Too Affordable/Good to be True?

Pluto'sGrl

Original Poster
Hi All. Just wanted some opinions on this.
I was looking at DVC resales today on The Timeshare Store, Inc site. I noticed that Vero Beach resales are as cheap at $62 per point. I was thinking of maybe buying a plan for Vero Beach but using it at WDW DVC resorts. We have no interest in staying at the Vero Beach resort.
I know I would risk limited availability when booking because we would never be booking at our home resort but we always book way ahead anyway and always go in the Fall when it's slower. Also, the likelihood of us booking at the same resort each vacation is slim. We would probably move around and try different DVCs each year.
Is there a downside or catch to this lower pricing that anyone can see or is aware of?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Aside from what you have mentioned the only thing I can think of is that if the price per point is too low DVC will not allow the sale. No idea what that Mendoza line is but Disney can stop a sale that they feel is too cheep.

mwbrown

Vero Beach is cheaper because it has an earlier end date than the current sales, and the highest maintenance cost. When you factor in the maintenance costs compared to other resorts, it can make it less cut and dry to buy there...

Lynne M

You'll save money up front by buying VB, but the maintenance fees are significantly higher than for the on-site resorts. VB is in prime hurricane territory, and has already been closed once for repairs to hurricane damage. Remember, you'll be paying those fees for around 30 years, so over that period of time VB could end up being significantly more expensive to own.

If you truly don't care where you stay at WDW, then I'd pick up an OKW or SSR resale. The MF are much lower than VB, and at least you get the 11-month booking window for a WDW resort.

Also, keep in mind that busy seasons at DVC are not the same as busy seasons at WDW resorts. For instance, you mentioned that you like to go in the fall. September is pretty quiet for DVC bookings, but from Oct 1 through the end of the year is a very busy time for DVC resorts. The smaller resorts, and particularly the Epcot-area resorts (because of Food & Wine), can be quite tough to get at 7 months.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Aside from what you have mentioned the only thing I can think of is that if the price per point is too low DVC will not allow the sale. No idea what that Mendoza line is but Disney can stop a sale that they feel is too cheep.
Disney has first right of refusal. If you provide a signed sales agreement, Disney can only either approve the sale or purchase themselves.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disney has first right of refusal. If you provide a signed sales agreement, Disney can only either approve the sale or purchase themselves.
Correct, but it is my understanding that you do get the DVC membership. Disney gets it and then sells it themselves.

tjkraz

There is also SOME small risk that Disney could decide to rid themselves of the non theme park locations someday. For example, if Disney sold the Vero resort to Marriott you would lose all access to the DVC resorts and basically become Marriott owners. Can't tell you what the odds are of that happening, but it would be legal and I guarantee the odds are somewhat higher than Disney selling any of its WDW properties.

And the vero dues are much higher than others as mentioned.

If you want to use the points at a WDW resort, then I'd suggest you buy into one of them. Make a lowball offer if you wish and see if you can get it accepted. You never know... ;)

slappy magoo

Hi All. Just wanted some opinions on this.
I was looking at DVC resales today on The Timeshare Store, Inc site. I noticed that Vero Beach resales are as cheap at $62 per point. I was thinking of maybe buying a plan for Vero Beach but using it at WDW DVC resorts. We have no interest in staying at the Vero Beach resort.
I know I would risk limited availability when booking because we would never be booking at our home resort but we always book way ahead anyway and always go in the Fall when it's slower. Also, the likelihood of us booking at the same resort each vacation is slim. We would probably move around and try different DVCs each year.
Is there a downside or catch to this lower pricing that anyone can see or is aware of?

In your situation, I'd at least consider OKW or SSR. The Vacation Club is only going to get bigger - you already have Vero & Hilton Head, Anaheim & Hawaii are coming. And while there will always be some people who want to visit those places whose home resort is in Orlando, in all actuality, the opposite is MORE TRUE, people will buy into those resorts thinking, like you, it'll always be easy to switch to Orlando. As a result, it may get harder and harder to get one of the Orlando DVC resorts. As has been said, what's off-peak for the general public is not necessarily off-peak for DVC members. I can attest, having been in SSR last December. We were there from the 10th to the 18th, and the joint was fairly jumping. If you buy into OKW or SSR, you'll have THAT much better of a chance of getting into WDW when you want.

MrBug

Another (probably risky, if you really want to stay at DVC resorts often) option is to buy a non-Disney timeshare, and try to exchange into DVC via RCI. I managed to get a week at BCV this fall :sohappy: by exchanging our RCI week, but I think I may have just gotten lucky - right place/right time sort of thing...

If you buy into OKW or SSR, you'll have THAT much better of a chance of getting into WDW when you want.

And that sounds like it makes a whole lotta sense

Pluto'sGrl

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone

Thanks all for the info and opinions. It makes sense that if we always want to go to WDW, we should buy into a DVC at that site. I would be worried that the Vero Beach plans could be sold to another large timeshare carrier if the economy continues on it's downslide.
We're looking at Kidani Village now and getting excited about that possibility...of course it's quite a bit more costly but seems to have great atmosphere.

Thanks again! :)

mmexpress

I got a deal for 100 OKW points at 71 per point, it passed ROFR and I have the closing docs signed and ready to send back.
Jaki at resalesdvc dot com was great to deal with, she went out of her way to help me and will definately get future business from me.

TomHendricks

Mendoza line, ha. Way to slip in a baseball reference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom