TOT finding; a sign of things to come?

mmartin2x

Original Poster
It's not really who the people in the drop shaft are (we know already; and to the person who said they'd take pictures there are pictures on the tower of terror site posted by Kevin), but rather why they are there instead of, say, in the 5th dimension room with all the other figures. Were there so many figures that the imagineers put a couple of spares in the drop shafts just as a thing to notice?

TinkerBell9988

Originally posted by mmartin2x
It's not really who the people in the drop shaft are (we know already; and to the person who said they'd take pictures there are pictures on the tower of terror site posted by Kevin), but rather why they are there instead of, say, in the 5th dimension room with all the other figures. Were there so many figures that the imagineers put a couple of spares in the drop shafts just as a thing to notice?

Somethin' to think about here.... :lookaroun :p

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
I know that you guys don't know what they're for but WHY do you think they are there? Can speculation be here?

Castle Cake Apologist

Just a shot in the dark here... but these could possibly be the figures used for the Pepper's Ghost Effect.... maybe? If not, they may be the molds for these figures, as they seem to have some kind of casing surrounding them... I totaly forget, do the "ghosts" move? I seem to be thinking that they just stood there then faded out... :lookaroun

-Jake

raven

Working on special effects for many theatre companies in my area, I like to figure out Disney effects and see how they work. I know what you are saying about the "Pepper's Ghost" effect but this Pepper's Ghost is done a little differently than the HM effects.

The reflection you see in the mirror when the doors open first open on the first stop is actually a reflection of a hallway. This is a two-way mirror and the long hallway is really on the left. Behind the mirror is a projection screen or large media screen that projects the images of the people, the moving window and lightning.

So, those statues in the 2nd elevator shaft could not be from that effect. What they look like to me, after studying the pictures carefully, look to be "molds" of the people.

Correct me if I am wrong, but on the second stop where your vehicle goes from one shaft to the other, isn't there some glass or plastic figures of those people? If so, this could explain those molds in the second shaft.

However, it's kind of funny that they would store the molds in that shaft unless there is more room in there than what appears.

That's what I came up with at least.

Don L Duck

Great site and Pics.
Now I know what they are.
They are original prototypes for the academy award statues.
before the oscars became oscar.
Walt had a whole bunch of them lying around and couldn't figure out what to do with them.
There are some at the end of the loop to the left of RNR.

raven

Originally posted by woofboy111

On that website, on the first picture, is that an orb on the figure to the left? Don't people say that's how ghosts show up in pictures? Maybe the tower of terror is more haunted than we think...

I saw that too. But, most "orbs" in photos are dust or lint particles close to the camera. They refelct the flash and since they are out of focus, the image results as an orb. Think about all of the air movement in those elevator shafts. Dust could be flying everywhere. But, it's fun to think that it could be haunted. Just makes the story line more evolved. :)

ToTBellHop

it could also be disney's doing...unlikely...but here's a rumor for you...know that hearse in front of the Haunted Mansion that they put in a few years back? Well, Imagineers originally wanted to have an effect where you would see nothing in the hearse with your eyes, but if you took a picture of it and got it developed. you would see a ghost inside. Sadly, they couldn't figure out the effect in time, but perhaps that orb was an experiment--that is, perhaps they have finally worked out all the bugs on this effect and wanted to try it out...it would allow them to do some kewl stuff with the on-ride photos...but it's probably just dust:)

raven

Originally posted by DogsRule!
...perhaps that orb was an experiment--that is, perhaps they have finally worked out all the bugs on this effect and wanted to try it out...it would allow them to do some kewl stuff with the on-ride photos...but it's probably just dust:)

Well, since you are not supposed to take photos on the attraction, I doubt the imagineers went through all that trouble to make such an effect, especially in the darkest part.

I'm sticking to my "dust" theory.

Nova16

I agree with the Dust method.

Ahhh...I'm thinking maybe they're there for a little bit for a new ending or something. Maybe they're planning on getting rid of the little Twilight Zone mini-movie at the end and replacing i with an effect where the ghosts show up again and talk. Sorta like the talking statues in Haunted Mansion. You never know.

Or it could also be there to make people like us wonder and the Imagineers laugh their heads off at us while we try to figure out why they're there when they serve no purpose whatsoever.

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by Becky
:(

Please don't suggest people take flash pictures on rides that are supposed to be in the dark. That ruins everyones experience.

It is bad enough to have the flashes going off in the Little Mermaid show etc without someone suggesting other places to do so.

Or people using video cameras and using the light while inside Spaceship Earth as your "space vehicle is rotating backwards to prepare for re-entry." So, if you hear someone say "PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR LIGHT!!" on a ride that's dark inside, more than likely it's me. :lol:

JLW11Hi

I found this on the Tower of Terror Website from that link earlier in this thread. It came from an interview with one of the bellhops at ToT. He was explaining how some of the technilogical aspects of the ride work, and I am assuming he was referring to something in the hallway where the elevator moves forward, but it could be a refrence to the mysterious figures:

"The figures you see on the sides are simply plastic cutouts of the characters (they are split in the middle and move independently to give the warped look). "

ocolectr

The figures may be part of the new drop sequences that they have finished working on over at TOT.

Last I heard they will not go into effect until after the 100 YOM to give a new draw for the Studios without having to build something new.

...Or I could be wrong. We'll see in 2003!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom