Tony Baxter D23 Interview: slams NextGen and The Myth of the Story

the.dreamfinder

Just to be 100% crystal clear, but Tony Baxter is no fan of NGE or what is being done in FL at all.

And that is putting it kindly-
Neither is Rohde. Supposedly he did an interview with Jim Hill (@RSoxNo1 can back me up on this since he said it on your show)and slammed NGE as a novelty and distraction from what makes the Disney THEMED EXPERIENCE, or UNI nowadays, great.

INTERACTIVE QUEUES ARE NOT THEMING DESPITE ALL THE MEANINGLESS BACKSTORY YOU WRITE TO JUSTIFY THEM!!

Last edited:

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I believe in the hood lingo, Tony just -slapped his former employer. I can't wait to see what's in store in the years to come.

He just brought NextGen to its knees... Talk about opening up. I'm glad he is making a point to fight for change. He did this quite a bit this weekend. Bob Iger joked about fans asking about Figment and Dreamfinder... Then Tony said when are we bringing Dreamfinder back. Considering he isn't holding things close to the best anymore, I suppose he won't have any work with Disney coming up. Though I hope that's wrong.

dadddio

He just brought NextGen to its knees... Talk about opening up. I'm glad he is making a point to fight for change. He did this quite a bit this weekend. Bob Iger joked about fans asking about Figment and Dreamfinder... Then Tony said when are we bringing Dreamfinder back. Considering he isn't holding things close to the best anymore, I suppose he won't have any work with Disney coming up. Though I hope that's wrong.
I guess that if he is, indeed, '-slapping' his former employer, then he aught not receive any more work from them, right?

BlueSkyDriveBy

I guess that if he is, indeed, '-slapping' his former employer, then he aught not receive any more work from them, right?
Wow. That totally assumes he was going to get work in the first place. You're amazingly naive if you think that was the case.

The man was fired. Vaughn and his minions hate him. Period. WDI's snot-nosed kids are done with Baxter. Game over.

lego606

MagicBandit
It was quite awkward. My wife kept saying that Staggs was akin to a robot with his constant corporate reference to Disney Parks and Resorts.... Over and over again.

We thank our many guests who visit Disney Parks and Resorts. Disney Parks and Resorts are a testament to the creative life of Disney Parks and Resorts. At Disney Parks and Resorts you can do many things, like visit a Disney Park, stay at a Disney Resort, or even visit one of our Disney Parks and Resorts water parks, only available at Disney Parks and Resorts.

HMF

We thank our many guests who visit Disney Parks and Resorts. Disney Parks and Resorts are a testament to the creative life of Disney Parks and Resorts. At Disney Parks and Resorts you can do many things, like visit a Disney Park, stay at a Disney Resort, or even visit one of our Disney Parks and Resorts water parks, only available at Disney Parks and Resorts.
Well, at least it's better than "Disney Parks".

lazyboy97o

I bet Matt Ouimet can name all eleven parks his company runs off the top of his head. Anybody think Tom Staggs could name all eleven DisneyParks?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Neither is Rhode. Supposedly he did an interview with Jim Hill (@RSoxNo1 can back me up on this since he said it on your show)and slammed NGE as a novelty and distraction from what makes the Disney THEMED EXPERIENCE, or UNI nowadays, great.

INTERACTIVE QUEUES ARE NOT THEMING DESPITE ALL THE MEANINGLESS BACKSTORY YOU WRITE TO JUSTIFY THEM!!
Remember when Disney had crappy queues and awesome rides? Universal (with a few exceptions, like Harry Potter) still follow this model.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

Maybe he is a robot and that's why NextGen's budget is bloated. They had to reprogram him and the coding was very complex and overly expensive. @WDW1974 this is confirmed right?

Sped2424

But can we all apprentice how well put his argument was? and how subtle his disdain for the project is, I have the highest respect for that guy. Also he has a damn good point.

ThemeParkJunkee

Priceless! I have listened to interviews with Staggs, especially regarding NGE and...he is a robotic quote machine.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My views on some of the goofier things about NextGen that I've read (and I have seen evidence of in my limited trial and what's going on now...even though I'm no longer on Magicbands, my card is RFID and I've used tap to pay pretty much every chance I can get...)

First, CMs obviously are trying to be trained to use your name after you tap.

Second, your KTTW / Band is being recorded BEFORE you order if you are on the Dining Plan, including your Pin (I assume to combat dine and dash??)

Third, I thoroughly enjoyed the band. In fact, going back to cards has actually been a chore. Even when the kid didn't want to wear her band, I actually found it easier to keep track of than cards. Places I'd REALLY like to have it for were on the cruise and at water parks...though, it's nice at the end of the day not to have to fish through a wallet or pockets or a backpack/purse to find your KTTW card.

Fourth, the "tipping" procedure is a bit different than previous years, as you are offered the chance to accidentally tip twice. I almost did this twice, once today, and once yesterday. This is due to the new receipts presented, which both include tip and total lines. If you fill out the first one, then the second one will include the tip, but will again have a tip and total line, along with your signature lines.

Fifth, I thought FP+ would ruin my day, but it didn't. Actually, it was loads of fun. However, I can't imagine that when 50k+ some odd Disney Resort guests (plus all the rest) using the system that it would be quite as neat. Especially since what I loved the most about it was that I could take advantage of traditional FP's as well.

Sixth, I vastly prefer the new park entry terminals compared to the older ones. It's a much less claustrophobic feeling. However, I have noted that crowd control seems a bit less organized (but not much)...

Seventh, I like the MyDisneyExperience App...when it works. I don't like it when it doesn't (which is often, even here at WDW where I am now)...and, in no way do I trust it with ADRs. For example, today I went to cancel my Dine with an Imagineer ADR for tomorrow...and the system was going to let me do it, but I cancelled at the confirmation page and called.

As it turned out, had I cancelled, it wouldn't matter, they would still charge me the full amount since it was within 48 hours and it's a special Dining Event.

All the interactive crud though (like texting to get a pirate to single you out, or Meet and Greets where they "know your name and stuff about you"...all that seems just silly and impractical.

<shrug>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Priceless! I have listened to interviews with Staggs, especially regarding NGE and...he is a robotic quote machine.
The issue with Staggs is that he doesn't really understand how to sell the product he's being asked to sell.

Probably because he, and many other Disney Execs, I suspect, don't actually do family vacations at Disney...or if they do, it's something like the Disney Cruise Lines or overseas.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

That kinda happens by default when you are forced into retirement, right?

Tony had class, played nice at Epcots anniversary as Disney paraded him around. Disney could have just gracefully gave him his window and his Legend and smiled. But no they wanted to manipulate Baxter and present him as if Tony was giving a nod of acceptance to NexGen. Tony has always been an honorable man, he drew the line in the sand. He won't be a fired puppet for Disney's ill conceived ideas that they could turn and blame him.

Are you under the impression that Disney would rehire him in some manner? Really? Why would they boot him to the door if they wanted him?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom