Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, Spartan Race, etc...

Mickey&Minnie

It was very muddy and cold. We had a windy 50 degree day sandwiched between two 70 degree days. It made the water extra refreshing. LOL! I was a nervous as all get out going into the race, not knowing what to expect, but the 12 obstacles were fun and challenging. Not too hard tho. The hardest part for me was the extra 5 pounds that the mud seems to add to your shoes.

popsicletrees

I'm glad this was bumped. I've been meaning to post pictures from the Tough Mudder that my husband did in February. It was a nice 45 degrees that day. I was able to walk around and take pictures at most of the obstacles. He loved it, and I am actually considering doing it with him next year. I know it was challenging, but it looked like a whole lot of fun.

This is my husband about to leap.

014-1.jpg

This was a dumpster full of ice water. Yes, ice water. The mudders had to jump in and swim under a board with barbed wire on the top.

017.jpg

Jordan said that being in the dumpster felt like he was hit in the chest.

024.jpg

039.jpg

041.jpg

056.jpg

091.jpg

099.jpg

This was a slip'n'slide with live electric currents hanging down.

126.jpg

The proceeds for the Tough Mudder go to the Wounded Warrior Project. A lot of former military ran the event, which was really cool. Jordan and the team he ran with talked about a guy, former military, who ran the race with one arm and a prosthetic leg. They said that he never complained and that he actually inspired them to keep going. I saw a lot of people bite it (this picture is one of them) on this obstacle, but I actually saw the guy make it up and over this wall. It was really cool.

140.jpg

Mickey&Minnie

Love the pics! It is cool that you were able to walk around and take pics of the obstacles and kudos to your husband for completing such madness.

sweetpee_1993

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just did a warrior dash this past weekend in Jackson MS. It was so much fun and plan on signing up again for one that is in Baton Rouge.

I'll have to look up the Baton Rouge Warrior Dash.

There's a pretty neat looking event in Galveston at Moody Gardens in November for ladies only that's similar to these. It's called Gritty Girls or something like that. I may sign up. Kinda steep at $70 to enter but definitely looks like fun. My question is what would you wear on your feet??? If you're wading thru water, etc. would an old pair of sneakers be a good choice? Seems like they'd get mighty heavy.

dreamfinder

I'll have to look up the Baton Rouge Warrior Dash.

There's a pretty neat looking event in Galveston at Moody Gardens in November for ladies only that's similar to these. It's called Gritty Girls or something like that. I may sign up. Kinda steep at $70 to enter but definitely looks like fun. My question is what would you wear on your feet??? If you're wading thru water, etc. would an old pair of sneakers be a good choice? Seems like they'd get mighty heavy.

Old running shoes. Definitely. Some of the events will just collect them afterwards to be cleaned and donated/recycled. Most modern running shoes can just be hosed off and once they dry they will be fine, but they never seem to fit quite the same. Unless they are meant for trail/muck running, then you would be golden.

The entry fees to tend to be steep, but they usually carry a bit more insurance, and have more infrastructure to deal with than your normal 5k.

frank2271

I did the Tough Mudder in FL, it was a BLAST! Got the tattoo to prove it. Aslo did the Warrior Dash 5k mud run, was also a BLAST.

Too bad Disney hasn't jumped on the band wagon, they should do a mud/obstacle type run with a villian theme. :fork:

I know they have the Everest Challenge, did that one too. (in the pouring rain, awesome) but something more in line with Tough Mudder would be great at Disney.

What do you guys think?

Frank

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I did the Tough Mudder in FL, it was a BLAST! Got the tattoo to prove it. Aslo did the Warrior Dash 5k mud run, was also a BLAST.

Too bad Disney hasn't jumped on the band wagon, they should do a mud/obstacle type run with a villian theme. :fork:

I know they have the Everest Challenge, did that one too. (in the pouring rain, awesome) but something more in line with Tough Mudder would be great at Disney.

What do you guys think?

Frank
I wish they would get into the world of Tri's too. Even on the sprint level.

popsicletrees

Love the pics! It is cool that you were able to walk around and take pics of the obstacles and kudos to your husband for completing such madness.

Thanks! Yeah, it was nice that they had the course set up where spectators could walk around and see all of the large obstacles. I would estimate that I probably walked about 5 miles that day but managed to keep up with them.

Wow, these Tough Mudder events look intense. What’s going on in the picture with the fire?

Admittedly the picture is deceiving. They had hay bales on fire in two rows with about a 20 foot gap in between them. The mudders had to jump across a small moat dug in the ground with a controlled fire in it. My husband said that he had his arms up to get some warmth.

Excellent pics. Thanks for posting.

Thanks!

dreamfinder

Ahhhh, that is cool, but I bet the bling wasnt "Disney Bling" quality. :lol:

Looks like the Rohto Ironman 70.3 was held there last year, along with the Danskin Triathalon. Both look like have moved onto other venues for this years event. I remember some of the CMs at Fort Wilderness saying that they didn't mind the traffic issues for the January Marathon Weekend as that was only the mornings for 2 days. When the 70.3 was setup, they started road closures like a week beforehand. Maybe Disney decided it wasn't worth it since they have so many of their own endurance events now?

SleepingMonk

Original Poster
Our Warrior Dash this year was a little light on the mud, but heavy on the climbing obstacles.

Rope wall, climbing wall, slanted wall, etc...

bethram

I wanted to compete in the one in north Georgia, but the price tag was a little steep and Id have to drive 6 hours one way. If they came a little closer to Bham, Id do it in a heartbeat.

I got an email from Warrior Dash in the last couple weeks that they are holding and event just north of Birmingham in Warrior, AL. I think the price went up from the first level yesterday. I believe the event is in September but I could be wrong.

My husband and I are doing the North Georgia Warrior Dash for the second time next weekend. I can't wait, it was so much fun last year!

eranwolf

Did the Tough Mudder Mid-Atlantic last year in NJ and doing it again this year in MD. Also doing both days of the Spartan Sprint in the Poconos, PA this year. All of those are tough and depending on the time of year are more intense when trying to deal with cold management.

However, hands down the most fun obstacle race I have done has been the Run For Your Lives Zombie 5k. Take a Spartan Sprint, throw on a flag football belt with 3 flags and zombies chasing you. Make it to the line with a flag left and you medal!! It was so much fun I signed up for two more events the day after the race was over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom