ToT Structure Question

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Does anyone know as to why the Tower of Terror's of DL,DLP & TDS top part extend further out making it look rather odd looking compared to The studio's version where it extends out by only a little?

Examples..
WDW version
http://www.igougo.com/images/p47431-Orlando-DisneyMGM_The_Tower_of_Terror.jpghttp://www.kibitznbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/towofterror.jpg

DL Version
http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compres..._Backlot/tower_of_terror_sign1-avp-031001.jpg

TDS Version I do like since it's themed much better..
http://www.serviceelevator.com/images/tokyo.jpg

DisneyDellsDude

I love Tokyo's version also!
I don't know why they extend out. I guess just a design element they decided to add on all the copy's.
I like how they look.

hpyhnt 1000

Yeah, I've wondered about that, too. It does give for an odd appearence. Its like they're counterweights, and without them, the building would fall over.

While TDS is nice, I still like the overall appearence of the WDW version best. With the pinkish purple color-it just has the most abandoned, mysterious look to me. I guess it also helps that its the oldest of the towers.

totben

DHS has the wings as well but they also only have 2 motors up there...The motors are a tad bit wider than the buildings and are anchored through the framing of the building all the way to the ground.
DCA and DLP and TDS all have 3 motors up top. they easily could have designed the building to accommodate the wider girth but this way it adds a little "architectural interest"

mostly, aesthetics.

But man, those DC2000 motors are really big when you stand next to them.

Bluewaves

I know the one at DL has the part sticking out as the transfer for the elevators between the shafts, hence it doesn't have nearly the capacity as WDW's does.

primetime52

Personally I think the Tokyo version looks amazing. It wouldn't really work for the U.S. parks though, since it doesn't fit with the whole Hollywood theme.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ Yep, the top level of the other 3 Towers houses 3 motors, very wide units that sit side by side.

Disneyfan2000, Eisner wanted a cheaper version for Paris. DCA needed help and was given funding to `borrow` the design and it was built first. I recall one of the main issues with the Orlando version (apart from 6 shafts versus 3) is in the 5th D level. The Tracking system for the AGV is a wire in the floor, a park map or similar falling under a vehicle screws the signal and forces an E Stop due to the extreme safety measures in the attraction. Instead of solving it with infra red or similar (hello Honey Hunt) Eisner wanted it eliminated.

Joepic

don't forget about the DL Paris ToT:

ToTCont-103103-AVP.jpg

totben

I know the one at DL has the part sticking out as the transfer for the elevators between the shafts, hence it doesn't have nearly the capacity as WDW's does.

Actually the 3 newer towers DCA, DLP, TDS have a higher capacity due to a shorter ride cycle, alternating- vertical loading (double decker boiler room) and 3 drop systems.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The DCA and Paris versions....while we're on the subject...just look fake to me, and i've seen the DCA one in person. the exterior just doesn't seem to look that real and the color choices seem wrong.

Am I the only one?

hpyhnt 1000

The DCA and Paris versions....while we're on the subject...just look fake to me, and i've seen the DCA one in person. the exterior just doesn't seem to look that real and the color choices seem wrong.

Am I the only one?

I'm with you on that. :wave:

I wouldn't call it fake; I just think they look too simple. TDS, while nice, is just too elaborate for my taste; its just too much IMHO. I think the problem with the DCA and DLP versions is that they're a tad too simple in decoration, probably due to budget cuts. The DHS version strikes a nice balance of simplicity and decoration. Note the spires, balconies, and tile roofs on the DHS version. Those kind of elements are noticably lacking on the DCA and DLP versions. With so little detail, they have the appearence of being big, yellow facades instead of giving the impression of a defunct hotel.

Also, I still think it doesn't hurt that the DHS version has been around for over 15 years now. Its been exposed to the elements and been weathered, which do help the idea of an abandoned hotel.

Jason: You're right, as well. Those jutting points don't seem right. They're just not something you see on a normal building.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm with you on that. :wave:

I wouldn't call it fake; I just think they look too simple. TDS, while nice, is just too elaborate for my taste; its just too much IMHO. I think the problem with the DCA and DLP versions is that they're a tad too simple in decoration, probably due to budget cuts. The DHS version strikes a nice balance of simplicity and decoration. Note the spires, balconies, and tile roofs on the DHS version. Those kind of elements are noticably lacking on the DCA and DLP versions. With so little detail, they have the appearence of being big, yellow facades instead of giving the impression of a defunct hotel.

I agree but not just about the artistic simplicity but the actual damaged area doesn't look real to me, as much as the DHS version...just looks all painted without much depth (on the outer areas)

primetime52

Am I the only one?

I agree. To me they look more modern, which I suppose makes sense, since they were built a decade after DHS' version. However, looking more modern doesn't really fit the theme of this particular attraction, for obvious reasons.

TigerLily_CM

The building designs are also all based on different styles. The WDW version is art deco, DL and Paris are Pueblo Deco and Tokyo which is New York Gothic.

The colouring of the DL and Paris ones are more in line with Pueblo Deco architecture...not saying I like it...just saying where it came from :shrug:

I haven't seen the Tokyo one but would love to experience it. Seems like the most unique of them all since it has a completely independant story line and is not affiliated with The Twilight Zone

Elonwy

I haven't seen the Tokyo one but would love to experience it. Seems like the most unique of them all since it has a completely independant story line and is not affiliated with The Twilight Zone

I didn't know this but looked it up and the fictional story seems kind of neat. I just assumed it was also a Twilight Zone thing but apparantly it would cost too much to get the rights for the Tokyo ride so they revamped it.

totben

I didn't know this but looked it up and the fictional story seems kind of neat. I just assumed it was also a Twilight Zone thing but apparantly it would cost too much to get the rights for the Tokyo ride so they revamped it.

it was not a cost thing. Japan has never had "The Twilight Zone" therefore people would have no idea what it is. instead they just made up their own story based in New York. If you have ever seen tat tower you'll know that cost was not an issue. The amount of story in the building is beyond amazing.

Google some pictures, its impressive.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Actually they never showed the Twilight Zone in Japan so it wouldn't have been familiar to them, therefore Disney decided to create a different type of story

Edit: totben beat me by ...that much....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom