Tomorrowland Transit Authority refurbishment

raymusiccity

Others will surely correct me if I am wrong, but the ride as is is not fully ADA compliant. That's okay, however, as it is grandfathered in and okay to continue to operate. It can be refurbished and updated without losing its grandfathered status, but if they were to substantially change the attraction -- and I would guess adding track to go out to Tron would fit this -- then it would involve changing a lot of the ride to be in compliance with ADA.

This is allegedly the problem with DL's version and why it never reopened. Since it was last used for Rocket Rods, going to a peoplemover ride again would be considered a new change and cost far more money than anyone thinks its worth and so the track just sits there unused.

Perhaps this is just an urban myth though.

Disneyland doomed their Peoplemover when they refitted it to accommodate Rocket Rods. The new ride put so much stress on the structure that cracks and falling concrete became a hazard. Of course, trying to reverse engineer the system became a money pit. Another example of unforeseen consequences. :(

Luv4disney

Oh that would be great if they update , the last 4 trips it has broken down while we rode. worst was back in may it was 96's.... in the heat and sun stuck on it over 20 minutes not having the ability to get up and walk off.
why oh why does the moving walkway always breakdown, i felt so bad for the elder and medically challenged people having to struggle to walk up that steep walk way. this totally needs update for sure.
but overall this is still a favorite of mine especially to escape heat and crowds for a lil while.

Brad Bishop

Would they consider extending the track and have the Peoplemover go through the new Tron showbuilding? Just hang a left a little before the entrance to Space Mt and then circle back. Not sure if they would spend the money but it would be cool.

I think those days are over. Old (pre Eisner) Disney probably would have done it. Current Disney needs to be able to:
1) IP it (people want to ride the movies!!)
2) See a box on a spreadsheet that shows ROI across 3 years and routing the Peoplemover through another building won't be seen as increasing ticket sales so, no.

I know you can argue: It's a business! They must show where the profit will be made.

I think that misses all of the little things that add up to a better guest experience and, in reality, more sales, more returning visitors, more word-of-mouth. The problem is that you can't show those things on a spreadsheet so it boils down to the very simple: Will doing x increase ticket sales by y? If not then it doesn't get done.

The Peoplemover never had to go through Space Mountain but most people would argue that it's cool that it does. No one (well, there's always that one guy) will buy a ticket to the MK so that they can solely ride the Peoplemover through Space Mountain and, if that part of the ride didn't exist, they otherwise wouldn't buy a ticket. At the same time, that little nuance is appreciated by a really high percentage of the guests.

ppete1975

I honestly don't care what they do, as long as it gets maintenance and never gets removed. I think they learned from Disneyland... but I don't put anything past them anymore. I still miss the skyway (the buckets.. not the reused name for the gondolas).

ppete1975

Any chance we'll get the Tomorrowland entry towers back (with or without the fountains?)
why would you want these back...... totally kidding id be offering to chip in to rebuild these beauties...
524067715_d237d823fe_o.jpg

AEfx

Any idea what it would cost to make the track longer? We know on the monorail... well sorta

Unlike the monorail, which we can estimate a per-section price based on various data, any changes to the peoplemover track would require ripping out and messing with a lot of various infrastructure as it's tied in to so many different buildings.

To be honest, I don't think they would ever do it and I'd rather they not for the amount of money and time it would take - particularly because the ride is rather "endless" to begin with, since most of the time they will let you stay on for as many rounds as you want.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unlike the monorail, which we can estimate a per-section price based on various data, any changes to the peoplemover track would require ripping out and messing with a lot of various infrastructure as it's tied in to so many different buildings.

To be honest, I don't think they would ever do it and I'd rather they not for the amount of money and time it would take - particularly because the ride is rather "endless" to begin with, since most of the time they will let you stay on for as many rounds as you want.
The cost wouldn't be too extreme. They could incorporate a section of the tracks through the new show building so you wouldn't need very long of an elevated section to connect to that new addition. If you are already building a show building anyway the costs wouldn't be that much but adding it afterwards would be a lot more expensive.

I think it would be cool, but agree with everyone that it's highly unlikely to actually happen.

Bocabear

So very true! She basically doomed the entire 1998 Tomorrowland redo. All three new attractions (Innoventions, Honey I Shrunk the Audience and Rocket Rods) are defunct. Okay... Astro Orbiter is still there. Even Cosmic Waves and the Orbtron are not what they were. How I long for a reimagined land!
I don't think Cynthis Harriss actually had the authority to cut the budget for the New Tomorrowland...that was all Eisner's baby... Harriss cut the budgets for maintenance which ended up causing problems all over the park, but I think the blame of Rocket Rods remains squarely in the CEO's lap.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
*Shudders* I just had a worst thought.....Let's pray that they don't theme it to this little twerp around his Disney Jr show since it involves the TTA...
eu_dj_chi_miles_r_29f18442.jpeg

Nah. Not enough exposure. It's a very weak IP. That said, "they" are aiming to correct that by renaming it Mission Force One. I wonder if they'll take the property in a different direction. It makes more sense to move this into tween territory and make in an XD program but even if they don't go in that direction the show will presumably veer away from the TTA tie in. Knowing this; I can't imagine WDI bastardizing TTA with this property. A good sign!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom