Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover

deltaandthebannermen

Original Poster
Disney Dad Blog: Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover

After spending quite a while in Fantasyland in the company of Cinderella and her friends, it's time to head back to Tomorrowland for a look at some more attractions not associated with films.

So far we've examined the Astro Orbiter and its various iterations across the different parks; the Tomorrowland Speedway and Autopia attractions and the Carousel of Progress. Now it's the turn of the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover.

This is a bit of an odd attraction and yet remains popular. It involves slow moving futuristic carts taking guests on a gentle tour of the upper floor of many of the other Tomorrowland attractions including Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and the Carousel of Progress.

Retroactively, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority has been featured in the animated TV series, Miles from Tomorrowland.

Ascending a slow moving escalator, guests arrive at the loading station where trains of five blue carts trundle slowly along the tracks. This is a ride which never stops moving and guest seat themselves as the trains move through the station. Once seated, so begins a leisurely tour of the sights, sounds and smells of Tomorrowland.

Initially, the train passes alongside the entrance for Stitch's Great Escape! and Space Mountain can be seen towering in the distance. On the opposite side, Astro Orbiter towers above the riders. Further along, Tomorrowland Speedway can be seen in the distance. Then the trains travel past the entrance of Laugh Floor before travelling towards the main entrance to Tomorrowland. From here, guests can see Main Street USA and as it turns another corner, the Cinderella Castle towering over the landscape.

The trains now enter a tunnel. On the left is a model cityscape depicting the world of tomorrow - in fact, it's prototype of Epcot. On the right are fluroescent signs and an alien in a rocket. Suddenly, the trains are travelling over the top of one of the Tomorrowland shops before guests return outside to see the Astro Orbiter again and the crowds milling around below. On the left, guests can get an even better view of Tomorrowland Speedway as the cars line up at the station where guests get in and out. Trains pass in the other direction as you get a good overhead view of the Speedway track.

At the end of this piece of track, a sign indicates that the trains are now about to travel inside Space Mountain. After seeing the sights and hearing the screams of people riding the rollercoaster, the track loops round and the trains return back past Tomorrowland Speedway. The track then takes trains towards Carousel of Progress and then another tunnel moves the trains inside Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

Back past the entrance to Tomorrowland from Main Street, we travel back towards the main hub of the area, back past Stitch's Great Escape and the Laugh Floor before seeing the Claw choosing an alien above a small kiosk. Eventually, the trains return to the station area where guests disembark.

Peoplemover continues to be a popular attraction for those guests in need of a rest and gentle tour of Tomorrowland. It's not a ride I would head straight for, or even think was an essential part of a trip to the Magic Kingdom, but actually, having viewed a few Youtube trips aboard it, it does bring back fond memories of Tomorrowland and listening to the accompanying commentary as you travel round. It also fits the original brief of Tomorrowland to a tee, far more than the later emphasis on Toy Story, Monster Inc and Lilo and Stitch do and arguably more than Space Mountain does. It's reflective of the 'vision of the future' element so beloved by Disney.

This attraction is a version of the Peoplemover ride at Disneyland which, currently, does not operate, having closed in 1997. A similar ride, it too travelled around Tomorrowland allowing guests so see the sights whilst enjoying a relaxing ride.

It's a must do for me. Twice actually. Once in the morning; usually as I wait for a fastpass to drop and then again late in the evening when Tomorrowland is lit up in all it's intergalactic glory. Walk on status during fireworks. Very underated ride. A peaceful end to a day at MK.
We are actually hoping to ride this at night this year! Along with Jungle Cruise and Dumbo.

LUVofDIS

It is definitlry an underrated attraction, not only do you get excellent views of other attractions, it see some indoor attractions from a different view point, including Space Ranger Spin and a closer view of the Astronauts. That alone is worth it.

My wife likes how relaxing it is, especially if it is hot out. I just love taking pictures from the vehicle and trying to get people in the carts coming the opposite way to slap five. I know it sounds dangerous, I live on the edge baby, I just try to make my hand very flexible so that no one gets hurt. So far I haven't heard of any casualties. I haven't needed to make a quick getaway yet.

MrConbon

What’s exactly the point of this thread? All this guy did was link his blog which gave a very in depth summary of what the ride is. I too can make long, drawn out explanations of every ride ar Disney World. Maybe if there wasn’t some hidden facts or something I could see the point but for now :depressed:

deltaandthebannermen

Original Poster
What’s exactly the point of this thread? All this guy did was link his blog which gave a very in depth summary of what the ride is. I too can make long, drawn out explanations of every ride ar Disney World. Maybe if there wasn’t some hidden facts or something I could see the point but for now :depressed:

Just enjoy writing about things to do with Disney, but I'm not as well versed in it all as some. Being a Brit I've only managed to visit WDW once but hope to again in the near future.

Hope you enjoyed my blog if you went to have a look ;)

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
There's also the added bonus where if Space Mountain is down, you can see it with the lights on by riding the PeopleMover. Well, some of it anyway since they added that wall during the 2009 refurb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom