Totally off topic-moving to Orlando

disneytati

Anyway, seeing a druged lunatic playing with a laser target rifle on you baby's forehead is definetely worse than anything... :fork: That happened to me about two months ago. At 7 pm in front of my aunt's house, which is pretty close to my house. I have never seen such things happen in Orlando. I went there last month and felt totally safe. I walked around with my watch and my bag with no fear. And the policemen seemed really reliable. I am saying this because nobody trusts policemen here, sometimes they are worse than the drug dealers. And they also sell special police weapons to the criminals. And the honest ones are not well prepared to be a police officer, they usually get clumsy when using guns and end up screwing things up. That's why I love Orlando. The buses are pretty safe, you can enter them wearing you watch that nobody is coming to rob you. I only wear my watch indoors here. I take it out whenever I go out on the street and into the bus. You can't take too much money in you wallet either, but you have to take a little, in case someone comes to rob you, so that you have something to give to the thief and he doesn't get mad (they may beat you up, or even kill you...). Anyway, I just can't believe Orlando has a high crime rate. It seems totally safe to me.

winterparkbaby

the crime rate thing seems off to me. not saying you did not read it, just that i grew up in the winter park and heathrow area. we never had an issue. no one i know ever had any issues. sometimes these studies have very strange issues that they make their decision from. i would not rely on that.

someone mentioned the windemere area, very beautiful area.

in winter park there is the via's and anything near park ave, so you can walk to the shops.
there are many areas where rent will be 2k a month. my brother still lives in the heathrow area, which is 35 minutes east of the park and pays over 2k a month for a small apartment.

there is affordable housing in the orlando area but there are many expensive neighborhoods as well.

Number_6

winterparkbaby said:
the crime rate thing seems off to me. not saying you did not read it, just that i grew up in the winter park and heathrow area. we never had an issue. no one i know ever had any issues. sometimes these studies have very strange issues that they make their decision from. i would not rely on that.

Bear in mind that when they do a crime index, it is based on several different types of crime, not just violent crime. The report that has been coming out the last few years(on which my hometown of Newton, MA repeatedly scores in the top three for safest cities in the US) is based on a formula that includes six categories. Those categories are: Murder, Rape, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary and Motor Vehicle Theft. The information about it can be found here:
http://www.morganquitno.com/methodology.htm

disneytati

Number_6 said:
Bear in mind that when they do a crime index, it is based on several different types of crime, not just violent crime. The report that has been coming out the last few years(on which my hometown of Newton, MA repeatedly scores in the top three for safest cities in the US) is based on a formula that includes six categories. Those categories are: Murder, Rape, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary and Motor Vehicle Theft.
Well, they all sound violent to me... Anyway, I believe they have such things in Orlando, but not at a high rate. I have never seen anything like that while I was there, but of course, I am a tourist and I haven't experienced much of the "real life" in Orlando. But my point of view is a bit distorted, because I live in a violent huge city with an absurd crime rate, which includes criminals and police officers as well... :fork: So Orlando seems like paradise to me.

winterparkbaby

hey disneytati,

I grew up in orlando area, now I live in the tampa area now. I really liked growing up in the suburbs of orlando. I moved away from the area in 93 to go to college. I still spend a good bit of time there to visit my family that still lives there.

sorry it took me so long to respond, hurricanes, kid, etc.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom