. Maybe a decision was made somewhere along the line that said, "If it doesn't impact guest satisfaction, it doesn't get fixed." So a lot of little things were let go that most people wouldn't notice unless maybe, like me, you go every year and pay a lot of attention to the little things. That's a lot different than WDW was in the 1990s when anything that was broken or shabby was considered "bad show" and fixed ASAP.

I have no idea if the Tree of Life breakage was just a fluke thing from wind damage or a sign of poor maintenance. But it makes sense that if little things aren't taken care of on a regular basis, eventually things are going to break in such a way that you'll notice the wear. Then you're going to have to close the attraction for a refurb to fix all the things that are wrong. I think I remember them doing this with Splash Mountain a few years ago - closing the attraction allowed them to clean up chewing gum, fix AAs, do some painting - a long list of minor stuff that had been ignored a long time.

Rob562

Perhaps the evil corporation from Avatar decided to move into the park early and they started the demolition to get to the unobtanium under the Tree...

-Rob

Rescue Ranger

In regards to Bugs Life.....after viewing it last week, I honestly thought the transfer was awful and DEFINITELY needs a new HD transfer. Soooo blurry. I would love to see that get a refurb. They wouldnt even need to close the attraction as it can all be done behind the scenes until the new transfer is available to project.

And while not near as bad, Philharmagic could use a better transfer too.

Pioneer Hall

Maintenance budgets strike again.

Just out of curiosity...does anything ever break in your house or possibly go wrong with your car? Sometimes, even if something is maintained as it is supposed to problems can happen. Sometimes in life things just go wrong, no matter you try to prevent it or not.

RSoxNo1

Perhaps the evil corporation from Avatar decided to move into the park early and they started the demolition to get to the unobtanium under the Tree...

-Rob

They're turning it into the Tree of Souls, and every night they'll blow it up.

devoy1701

Just out of curiosity...does anything ever break in your house or possibly go wrong with your car? Sometimes, even if something is maintained as it is supposed to problems can happen. Sometimes in life things just go wrong, no matter you try to prevent it or not.

*but especially if you do not try to prevent it. :p

Magenta Panther

In regards to Bugs Life.....after viewing it last week, I honestly thought the transfer was awful and DEFINITELY needs a new HD transfer. Soooo blurry. I would love to see that get a refurb. They wouldnt even need to close the attraction as it can all be done behind the scenes until the new transfer is available to project.

And while not near as bad, Philharmagic could use a better transfer too.

I'll say. It made me very sad to watch that wonderful show last December (Philharmagic is one of my very faves) and see how messed up it is...ESPECIALLY after seeing the crystal-clear 3D imagery of the new Star Tours. Dammit, Disney, show some pride in your legacy and fix a show that holds so much of the true Disney magic! :brick:

Pioneer Hall

*but especially if you do not try to prevent it. :p

Sure...but we like to blame everything on slashed budgets. Unless a structural engineer wants to chime in here, do we know how often a solid concrete and metal structure like that needs a massive overhaul. How often do you walk down the street and see large buildings under wraps, or old homes being completely redone. It isn't happening every 15 years...it usually happens after decades. I'm no apologist but I think that we like to nitpick here on everything because we don't hear stories about the carousel horses being repainted every night. Sometimes, things just happen and it doesn't have to be the end of the world.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Several scenarios could have occurred. A small fracture in the concrete could have occurred whilst allowing rain underneath with freezing temperatures. Over it time it can separate the concrete from the steel spine allowing it to eventually fall off. With some wind assistance, of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom