Too much renovations at WDW?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Is Disney undertaking too many renovations in such a short period of time? Biting off more then they can chew so to speak.

We have a long list of resort renovations, Epcot is getting some attention, with a number of exhibits/rides closed. Hollywood Studios is currently a shell of its former self as Toy Story and Star Wars lands are being worked on. MK is getting the Disney confirmed that a new TRON indoor roller coaster, though this probably doesn't much of an impact to visitors.

There's just so much happening to the point is it negatively impacting people's vacations to some degree?

I guess I'm posting this out of a bit of concern, as we are heading to Disney in about a month and I altered my itinerary to basically carve out what would have been a full day at HS, and then Epcot has the Ellen ride and the circle of life are closed.

BoarderPhreak

Yes, construction can be annoying and an eyesore, but it's good news! That means Disney is actually doing something rather than not (the jury's still out on Epcot). Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Nobody's forcing people to go to WDW. If it's that much of a concern, come back in a year or three when a lot of these new things will be open.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Yes, construction can be annoying and an eyesore, but it's good news! That means Disney is actually doing something rather than not (the jury's still out on Epcot). Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Big picture it is good news, but it seems they're cramming a 10 year improvement plan in a 5 year calendar.

Nobody's forcing people to go to WDW. If it's that much of a concern, come back in a year or three when a lot of these new things will be open.
Of course we're not forced but by the same token we're expecting (promised?) a certain experience from Disney and in some ways that could fall short. Disney is not cheap, I love going, as do my kids but there has to be a certain return on what you spend

BoarderPhreak

Big picture it is good news, but it seems they're cramming a 10 year improvement plan in a 5 year calendar.
But would you rather they crammed a 5 year plan into a 10 year calendar? There's already been too much of that with the result that things get modified/cancelled or perceived as languishing... And Disney's already behind the curve. Both Epcot and DHS are perfect examples; the latter practically a non-park at this point and well, FW being what it is (though "big changes are coming").

Of course we're not forced but by the same token we're expecting (promised?) a certain experience from Disney and in some ways that could fall short. Disney is not cheap, I love going, as do my kids but there has to be a certain return on what you spend
Of course. But Disney has a lot of catching up to do and there's only so much you can do "behind the scenes." Like NYC's MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority; subways, etc.) they do a "Fast Track" method of improvements... Like ripping off a Band-Aid. Better to concentrate the work and get it done more quickly, rather than drawing it out and causing more pain in the end. And again, if it's an issue, one could always postpone a trip.

John park hopper

The 50th anniversary of WDW MK may have something to do with the big push to get new things on line. After years of neglect it is good to see new construction, though it can be annoying. Don't plan on goining until 2021-22.

trainplane3

It's been far too long since they've done this. I used to be able to tell people that there's something new everytime you go down. Now, it's all felt frozen for a couple years. It finally seems like Disney's feeling pressure from up I-4 to actually do something about it.

erasure fan1

But would you rather they crammed a 5 year plan into a 10 year calendar? There's already been too much of that with the result that things get modified/cancelled or perceived as languishing... And Disney's already behind the curve. Both Epcot and DHS are perfect examples; the latter
Exactly. Is there too much construction? Yes. But its the result of far to much neglect and them having to play catch up. The sad fact is even when this phase is done, they still have a LONG way to go.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
But would you rather they crammed a 5 year plan into a 10 year calendar?
Yes, that's my point. Too much occurring too quickly that is impacting people's enjoyment of the parks, especially when we're paying a premum.

lol, the mouseworld can't win. We complain that stuff is old and outdated, then we complain that there is too much construction going on.
I think both sides of the complaint are justified. Yes, I think Disney say on their laurels too long, just look at Epcot with the Ellen ride (now closed), how long was that running without any major update? Yet I wonder if Disney went to the extreme on the otheride.

I'm excited to go, and I'm not dumping on them, but I think because people staying at CBR have no food court, HS is largely closed off with major rennovations. it's fair to have such a discussion - at leat I think it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JIMINYCR

For so long now theyve been concentrating on the parks outside of the country. Everyone else was getting the new, the thrilling, the most innovative attractions. Now its our turn. I say sure it may be inconvenient, somewhat of an eyesore in places, can be disruptive, makes a park less inviting for a while.... but its a welcome change and WDW will be much better for it. I say do it while the powers that be will approve the money and changes. It gives us all the more exciting hope for the future and reasons to venture back in coming years. I can easily alter my plans and turn a blind eye to the sights of cranes and construction details... because it wont be there forever.

mergatroid

It's one of those be careful what you wish for things. On here there was complaint after complaint about Disney 'being stale' and not 'keeping up with Universal at building new attractions' etc. So now we get what we wanted and we see some people are unhappy as there's so many building sites and construction vehicles in Disney.

One thing I would agree they've possibly got wrong is the fact that The Studios currently has too little to do. The closing of TGMR seems particularly brutal, not the changing into a Mickey attraction but rather the timing of it. I'm sure there's some very valid reasons for this, they probably want it open with Galaxies Edge so not everyone is in there with a distribution between the two?

NickMaio

I dont mind renos....its the Disney snail pace that they work at. Come on guys pick it up.
Universal completed the second half of HP land in almost the same ammount of time as the Mine Train......its nuts.

GVentola

What concerns me the most is the roads. The most difficult part of my outings to Disney is navigating the roads to get to their parks or Disney Springs. No matter how many times I go, I never feel sure I'm in the right lane and might have to ease over to another lane at the last second and get beeped at. But if it will ease congestion in the end, I understand.

GVentola

Here's something positive about the construction. If you can see beyond the walls, you might catch a glimpse of future attractions in construction. How often I have seen photos of Cinderella's Castle or Spaceship Earth when they were in the middle of construction and wished I could've been there to see that! Well, now we have the opportunity to see future icons while they are being built! It's not Disney, but I'm proud to say I saw the volcano at Universal's Volcano Bay in various states of construction when driving by on Turkey Lake Road.

lol, the mouseworld can't win. We complain that stuff is old and outdated, then we complain that there is too much construction going on.
With all due respect they can bring back the old stuff ie: shark tank at typhoon lagoon, Horizons,Original Soarin, The food at Crystal Palace, Universe of Energy, Innnoventions, Sea base. I could keep going but its not gonna do any good. If they did or had things as cool as these were I would consider going back probably more than once a year.

Hayley In Wonderland

HS is largely closed off with major rennovations
I visited WDW in November and went to HWS twice and had no issues AT ALL with not having somewhere to eat both days. As far as I'm aware there is literally no food places closed? Only the back of the parks where the expansions are taking place, which wouldn't have been open to the public before anyway.....

BoarderPhreak

I visited WDW in November and went to HWS twice and had no issues AT ALL with not having somewhere to eat both days. As far as I'm aware there is literally no food places closed? Only the back of the parks where the expansions are taking place, which wouldn't have been open to the public before anyway.....
Even during better days, DHS always felt a bit like "a glorified food court" (with shops) to me - but especially these last few years.

Sure, the back end of the park is where most of the construction is taking place, but you have to think about all the things that closed to get us here. And it's a LOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom