Ton Newton - Out

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Very interesting considering the company has been very committed to DEI initiatives - either she didn’t feel the company was or they’re moving in a different direction and need a “company man/woman” in that position to tow the line.

If you want to work on DEI it doesn’t get much bigger than a company like TWDC where you can effect it in a daily manner in millions of people’s lives by the culture and product that the company creates. I wouldn’t think it’s a job you leave just because you’re joining another board or you want to “pursue your own endeavors.”

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I mean, I think the majority of us can agree that Disney hasn’t been working diversity and inclusion into their media as successfully as they should be. Hopefully this will mean someone better fit for the position will fill it.

I would argue this means they’re trying to walk some of their DEI initiatives back. There is no reason someone leaves a job of this stature unless a - they’re not happy with how the company is handling DEI because they’re trying to roll it back or b - they’re getting rid of her because they know she won’t support the rolling back of certain initiatives.

I could be wrong but the fact that her exit was scooped by Variety tells me this is an Iger hit job. They use Variety and THR to do their dirty work.

Zenia Mucha should be back in the next 30 days or so I imagine if this continues.

TheIceBaron

Not sure how exactly she influenced the studios, but I feel every show or movie lately from Disney has the “check box” mentality. Where every single piece of media has to include someone from every single type of demographic, simultaneously not offend anyone and probably a bunch of other onerous requirements.

I think that type of mentality leads to inferior results and is likely to blame for the negative box office as well as D+ performance lately. It makes it hard for artists to do their craft and makes artists look to other non-Disney partners to work with. With the latest Pixar bomb, I think that Disney is looking to reboot itself. These types of failures are untenable long term. In short, if she had a hand in this check box mentality for their media, her departure will be a welcome one.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
When you leave on your own good terms, do you usually have the SEVP of HR announce your immediate departure (without a transition and named permanent replacement) and also write your "goodbye" letter?

No you do not. The fact that there's no quote from her in the departure announcement says all you need to know - she was not a willing participant in her separation.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Can you IMAGINE what would happen if “they” tried to make Spider-Man African American??? Or Hispanic????? DISASTER!!!
This is very easy. Miles Morales is half black, half Puerto Rican. Peter Park is white. Both can be Spider-Man.

They did it right with Captain America. Sam Wilson as Captain America is good. Recasting Steve Rogers with Anthony Mackie would have been bad.

Tha Realest

Can you IMAGINE what would happen if “they” tried to make Spider-Man African American??? Or Hispanic????? DISASTER!!!

If the current anti-DEI warriors had been around in the 60s and 70s they would have howled themselves blue in the face about “woke” Marvel, which soared to popularity largely thanks to the college campus counterculture.

There are genuine, nuanced discussions to be had as to whether current DEI measures are the best way to achieve actual inclusivity and equality, but those discussions aren’t going to happen in a thread full of posters crowing about the departure of a DEI exec from a company at the very center of the culture wars.
I think the answer is Sony is much better at this (Spiderverse films, LGBT representation in Mitchell’s vs the Machines) than Disney.

Disstevefan1

I gotta imagine the was told to leave and did not leave on her own?

I can't imagine why she would leave on her own?

All the DEI, ESG initiatives seem to be being put in place, she can't have any argument with what the company was doing in that area.

Could this simply be a cost cutting measure, and the company allowed her to say she was leaving.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is very easy. Miles Morales is half black, half Puerto Rican. Peter Park is white. Both can be Spider-Man.

They did it right with Captain America. Sam Wilson as Captain America is good. Recasting Steve Rogers with Anthony Mackie would have been bad.

That re-casting wouldn't make sense, since it's a continuation of the same story. TLM is different since it is a remake of the original, so changing the race of the character shouldn't matter.

WDWFREAK53

That re-casting wouldn't make sense, since it's a continuation of the same story. TLM is different since it is a remake of the original, so changing the race of the character shouldn't matter.
To me, recasting TLM could be viewed as putting the audience in Eric's shoes.
Eric didn't know what Ariel looked like...he didn't care. He fell in love with her voice and that's what the audiences should do with this TLM.

The movie itself may not be great but you can't deny her singing voice.

TheIceBaron

I think that Disney (along with most other companies) were presented with figures by consultants showing that DEI initiatives increases financial performance. I’m sure the financial projections showed that trying to reach the widest audience as possible would yield the best results. Mark Cuban recently alluded how this mentality is just good business.

This sounds great on paper and probably initially had success. However, the DEI initiatives increasingly seem to be made with little regard for what is being sold to audiences. Disney is currently more focused on “content” vs “art”. Audiences have less money and more options to when deciding to consume Disney products or not, so quality not quantity is going to matter in the future.

We obviously don’t have the whole story, but to the extent that the DEI division interfered with the creative process, it makes sense to limit their influence and participation on future projects.

doctornick

Making Thor a white male was wrong?

I'm not really sure I understand citing Thor in this example. The comics - and movies - have well established that whoever is worthy of lifting Mjölnir gains the powers of Thor. Jane Foster gained his powers when using the weapon. She didn't become Thor (the person) or replace him as Odinson continues to exist, she gained the "title" of Thor/god of thunder. Beta Ray Bill is a horse alien and also was able to lift Mjölnir and gain the title of Thor in the comics so this is not unique to Jane.

I'd agree with @CaptainAmerica here that there is a big difference between taking an established character and gender or race swapping the same character (essentially replacing them) versus taking a character's features and using them to create a new character of a different race/gender (so complimenting them). You will absolutely get some complaining from the fringes either way, but the latter will be much more accepted by the general populace than the former.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom