Totally off topic-moving to Orlando

safetybar

Banned
Original Poster
I know this is crazy off-topic but I didnt know where to put it. I will be moving to Orlando from LA next month and had some quesions in terms of Orlando and its suburbs.

1. Safety: I was SHOCKED to see that Orlando has a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher crime index than Los Angeles. I verified this with several sources and still can't believe it. Are there any areas that we should completely avoid? We're looking at Winter Park right now, but even some apartment complexes (some of the nicest ones) report assaults, break-ins, and many car thefts.

2. What areas are the have the easiest and quickest access to WDW?

3. Does anyone live in/know of any really nice apartments around the Orlando area (I would like to avoid downtown, obviously)? Price isn't an issue. Not after paying 2K a month for a small one bedroom here.

4. Should I be worried when my girlfriend goes to the gas station that she will be clobbered over the head and thrown in her trunk? I can't believe these things happen down there!!

I'm still baffled that I am worrying about crime in Florida. As I'm typing this now I'm within walking distance of Hollywood BLVD; one of the shadiest, most crime ridden tourist destinations in the country, yet I feel perfectly safe walking around there at any time.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If price isn't an issue, you want to be close to WDW and away from downtown, and you want a safe neighborhood...

move to Windermere or Celebration.

And Orlando is like anywhere else as far as crime goes... stay away from the bad areas and you're fine. I feel perfectly safe walking out at night with my watch on. It's just common sense

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
huh...the crime index surprised me.

Thanks (but really?) for posting. Huh.

We are planning on moving to Celebration by next month's end. Roughly $1 per square foot there.

Please note that you are 20 miles away from Orlando.

I lived in Phoenix (Scottsdale) for a long time...and let me tell you 20 miles got you into some pretty crime-infested areas.

Take a gander at 'top places to live'...Celebration ranks high...top 100 in the country on one site.

Yikes...Florida's crime rate is scary. 2nd highest in the country...Yay!

BUT...I just checked Arizona was number 1. I can say that there are ka-razy people out there, having lived there for about 7 years...and some parts are verrrrrrrrrrrry safe. And its obvious.

Now I don't feel too bad. Funny how here in California (crime rate below national average) I had the impression that it was a loooooooooot (lot) worse than Arizona.

Hmmm.

mkt

Premium Member
alright.. Florida does get #2 in crime... but you have to remember, that Miami and Tampa are in FL as well... them, with Orlando, equal 3 major cities, with populations of well over 1 million EACH...

yeah, there's bound to be bad parts... but honestly, Orlando isn't a bad place to live.

ajerdee

I moved to Florida about 3 years ago from Iowa. Although I moved to the Gulf Coast (the town of Venice), I was a little shocked by the cultural differences :hammer:. From my own observation, a lot of the problem seems to lie on the aged population (who often gets taken advantage of), naive tourists who set themselves up for trouble (flashing money, leaving valuables in site in their cars) and the, uh, not very nice transient population.

I have moved back to Iowa, but not because I didn't like it. I loved Venice, it was beautiful. If you had the choice, I would definitely recommend moving to the Gulf Coast between Tampa and Ft. Myers. The people seem to be generally nicer than on the Atlantic Coast, the water is nicer (fewer hurricanes), the beaches are wonderful and it is a very affordable place to live. I'm actually missing it more just talking about it.:cry:

Anyway, the further into the state, farther from the coastlines, the more depressing it seems (I really hope I don't offend anyone by saying this). I once took a drive down the middle of the state from Arcadia to Winter Haven to Stuart and back. The swampland/orange grove area there is probably the most depressing place I have ever been. It contrasts so much with the multi-million dollar homes I drove past in Sarasota.

Good luck with your move to Florida. I would not let the crime rate thing get you down. Just be smart and you will be OK!

phlydude

Down in the Hunter's Creek area (off of the John Young Pkwy where the Greenway (417) intersects) I saw some pretty nice apartments when visiting relatives. It isn't too far from WDW (about 10 minutes).

To give you an idea of where it is on a map -
Look for the Osceola Pkwy that runs to Kissimmee and look just north of that where the Pkwy intersects John Young.

Nice area, a lot of families and some decent, gated apartment communities in with the houses. :animwink:

corran horn

Originally posted by phlydude
Down in the Hunter's Creek area (off of the John Young Pkwy where the Greenway (417) intersects) I saw some pretty nice apartments when visiting relatives. It isn't too far from WDW (about 10 minutes).

To give you an idea of where it is on a map -
Look for the Osceola Pkwy that runs to Kissimmee and look just north of that where the Pkwy intersects John Young.

Nice area, a lot of families and some decent, gated apartment communities in with the houses. :animwink:

I live right off the Greenway and Landstar, right near this area. I'd call what we live in a townhome, basically 4 residences linked together. On either end the homes are single-level, the two in the middle are two-level. I enjoy our location since it's right between the airport and Disney and there doesn't seem to be much crime.

Well...a few years ago we did have our gas grill carted off our back porch. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much. :D

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by corran horn
I live right off the Greenway and Landstar, right near this area. I'd call what we live in a townhome, basically 4 residences linked together. On either end the homes are single-level, the two in the middle are two-level. I enjoy our location since it's right between the airport and Disney and there doesn't seem to be much crime.

hey Neighbor :lol:

I'm on 417 and John Young

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by phlydude
Mmmm, I thought that the gated communities were to make them look smart - now I realise its to keep the bad guys out :(

Number_6

Hooray for moving to Orlando! I'm going down there next week to look at some houses and get an idea of where I want to move to. It should be fun. Taking a day or so to look and then a day or so to relax and do the parks again. I'm planning to move by October.

Originally posted by Number_6
Hooray for moving to Orlando! I'm going down there next week to look at some houses and get an idea of where I want to move to. It should be fun. Taking a day or so to look and then a day or so to relax and do the parks again. I'm planning to move by October.

Good for you! I'm jealous. I hope to make the move in the next couple of years. Good luck house hunting and enjoy the parks.

Number_6

Thanks. I'm going to take one whole day running around with the RE agent looking at homes so I can see what areas I like and which homes I like. The one I was originally talking to this agent about is ginormous(compared to what I have now) and has a nice pool in the backyard. It's only 220k, which considering what I will probably be selling my current house for, will be no problem.

phlydude

Originally posted by Number_6
Thanks. I'm going to take one whole day running around with the RE agent looking at homes so I can see what areas I like and which homes I like. The one I was originally talking to this agent about is ginormous(compared to what I have now) and has a nice pool in the backyard. It's only 220k, which considering what I will probably be selling my current house for, will be no problem.

You will be quite surprised to see how much cheaper the housing is down there compared to Mass. My in-laws live in Weymouth, MA and could easily sell their small Cape Cod for $500k.

Point of advice - don't accept the first offer on your house, let the fools outbid each other!!!

Number_6

Actually, I already know who I'm selling to because this is a two family and the people upstairs have rented from my parents or myself for the last 12 years. I would rather they buy the house since the father is a contractor and would be able to take good care of the place. I wouldn't have to worry about an idiot buying it and I know it will be in good hands. Plus, I won't pay any capital gains tax if I sell it to them for under what it is worth.

KevinPage

I was surprised when my wife told me Orlando had a high crime rate. We moved from Long Island, which was a very nice area. We didn't live near Manhatten, which, just like any big city is going to have more crime than "surburbia".

Honestly, I feel safer in Orlando. The people down here are alot more laid back, more people hold doors open for you or actually thank you for doing the same. I also found that there is more racial harmony in Orlando. There does not seem to be any friction between races, which was refreshing. Everytype of person lives in the same communities.

I think that so many people from all over the country are moving to Florida, they are happier or want to get out of the situation they were in, it has a calming effect.

And the bes thing, most peole will get out of the left lane if you want to pass them. NEVER happens in NY, NEVER :lol:

disneytati

KevinPage said:
I was surprised when my wife told me Orlando had a high crime rate. We moved from Long Island, which was a very nice area. We didn't live near Manhatten, which, just like any big city is going to have more crime than "surburbia".

Honestly, I feel safer in Orlando. The people down here are alot more laid back, more people hold doors open for you or actually thank you for doing the same. I also found that there is more racial harmony in Orlando. There does not seem to be any friction between races, which was refreshing. Everytype of person lives in the same communities.

I think that so many people from all over the country are moving to Florida, they are happier or want to get out of the situation they were in, it has a calming effect.

And the bes thing, most peole will get out of the left lane if you want to pass them. NEVER happens in NY, NEVER :lol:

Well, all I have to say is that it is MUCH MUCH better than Rio de Janeiro!!! Violence here is getting totally out of control... :fork: I hope I can really move to Orlando next year...

KevinPage

disneytati said:
Well, all I have to say is that it is MUCH MUCH better than Rio de Janeiro!!! Violence here is getting totally out of control... :fork: I hope I can really move to Orlando next year...

I don't know what is worse, crime or having to see men in "speedo" swimsuits. Or is that just Europeans? :lol:

disneytati

:lol: We only wear "speedo" bathing suits at swim lessons... Not on the beach. We have the best and most beautiful bikinis and swimsuits in the world... I don't wear them anymore, I am too fat for that. But you American guys would love to see the girls here on the beach wearing brazilian bathing suits! Especially in Rio. Well, I live far away from the beach, only the richest people live by the beach. It's been a while since I last saw the beach. Do Europeans wear "speedo" swimsuits on the beach? :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom