Too Old?

Namine78

Original Poster
I'm new here and this would be the perfect place to get advice on this...

I am currently trying to get myself readied to go to the open calls in Chicago. The problem is, I want to work as a face character. I've made a goal of losing weight and getting contacts as well as trying to get more experience in performing. But the thing is, I'm 27 and even though people think I'm younger, I'm not sure if I would be chosen at all. Here is a photo from WDW Oct. '04...pretty much one of the most current photos since I hate having my picture taken when I'm normal. (In costume is a much different matter...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/AnnaValerious/Orlando04/BestFriends.jpg

The second? I haven't really told my parents about this since they keep discouraging me from a lot of things I want to do. They want me to have a practical job, but I'm afraid I don't have much time for this type of job. Your thoughts?

RonAnnArbor

Two responses - A) You are NOT too old - there is a wide range in age of characters -- true; they tend to be skewed toward younger, but WDW hires all ages. They look for charisma and talent.

B) You are an emancipated adult, right? Unless your parents are paying your rent while in Orlando, I would say do what you feel right to do -- many many actors have relocated to Orlando and are doing very well for themselves. Like any acting job, you audition, you get cast on talent

Namine78

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I have no choice but to live with them while I'm looking for a steady job here in IL. I really want to move out, but I'll have to figure out where I'll be living when I'd get hired there. I'm not sure if I'd be able to stay in a dormitory for a while or I'd have to look for my own place.... I had to go through the moving process last year and I hated it because I had no control over it...I hope if I did this first, I'd have no problems.

CAPTAIN HOOK

1) 27 is NOT too old.
2) You're old enough to do what you want with your life - while your parents may not like it, you're an adult - do what pleases you (as long as its not illegal :lookaroun )
3) Go for it - Good Luck

WDWKat26

Honestly, i'm in entertainment. What face character do you want to go out for? Many of the requirements for face characters are VERY specific.

Let me also add, that the Face Character audition is separate from the Fur Character audition. You have to be a fur character before you can be face. There is no choice, you can't be one or the other.

Do you have any recent pictures?

robynchic

WDWKat26 said:
Honestly, i'm in entertainment. What face character do you want to go out for? Many of the requirements for face characters are VERY specific.
Seconded. I've gone to face auditions multiple times, because people keep thinking I'm "friends" with Wendy. And yet, I keep getting turned away. Good luck at the call, and don't feel hurt if you're not chosen to be a face. Look on the bright side- if they don't pull you, you don't look like a cartoon

WDWKat26

Amen. I've gotten turned away twice, and I still get asked to pick up shifts from friends who are friends with Cinderella and Aurora. Also, it's not as glamourous as it seems either, I know it seems like it because it's in "Entertainment". But, remember you're caking on makeup, you're out for 45 minutes at a time and only get a 15 minute break every hour. Also, starting Face characters only make $8-9/hr.

Namine78

Original Poster
Well, I've wanted to be Aurora. I had asked someone who had worked at WDW what the requirements were, and she said that the shortest was 5'6". I'm about 5'3". Does it matter, though? I'd be open to anything after that.

But I really want to do this because it's more about living out a dream. I was always obsessed with her since I was a child and wanted to be her. But I really will go for it when it's the right time, no matter how many times I'll have to audition. I don't want to give up on it so easily.

Tropicsky1

Entertainment

I second what everyone has said. I did the Disney College Program in Full Service Food and Beverage, and then transferred over to the Entertainment department to work seasonally. When you audition, (at least this is what happened when I auditioned) you audition for fur characters. They pull a few people out *sometimes* if they resemble face characters (I was approved as Wendy, but was never trained since I was only working seasonal for about one month in order to extend my fabulous stay in Orlando :lol: ). But for the most part, you'll be doing fur. And lots of it. I am not sure of the exact height for Princesses, but I do know they are really strict about that.

Best of luck to you! I would definitely recommend auditioning, especially for fur. It is a really rewarding experience (although, can be frustrating at times) but overall it's amazing.

GOod luck and keep us posted!

Mecha Figment

I'm a slightly heavy set guy so i never went for the face characters, and all the faces are princes, the only one is jack and i'm not the physice.

Fur will be your friend. I've worked with several princess and princes in fur. i don't see much fur right now since i'm trained in two puppet shows. it gets redundant but itgets you out of the heat.

But disney is so strick that it can be cruely blunt. unfortunaly non of the face characters with the exception of malefecent uses prostetics.. so you have to look a lot like the character.

But fur is not bad. I've kind of missed it. haven't done it in weeks and miss that interaction.

But then again, tutter is pretty cool too. It's not everyday you get to work with a big orange bear.

Namine78

Original Poster
Right now, I have an online friend who is helping me out by asking the cast members she knows what roles are for a gal my height.

And if I do have to start out as a mascot, I will do it because I know it would probably lead to what I want to do. Look at Kevin Richardson. He had been one of the Ninja Turtles and graduated to Aladdin when he worked at WDW.

However, I have been told I have a pretty face and look different with my glasses off...it depends if the casting agent thinks so as well, I think.

Mecha Figment

off topic but i thought i should mention it because it is jsut funny.

Stitch is doing a big no no in that picture. He still has the pen in his hand, instead of hiding it. and what does it look like?

Yep apparently stitch is a chronic smoker.

WDWKat26

Mecha Figment said:
off topic but i thought i should mention it because it is jsut funny.

Stitch is doing a big no no in that picture. He still has the pen in his hand, instead of hiding it. and what does it look like?

Yep apparently stitch is a chronic smoker.

Oh geez, don't be such a nazi. I've had people take pictures of me with pens before. I even have someone taking a picture of me waving a pen in front of the girl's face trying to give it back to her. Sometimes guests are in such a daze it's like a routine "Autograph, Turn around, Picture" and they forget to take their stuff back.

kellydisney

I think you wanted honest responses to this post and I hope not to come off as too cruel but I am assuming if you wanted positive feedback, you posted the best picture you have of yourself. If that is the BEST picture you have of yourself, then...

I think you are too old to go for a face character, I don't think they would hire a 27 year old (my age too) when they have plenty of younger girls auditioning for those parts. I also don't think you have the face for a face character nor the body. Those girls are TINY. I'm sorry but I think you should explore other options.

robynchic

kellydisney said:
I think you wanted honest responses to this post and I hope not to come off as too cruel but I am assuming if you wanted positive feedback, you posted the best picture you have of yourself. If that is the BEST picture you have of yourself, then...

I think you are too old to go for a face character, I don't think they would hire a 27 year old (my age too) when they have plenty of younger girls auditioning for those parts. I also don't think you have the face for a face character nor the body. Those girls are TINY. I'm sorry but I think you should explore other options.
If she wanted us to be honest, we're trying to do it nicely. If you want us to be straight forward and blunt, let us know- and we'll answer as honestly as possible.

Namine78

Original Poster
First of all, it had taken me over ten years to say I wanted to act again. I didn't know about the college program when I was studying. Secondly, I do get mistaken for younger.

I do not want people to be blunt with me. I don't want any sugarcoating, either. I am trying to make up for lost time at this point, so please think about what you will write concerning this topic.

kcw

just do it!!

so honestly I think that if this is something that you really want to do, then DO IT! This is obviously something that you've wanted to do for quite a while, so if you don't take this opportunity then you will always regret the fact that you didn't even try and that you let other people talk you out of it! Go and audition- prepare as much as you can and then just do your best. If you don't make it, then you will still have learned a lot, and i'm sure it will be such a good experience, and if you do make it then FABULOUS!
Just as a sidenote, I've asked quite a few people on here about my own chances of becoming a face character and have gotten several varied responses back. Some say ya you should have a pretty good chance, while others say no you probably couldn't for this reason or that... and all of them have claimed to actually be characters and know what they are talking about! I'm not trying to discredit them at all, but what I had to realize is that there are judges that will be making the decisions as to where to place us, NOT the people on this board! Everyone on here is only trying to help and answer your question, but they don't have the ultimate decision!! So take their opinions with a grain of salt, and go audition!!!! you don't want to regret giving up before you even tried!!!! and good luck babe! :p

WDWKat26

kellydisney said:

I agree.

You say that you want to get into acting, and I know our department is Entertainment...but I wouldn't really consider it acting unless you are in one of the major shows on property. Of course you're "acting" like a character, but you might want to explore other options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom