Too Old?

kellydisney

If you are going for a face character, I think you need to post a better picture of yourself to get some real honest feedback. In that picture you can't really tell what your face looks like, you just look older. If you want to ACT then try that avenue.

I have several friends who tried to be both face characters and performers. The ones who made it were extremely thin and very good looking girls and one very thin guy who could dance and he only got the role of Lumiere though he was good looking as well. The others were cute but you need natural physical characteristics that casting is looking for to play up. There is no harm in trying, but the question was, what do we think?

Namine78

Original Poster
Acting unfortunately requires having an Equity Card to have a good part. That unfortunately cost $1,100 for membership, which I don't have. And by the time I get that much, I won't be able to pretend I'm younger than I am. I probably won't make it to stage or film, but I would like to do something I'd enjoy.

I've also had constant struggles with my weight, which I'm starting to control. I don't want to be out of line, but please stop going on about it! I get very upset when people don't think I'm doing anything about it!

Tropicsky1

I think you should go to Orlando and audition. Who knows what will happen unless you try, and at least you would be working on achieving your goals. Just go with an open mind, and a willingness to do fur. Fur can be great....one thing I loved about it was when you had to work really early, it didn't matter what you looked like! I would wake up early, take a quick shower, and run out the door. No make-up, no 'styling my hair'...nothing. Because it didn't matter! lol. You were just going to get all hot and sweaty anyway, and no one would see your face :lol:. Anyway, good luck with the audition, if you do decide to go.

PlanetD

Namine78 said:
First of all, it had taken me over ten years to say I wanted to act again. I didn't know about the college program when I was studying. Secondly, I do get mistaken for younger.

I do not want people to be blunt with me. I don't want any sugarcoating, either. I am trying to make up for lost time at this point, so please think about what you will write concerning this topic.

Quite clearly you have serious doubts within you. But if you are a beautiful person on the inside. Show it, also on the outside. You radiate what you feel like inside. If you feel like Aurora on the inside, you can be her on the outside two! It will cost, blood, sweat and tears though (but I guess you know that allready). It means you have to work hard to get where you want to be. Actually it is Walt Disney's own philosophy: "If you can dream it, you can do it!" Again, you need to work hard to get what you want (or perhaps get even close to what you want). But if you think it is worth it...then try it.

After reading your posts, I suggest you find the people who support you, that are honest with you. They can help you find the confidence and courage you are looking for. Close your ears for all the negative sounds, they are out there and yes it is so hard not to listen to that. I think it is important to show you mean business, that this is your dream and that you will not be happy unless you have even tried (at least that is the way it sounds to me). Also share this with your parents, I believe your parents should support the effort you want to put into it. Tell them you want them to support you, because it is so important to hear that from your folks. And again, carefull when negative words come your way.

Do some soul searching and go and work for it!

“If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.”
-- Vincent van Gogh (Dutch Painter)

Good luck!

David

kellydisney

Namine,

I am not insulting your weight at all. I'm just telling you not to uproot your life. Sorry to be the Simon to everyone else's Paula Abdul. I'm just trying to be honest.

cnicholson726

you are not to old to be a face character. Just give it a shot. call 407-828-1000, what you will have to do to be a face character you have to go on a audition. so just call the # and see what they tell you.

robynchic

I'm really sorry to be another Simon, but simply put- you are too short and don't have the right face shape for Aurora. Face shape is STRONGLY dependent on whether you could be a character. But if you're too short, you're out of the running for the character you want to be before they even take a look at your face.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, unfortunately. Sorry to be a downer, but anyone that is/was in the entertainment department on here will agree.

WDWKat26

robynchic said:
I'm really sorry to be another Simon, but simply put- you are too short and don't have the right face shape for Aurora. Face shape is STRONGLY dependent on whether you could be a character. But if you're too short, you're out of the running for the character you want to be before they even take a look at your face.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, unfortunately. Sorry to be a downer, but anyone that is/was in the entertainment department on here will agree.

I agree, it's not my intention to be a debbie downer but people on here don't know what it REALLY takes to be a face character and what the EXACT measurements are. I really don't see any of the face characters in you when I look at your picture. People on here are saying "Go for it, you can do it!" because they're trying to be supportive and optimistic. Don't get me wrong, that's great but I don't want you getting your hopes up for something that's not going to happen.

barnum42

I'm thinking you could be either looking at furs or streetmosphere, but from the audition requirements they want people with an improv background. However, if you can show them on the day then that's what counts.

Casting in the "real" theatre world is just as blunt when it comes to face and stature. My dad got a year and a half working in a West End revue not just on his singing skills, but because he was the same size as the bloke leaving and fit his costumes.

Acting is one of the worst professions to get into. It's not something you would like to do, it has to be something you WANT to do above all else. It's full of heartache and poverty. Your job is getting work and you don't get paid for that. It's an industry with too many people after too few jobs, cut throat and bitchy in the extreme (and that's assuming you can even get an Equity card). I don't write that to be discouraging of your dream, but to make you aware of what it's like. If you still want to go for it then do it now before it's too late.

Maybe take a year out and work in Entertainment at Disney (you won't get rich in that year) and then see how things stand. You can always then get a regular job and maybe do local theatre to keep the acting itch satisfied.

Lots of options available to you :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom