Top 3 Essential Things at Disneyland..... and DCA

MouseMelly

Disneyland:

1. Disneyland Railroad
2. Pirates of the Caribbean
3. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (only because of our family's competition to win. We know it's cheesy)

DCA:

1. Soarin' over California
2. Cars Land (why isn't this Radiator Springs? 🙄)
3. TSMM (same reason as Buzz)

Figments Friend

Getting to go inside Walt's Apt was one of the highlights of my program (topped only by a different tour I got).

I came SO close to visiting Walt's Apartment last year when I visited the Park with a friend.
We stopped by City Hall at the end of a late evening to leave some compliments for some experiences my friend had that day while traversing the property.
I had encouraged him during his multi-day visit to stop in and give feedback to the Guest Relations CMs if he had outstanding experiences with certain characters , Cast, or services.
So we stopped in, and the 'plaid' behind the desk enjoyed talking to us.
He was also likely relieved we weren't there to complain about something like they typically have to deal with.

We talked for quite some time.....about 40 minutes....and at one point he took us outside to stand in front of the Disneyland Firehouse.
There we stood for another 20 minutes or so talking about Disneyland history, and then he confesses he wanted to surprise us with something special since we seemed to be the type of fans who could appreciate it -
Turns out he wanted to try to get us both up into Walt's Apartment, but then realized the person who had the key had left for the night.
It was pretty late...but man, so close!

Of course my friend was pretty blown away by the offer....and I thought it was a nice gesture.
One of these days...

Only at Disneyland.
:)

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

My Top 3 'Essential Disneyland' -

1. - Main Street Vehicles / Horse Trollies / DLRR / live entertainment.

2. - Mark Twain Riverboat

3. - 'Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln' presentation

My Top 3 'Essential DCA' -

1. Grizzly Peak Recreation Area ( entire package, grounds and Attractions )

2. Radiator Springs. ( aka 'Cars Land' )

3. Buena Vista Street central 'hub' area / Red Car / live entertainment

-

SuddenStorm

I came SO close to visiting Walt's Apartment last year when I visited the Park with a friend.
We stopped by City Hall at the end of a late evening to leave some compliments for some experiences my friend had that day while traversing the property.
I had encouraged him during his multi-day visit to stop in and give feedback to the Guest Relations CMs if he had outstanding experiences with certain characters , Cast, or services.
So we stopped in, and the 'plaid' behind the desk enjoyed talking to us.
He was also likely relieved we weren't there to complain about something like they typically have to deal with.

We talked for quite some time.....about 40 minutes....and at one point he took us outside to stand in front of the Disneyland Firehouse.
There we stood for another 20 minutes or so talking about Disneyland history, and then he confesses he wanted to surprise us with something special since we seemed to be the type of fans who could appreciate it -
Turns out he wanted to try to get us both up into Walt's Apartment, but then realized the person who had the key had left for the night.
It was pretty late...but man, so close!

Of course my friend was pretty blown away by the offer....and I thought it was a nice gesture.
One of these days...

Only at Disneyland.
:)

-

What a great story! It's nice to see cast members take a genuine interest in making someone's trip special.

A lot of times these days their definition of 'making magical moments' has simply meant 'providing the most basic level of customer service we can', relying on superficial perks instead of taking the time to really understand the guest and what they can do to make the guest's trip special.

BrianLo

In terms of "Walt's Disneyland", things I could never imagine him removing.

1. Mickey Mouse
2. Main Street
3. The Railroad

What defines all the castle parks is very blurred now; A Castle, Mickey, Fantasyland seem to be the only quintessential commonalities. I can't imagine them building a 7th gate without those elements. But everything else seems fair game. Obviously none are Disneyland though.

I also feel like Mickey Mouse is a good curveball that no one was considering in their list.

mickEblu

Original Poster
In terms of "Walt's Disneyland", things I could never imagine him removing.

1. Mickey Mouse
2. Main Street
3. The Railroad

What defines all the castle parks is very blurred now; A Castle, Mickey, Fantasyland seem to be the only quintessential commonalities. I can't imagine them building a 7th gate without those elements. But everything else seems fair game. Obviously none are Disneyland though.

I also feel like Mickey Mouse is a good curveball that no one was considering in their list.

lol Mickey is a nice curveball. Just the idea of not seeing his image on merch, treats etc everywhere. With that said, personally I wouldn’t put him in my Top 10.

BrianLo

lol Mickey is a nice curveball. Just the idea of not seeing his image on merch, treats etc everywhere. With that said, personally I wouldn’t put him in my Top 10.

Half the entertainment too is somewhat contingent on him. Granted we wouldn’t actually lose an iconic piece of architecture or attraction (yet). It would still be an awesome theme park, but not really Walt’s theme park.

Efteling is amazing and feels the most like a spiritual kinship to Disney Parks. It’s literally just missing the name... and Mickey.

Maybe Mickey is just the ‘soul’ of Disney Parks (TM) rather than simply defining Disneyland in isolation.

Phroobar

Half the entertainment too is somewhat contingent on him. Granted we wouldn’t actually lose an iconic piece of architecture or attraction (yet). It would still be an awesome theme park, but not really Walt’s theme park.

Efteling is amazing and feels the most like a spiritual kinship to Disney Parks. It’s literally just missing the name... and Mickey.

Maybe Mickey is just the ‘soul’ of Disney Parks (TM) rather than simply defining Disneyland in isolation.
Is the 'soul' of DCA Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?

Figments Friend

What a great story! It's nice to see cast members take a genuine interest in making someone's trip special.

A lot of times these days their definition of 'making magical moments' has simply meant 'providing the most basic level of customer service we can', relying on superficial perks instead of taking the time to really understand the guest and what they can do to make the guest's trip special.

I have always received outstanding Cast interactions at Disneyland in California.
It is a rare day indeed i observe less then stellar performance or interactions. Perhaps i have just been 'lucky'...but i have seen or been a part of many 'above and beyond' situations.

The quality of the Guest experience at Disneyland is truly a cut above the quality of the Guest experience i have observed over the last ten years or so at WDW in Florida.
I don't like to 'compare' properties since they are both very different animals, but Disneyland keeps proving to me it has the upper hand.

The friend who was with me last year during the visit i was talking about earlier noticed the difference immediately.
I had told him in advance to expect a more personal interaction and more 'Magical Moments' then he is used to, and he was in the Park for only ten minutes and was already fully converted.
He was blown away.

Another 'convert' .....mission accomplished!

:cool:

-

TROR

Honest answer, the absolute most essential thing at Disneyland is not a ride, land, or show, it's the theme of Americana. The Disneyland Railroad, Main Street USA, Frontierland, Rivers of America, New Orleans Square, the Golden Age Disney classics. Not to say these particular attractions/lands are or aren't essential but the idea behind them is more important. As for rides that are essential, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion more than anything else. Without that core theme and without those two rides, Disneyland would not be Disneyland, and any place that calls itself Disneyland but lacks these is not Disneyland.

mickEblu

Original Poster

i agree with everything except I still think it would still be Walts theme park without Mickey.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Honest answer, the absolute most essential thing at Disneyland is not a ride, land, or show, it's the theme of Americana. The Disneyland Railroad, Main Street USA, Frontierland, Rivers of America, New Orleans Square, the Golden Age Disney classics. Not to say these particular attractions/lands are or aren't essential but the idea behind them is more important. As for rides that are essential, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion more than anything else. Without that core theme and without those two rides, Disneyland would not be Disneyland, and any place that calls itself Disneyland but lacks these is not Disneyland.

i agree with the sentiment but that theme is represented by physical things at the park. If it was truly just about the theme that would mean that Main Street could be replaced Liberty Square and people would be ok with it.

Phroobar

The soul of DCA is Drew Carey.
They really should have made this a fountain at the front of DCA.

hyjhbhk.jpg

Th3 DUd3

1. Getting hit by a stroller
2. Having to stop abruptly because someone had the best idea to stop in the middle of a walkway instead of moving off to the side and then stopping.
3. Family bathrooms to smoke

Phroobar

1. Getting hit by a stroller
2. Having to stop abruptly because someone had the best idea to stop in the middle of a walkway instead of moving off to the side and then stopping.
3. Family bathrooms to smoke

1. Chinese tourists that don't know what "personal space" is.
2. German tourists that smoke in line
3. Twenty-something year old couples making out in line in front of your kids.
4. Line cutting families trying to catch up to their Disneyland "guide".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom