Too much money and not worth it..

Goofyernmost

If you limit your dining to the CS locations, primarily Cosmic Ray's, I'd agree.

But once you break out of that mold (no pun intended), you'll find very tasty food at Liberty Tree Tavern, Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen, and the Columbia Harbor House.
Mileage may very, the worst meal I ever for a full service was at the Liberty Tree Tavern. I had a pork sandwich with meat I couldn't ever chew there was so much grizzle in it. I didn't complain, I just made a mental note to never go back there. I know that is only one place for one experience, but since I very seldom go to Disney restaurants it is a very high percentage of whatever experiences I have had.

eliza61nyc

I think you are missing the point. Some people do the research and carefully look at all the pro's and con's. Many more do not. They go and do what they .2 swant and what is the best for them personally. The only real time and effort with Disney is how the hell do I decide what I want to eat 6 months from now, how can I get a lot of FP's and the bottom line for resort and travel fees. Unless there is an offer for a free dining plan, no one really decides what it will actually cost to eat while there. They don't usually know until they actually get to the restaurant. Now, I know that you do that research and others do as well, but if I were a betting man I would definitely say that the majority do not. It is a freaking theme park, what's to plan about a theme park and the realization of how much the total cost actually was doesn't really hit home until the following months credit card bill comes in. If you add up every member of this board and all the other more popular boards 0 would probably only come up with less then a single days attendance at WDW. That means that every single person that attends there on the other 363 days did not do much more then make reservations and try to wade through the mess that is the first time planning needs of those individuals. Disney has enough of a reputation that everyone has heard how expensive it is, so that comes as no surprise. They don't even think about the options until after that first Visa Bill comes in.

It's important to realize that you, like myself, are not the average guest at WDW. Our involvement borders on obsessive. Everyone differs. I would never go near the place unless I was going to the parks. That is my escape. If I paid the rates for the resorts I wouldn't be able to sleep at night just thinking about how much it costs for me to lay there with my eyes closed, oblivious to all the lovely theming..

I;m not missing it, lol I just don't agree. I'm sorry, I'm not saying you have to pick out your entrees but heck I don't know a single solitary person that goes on a vacation and just rolls up to the place without at least knowing what's being offered.

And as so many people yell at me, Disney is different because most folks spend days there.

You're saying a person knows enough to book a restaurant 6 months in advance but doesn't bother to glance at the menu??? are you kidding me?? today's consumers Yelps and tripadvisors to the cows come home. and first timers are worst than us regulars. visitors with children will at least make sure they can get a meal for the kids.

sorry I'm not buying that people roll into MK have no idea about the restaurants and some how shocked and shaken about the prices. Maybe the 1990's version of travelers but today? nowadays people will look up the reviews on a local pizza joint before trying it.

Again, I'm not saying people pick out the dish down to the appetizer but nowadays everyone knows $$$ means it's expensive.

a simple google search of"where to eat at Disneyworld" turned up over 200,000 hits in .02 secs. folks are clueless that ti's expensive and just hand over the cc?? seriously? and people are mad at DISNEY!!!

ok so let me change that to anyone who is a first time visitor to wdw and knows enough to get fast passes and adr's 6 months ahead of time is practicing "willful" ignorance if they just start handing over the cc and goes without a budget. I don't know a soul who plans an anniversary dinner, let a lone a major vacation without some shred of information. You are suggesting that the majority of visitors roll up to the gates of MK without a clue to how much it's going to cost them to eat. seriously if that is true, then no wonder Disney gets away with the price increases.

so how do they make up a budget (or you're saying they don't). you think most folks pay for hotel and tickets and say we'll "wing it" with food?

I am truly shaking my head.

Last edited:

thomas998

If you limit your dining to the CS locations, primarily Cosmic Ray's, I'd agree.

But once you break out of that mold (no pun intended), you'll find very tasty food at Liberty Tree Tavern, Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen, and the Columbia Harbor House.
Tried them and while a different menu than cosmic it still was pretty much what I would expect in a college cafeteria. Only CS places we ever found to be acceptable were in Epcot or AK, MK is void of tasty CS food.

Goofyernmost

I;m not missing it, lol I just don't agree. I'm sorry, I'm not saying you have to pick out your entrees but heck I don't know a single solitary person that goes on a vacation and just rolls up to the place without at least knowing what's being offered.

And as so many people yell at me, Disney is different because most folks spend days there.

You're saying a person knows enough to book a restaurant 6 months in advance but doesn't bother to glance at the menu??? are you kidding me?? today's consumers Yelps and tripadvisors to the cows come home. and first timers are worst than us regulars. visitors with children will at least make sure they can get a meal for the kids.

sorry I'm not buying that people roll into MK have no idea about the restaurants and some how shocked and shaken about the prices. Maybe the 1990's version of travelers but today? nowadays people will look up the reviews on a local pizza joint before trying it.

Again, I'm not saying people pick out the dish down to the appetizer but nowadays everyone knows $$$ means it's expensive.

a simple google search of"where to eat at Disneyworld" turned up over 200,000 hits in .02 secs. folks are clueless that ti's expensive and just hand over the cc?? seriously? and people are mad at DISNEY!!!

ok so let me change that to anyone who is a first time visitor to wdw and knows enough to get fast passes and adr's 6 months ahead of time is practicing "willful" ignorance if they just start handing over the cc and goes without a budget. I don't know a soul who plans an anniversary dinner, let a lone a major vacation without some shred of information. You are suggesting that the majority of visitors roll up to the gates of MK without a clue to how much it's going to cost them to eat. seriously if that is true, then no wonder Disney gets away with the price increases.

so how do they make up a budget (or you're saying they don't). you think most folks pay for hotel and tickets and say we'll "wing it" with food?

I am truly shaking my head.
You are doing way to much reading between the lines. My point was that it is hard to know what one wants to eat six months from now. They have to look up the restaurants to do an ADR so of course they can see a menu. That isn't the point. The point is that there is no comparison with other options not located onsite. Pricing is done from above, (not heaven) and no matter what one is chosen onsite it will all be extremely costly. And people that have never left the safety net of WDW proper, do not really know how much extra they are paying just to eat.

Just because you have an official budget, does not in any stretch of the imagination mean that everyone does. Especially if they are working with borrowed money that doesn't have to be paid back immediately or come out of accounts immediately. Do I think the most folks are winging it with food prices? Yes, I am saying that. They may look up a restaurant with a type of cuisine that appeals to their pallet, but don't commit to memory the exact thing that they are planning to consume. How many drinks they are going to go through and whether or not dessert is in the picture until they get there. And let's not forget the tips.

Shouldigo12

It's not necessarily easier as much as it is possible where a cruise ship is an absolute confinement. Disney goes out of its way to make sure that it is enough of a hassle that those the took the magic prison bus from the airport are not likely to venture off property, especially if they have never been to the area before. I know that everyone has a different reason for how they justify it. Yours is a convenience fee (a huge fee for sure) others it is because they don't know of any other way or it is just not feasible to do it anyway other then what is easily in front of them. I know what is outside, I know the choices and the savings that are there for the taking so it is easy for me to say stay offsite, but I am also aware that those without that knowledge would seem like a huge cliff looming in front of them that they don't know how to climb and don't know what to do after the get to the top. It is just the way things are.
I would argue that with all of the ride sharing apps it's easier than ever to go off property for a meal. You don't even need to rent a car, just open up the app and go. Not knowing what's out here isn't an issue either; just Google "Good restaurants close to Disney World" or something similar and head out. Even better, ask a cast member for suggestions. I don't think people eat on property because they don't know what's available, they eat on property because it's much more convenient and wastes less time. Hence why I called the high prices a convenience fee. For a lot of first time visitors, and especially I imagine those first time visitors who know it's going to be a long while before they return, spending a lot and eating in under an hour is probably going to look more appealing than saving some money and spending two hours on traveling to the location, eating, and then coming back.

Basically, I don't think it's ignorance that keeps people coming to the restaurants, it's just different priorities. I know for a fact my dad would choose to high tail it to the nearest McDonald's before he so much as thought about getting a Mickey bar in the parks haha.

VaderTron

On the food prices it may just be me being use to our local park, but they seem in line with what I'm use to seeing. Is it high priced for what we're getting? Yes. At the same time a burger and fries at Kings Island without the drink is $13.49, another $3.99 for a soda. Seems more theme park prices in general are high unfortunately.
Kings Island offers a meal deal of entree, side and drink for $14.99. They also offer an "all day dining" option for $29.99. You can order a meal every 90 minutes all day long.

Or, you can leave the park and walk to your car (10 minutes) and drive to a Chipotle, Taco Bell, Outback, Buffalo Wings and Rings, McDonalds, Wendy's, Popeyes, Viva Tequila Tacos and Bar, El Rancho Nuevo, Dairy Queen, Jimmy Johns, Ruby Tuesday plus sushi, chili, pizza, subs, "diners", etc. all a mile down the road. If you run through the drive-thru you could have your food and be back at the park for a total trip time of 30-40 minutes.

It's not quite the same when you are in the MK. To leave you have to wait for a boat/monorail to get to the parking lot, (10 min) then a tram to your car (5-10 min), then drive at least 15 minutes to the nearest non-Disney restaurant off property. We are talking an hour to two hours (depending on restaurant) if you want to leave and come back. So, Disney's food prices are a little harder to navigate around.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
I would like to note, the price of the food isn't the sole reason for our not so great impression. We made dinner reservations at what was available when we booked. We went to one the 50's prime time diner and absolutely loved it. My original comment was regarding quick service meals. When our (young) kids were losing it and we picked whatever was nearby...which is generally how things pan out with kids. You can plan til' you are blue in the face, but when reality strikes you do what ya gotta do.

Bottom line, it seemed like a lot of work. And the other parents with kids similar ages to ours were struggling just as much- from what I perceived anyways. So I'm always surprised to hear young families who keep going back! Like, is anyone having fun?? Haha. I think we will wait to go back when our youngest is around 8, and we will likely have a better experience, hopefully.

And if we don't, I will most definitely return to let you guys know :) ;)

Shouldigo12

Kings Island offers a meal deal of entree, side and drink for $14.99. They also offer an "all day dining" option for $29.99. You can order a meal every 90 minutes all day long.

Or, you can leave the park and walk to your car (10 minutes) and drive to a Chipotle, Taco Bell, Outback, Buffalo Wings and Rings, McDonalds, Wendy's, Popeyes, Viva Tequila Tacos and Bar, El Rancho Nuevo, Dairy Queen, Jimmy Johns, Ruby Tuesday plus sushi, chili, pizza, subs, "diners", etc. all a mile down the road. If you run through the drive-thru you could have your food and be back at the park for a total trip time of 30-40 minutes.

It's not quite the same when you are in the MK. To leave you have to wait for a boat/monorail to get to the parking lot, (10 min) then a tram to your car (5-10 min), then drive at least 15 minutes to the nearest non-Disney restaurant off property. We are talking an hour to two hours (depending on restaurant) if you want to leave and come back. So, Disney's food prices are a little harder to navigate around.
Exactly. KI is my "home" park, and it's ridiculously easy to leave and get a cheaper meal somewhere else. It's completely possible at DW, but much more time consuming.Not to mention that a trip to KI for most people represents one day of a vacation and maybe a few hundred dollars, while at DW it's hard to shake that feeling of "I spent thousands to be here and I need to make every second count".

parkerthebarker

Original Poster

I would have paid 50$ for a Chipotle burrito at the end of the trip-haha!

At first I thought King's Island was a place in MK- I was like- how did I miss that deal? Would have gladly paid that..

Shouldigo12

I would like to note, the price of the food isn't the sole reason for our not so great impression. We made dinner reservations at what was available when we booked. We went to one the 50's prime time diner and absolutely loved it. My original comment was regarding quick service meals. When our (young) kids were losing it and we picked whatever was nearby...which is generally how things pan out with kids. You can plan til' you are blue in the face, but when reality strikes you do what ya gotta do.

Bottom line, it seemed like a lot of work. And the other parents with kids similar ages to ours were struggling just as much- from what I perceived anyways. So I'm always surprised to hear young families who keep going back! Like, is anyone having fun?? Haha. I think we will wait to go back when our youngest is around 8, and we will likely have a better experience, hopefully.

And if we don't, I will most definitely return to let you guys know :);)
You must think we're all insane, bickering about the reason behind food prices like this haha I promise you we all have lives. (Well, I don't, but most people here do!) Anyway, yes, the whole process is a lot of work. I adore planning so it's perfect for me, but I can understand why a lot of people balk when I mention making dinner reservations six months out and how I got up at 6 am to score ride passes.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
You must think we're all insane, bickering about the reason behind food prices like this haha I promise you we all have lives. (Well, I don't, but most people here do!) Anyway, yes, the whole process is a lot of work. I adore planning so it's perfect for me, but I can understand why a lot of people balk when I mention making dinner reservations six months out and how I got up at 6 am to score ride passes.

You guys are fun! ;)

Shouldigo12

I would have paid 50$ for a Chipotle burrito at the end of the trip-haha!

At first I thought King's Island was a place in MK- I was like- how did I miss that deal? Would have gladly paid that..
Haha, Kings Island is an amusement park in Ohio. It's a nice place if you ever find yourself in that state, although it's heavy on thrill rides so if your kids are still young they may not have much to do.

chrisbarry

I still think Disney - the food, the hotels, the park tickets - are worth what you're paying. No, it isn't cheap. But, seriously...I don't know what is. I've made these comments here before and when I think about what I pay at my local Six Flags for a bottle of water and lousy food, I'm doing so much better at WDW. We were just there a few weeks ago. My meal at Tangierine Cafe in Morocco was delicious and about what I'd pay here in New York for a similar meal (Disney is a few dollars more, but I AM on vacation so I expect it).

I'm a skier, an avid concertgoer and I chaperone trips to places like Six Flags and Dorney Park frequently. Lunch in a ski lodge?? Forget it. How about $6 for a bottle of water at Madison Square Garden or $13 for a domestic crappy beer?? Bottle of water at Magic Kingdom? $3.49. Beer in Germany? $9.50. No, it's not cheap...but it's pretty comparable to other vacation spots. And...I'd rather be having a Warsteiner in Epcot out by the lagoon for $9.50 than a $13 Budweiser at a Ranger game any day. And can I get the food or drinks of a place like Tangierine Cafe in a Six Flags? Nope.

It's $83 at the gate for a One Day Six Flags: Great Adventure ticket. Disney is about $120. Once again...not cheap but think how much more you're getting out of a Disney park for that extra $37.

Same thing with the hotels. Sorry, but that $235 a night I just paid for my room at Port Orleans Riverside was a deal compared to the big $$$ I have spent at Hershey hotels, Boston hotels, Cape Cod hotels, ski resort hotels. And what am I getting at all of those? A chain hotel with a small rectangle shaped pool compared to multiple pools, free transportation to and from the parks and the airport, better treatment, food court, boat to Disney Springs, etc.

None of it is cheap anymore. But, I find that, personally, Disney still gives me more bang for my buck.

BoarderPhreak

Honestly, unless you have a [rental] car while at Disney, you're at their mercy in terms of food quality, availability and price. Your only other option is delivery. It is what it is. It's like that anywhere you travel, but Disney unabashedly wraps you in their Bubble™. As long as you accept that going in, you can either roll with it - or go elsewhere.

VaderTron

Great point. But seriously, it's even easier than that. Just Uber over to restaurant row 10-15 out and enjoy some of the best cuisine in Central Florida.
I agree that there are some fantastic options there. But the ride there and back costs another $50....so....may as well pay the extra $20 a person at a nicer Disney TS. Order the lobster and stick around for some fireworks.

(See...That's why I can't go to Disney right now. My inner voice will betray me and lead me to fall right into Disney's carefully laid traps.)

VaderTron

Some of the worst lobster I've ever had has been at WDW "signature" restaurants. :oops:
Yeah me, too. I've also had fantastic. That's the annoying part. We have to constantly keep track of what restaurants are good and which ones are slacking. A few months later or a head chef moved to another restaurant and a good place can become a truck stop quality restaurant.

OneofThree

Yeah me, too. I've also had fantastic. That's the annoying part. We have to constantly keep track of what restaurants are good and which ones are slacking. A few months later or a head chef moved to another restaurant and a good place can become a truck stop quality restaurant.

Well, if you like lobster (at all) steer clear of Yachtsman Steakhouse. Whatever they were serving last time was closer to what I imagine vulcanized rubber tastes like. Even Red Lobster would have been a serious upgrade, tbh. :(

erasure fan1

It's $83 at the gate for a One Day Six Flags: Great Adventure ticket. Disney is about $120. Once again...not cheap but think how much more you're getting out of a Disney park for that extra $37.
Except if I buy my ticket for six flags by me beforehand, I save over 30%. At Disney, you get exactly nothing off for buying a ticket before. So realistically it's $65 dollars per person per day more. That's more than double the cost. And that's assuming you are going to Disney on a "value" day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom