TONGA TOAST served at Kona Cafe and Rainforest Cafe?

PixyDust

I noticed there is Tonga Toast on the menu at Rainforest and Kona. Is this the same toast? I ask because I have NEVER tried this before. I hear people talk all the time about eating Tonga Toast at the Poly and how unreal good it is.

Anyone tried it at both places?

rosebud's mom

I haven't tried it in either of those restaurants, but HAVE had it at the Polynesian. :slurp: :slurp: Its absolutely heavenly !!!!!! One thing though, makes sure you're hungry because it is REALLY filling. I had the toast for breakfast and when I was finished felt like I needed to go back to the room for a nap !! :lol:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I noticed it on the menu too and wondered if it was the same. If you like tonga toast (or want to try it) there is a recipe for it in the Recipe?? thread...its yummy, but very filling. Can you say carb overload? :lol:

Upvote 0

Scooter

I tried Tonga toast a year ago at the Polynesian.

I'm STILL buzzing from the sugar rush.

Don't feed it to your kids or they will get the heebie jeebies and will be bouncin off the walls. :lol: :sohappy: :p :sohappy: :p :sohappy:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Kadee said:
PLEASE.....could someone describe this Tonga Toast? I am very curious.

The Recipe:

Ingredients:

2 or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
1 banana
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
oil or shortening for frying
whipped butter and/or syrup

Method:

Cut a 1-inch pocket in one side of each bread slice. Cut banana in half crosswise, then split each piece lengthwise. Remove peel and stuff two pieces of fruit in each pocket of bread; set aside. Mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Mix together well the egg, milk and vanilla.

Heat about 4 inches of oil in a pan to 350º F. Dip stuffed bread into egg/milk mixture and let it soak a few seconds to let penetrate bread. Fry bread on both sides in hot oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels or wire rack. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve.

Upvote 0

Invero

You just HAD to describe it like that and make me crave it, now didn't you. Now what am I going to do??? You can't get tonga toast at 11:00 at night!!!!!!! :hammer:

Upvote 0

tbell

that tonga toast sounds so yummy......so it the Kona Cafe really busy in the morning, do you have to make PS to eat there or can you just walk up?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

tbell said:
that tonga toast sounds so yummy......so it the Kona Cafe really busy in the morning, do you have to make PS to eat there or can you just walk up?

We never had PS and we stayed in August, sometimes a 15 min wait though. :wave:

Upvote 0

MKingdom25

rosebud's mom said:
I haven't tried it in either of those restaurants, but HAVE had it at the Polynesian. :slurp: :slurp: Its absolutely heavenly !!!!!! One thing though, makes sure you're hungry because it is REALLY filling. I had the toast for breakfast and when I was finished felt like I needed to go back to the room for a nap !! :lol:
I think most everything I eat at WDW is so good and filling I need to take a nap. But walking around usually cures that. Plus napping at WDW is for the weak! :lol:

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

MKingdom25 said:
I think most everything I eat at WDW is so good and filling I need to take a nap. But walking around usually cures that. Plus napping at WDW is for the weak! :LOL:
There was no way I was wasting a minute of park time !! Besides, after that calorie-laden breakfast I needed the workout walking ! I just said it FELT like I needed a nap. :slurp:

Everyone be warned : Tonga Toast may be ( make that assuredly IS ) addictive and NOT for the conscientious dieter. But then.....who diets at DisneyWorld ? or is that another thread altogether................

Upvote 0

Kadee

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU......
for that recipe!!! Kona will definitely be my first breakfast stop on my next WDW trip!!!! And who cares about the calories?!!! We walk it all off anyway,... right?:lookaroun

Man! What did we DisneyFreaks do before this site?? I think it is perpetuating the madness:p:p:p But would any of us have it any other way? :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Tim G

tigsmom said:
The Recipe:

Ingredients:

2 or 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
1 banana
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
oil or shortening for frying
whipped butter and/or syrup
Indeed Tigsmom, this is The Mother Of All Carb Bombs...!!:D :D :D

Upvote 0

Danijo

Oh! Now I'm totally craving Tonga Toast. We tried for the first time when we were staying at the Poly in June. Unbelievable! Our waitress suggested splitting it between my husband and I which was the perfect solution. We were hooked and had it several times during our visit. As for wait times, surprisingly it was never very busy. At most, we waited 5 or 10 minutes. Ohana's, however, is another story. You absolutely must make PS or you don't have a chance of getting in.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Kadee said:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU......
for that recipe!!! Kona will definitely be my first breakfast stop on my next WDW trip!!!! And who cares about the calories?!!! We walk it all off anyway,... right?:lookaroun

Man! What did we DisneyFreaks do before this site?? I think it is perpetuating the madness:p:p:p But would any of us have it any other way? :sohappy:

Wander thru here....Recipes from WDW

I always crave WDW food right before & after a trip. :D

Upvote 0

Kadee

Thank you so much, tigsmom for the link! Great recipes! You are so sweet and always helpful. What would this forum do without you?!! I tried to give you points, but it says I must spread it around. SO you are on my list for points after I "spread it around." (SOunds like some sort of disease, huh?)

Anyway, Thanks, Again!!!!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Kadee said:
Thank you so much, tigsmom for the link! Great recipes! You are so sweet and always helpful. What would this forum do without you?!! I tried to give you points, but it says I must spread it around. SO you are on my list for points after I "spread it around." (SOunds like some sort of disease, huh?)

Anyway, Thanks, Again!!!!

Anytime. :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom