News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

EricsBiscuit

Absolutely magnificent to see the steam locomotives chugging around the Magic Kingdom again! I’ve seen other steam locomotives in the last 4 years but nothing compares to the WDWRR. I can’t explain what. There’s just something there.
EAEEEBF6-69FC-40E9-8640-3C6F76F6A3C8.jpeg
8603FBF5-918D-4461-8A04-8A7E41ABDAAD.jpeg
461754FA-146D-43F4-9B1B-DBA6D6FE0E5C.jpeg
91431F1E-ACE9-4C6F-A1B1-730679AB5F46.jpeg
0E12E705-3F3C-46C9-B87B-B65604C5F9AE.jpeg
B1B62791-C0BF-4C3C-8E5E-BC75996BEB19.jpeg
E4C0D1F4-E512-4D42-A69D-93783F5B5558.jpeg
CB9877F5-5C0C-4108-9991-96B557AA2081.jpeg
FE9D8674-2BE4-472B-A4F9-79D23EE47A48.jpeg

Disstevefan1

Absolutely magnificent to see the steam locomotives chugging around the Magic Kingdom again! I’ve seen other steam locomotives in the last 4 years but nothing compares to the WDWRR. I can’t explain what. There’s just something there. View attachment 688090View attachment 688089View attachment 688091View attachment 688092View attachment 688093View attachment 688094View attachment 688095View attachment 688096View attachment 688097
Working showpieces that are real transportation too. Just beautiful. There is still a little bit of the spirit of Walt left in TWDC.

TrainsOfDisney

They opened the steam right after exiting MS Station. I think they have to do that every so often to clear residue from flues and tubes. In any case, it made for a great show!
The cylinders direct steam from the pistons direct to the outside so it wouldn’t be clearing anything out of flues or tubes.

It’s common when first starting a train to prevent wheel slips (less steam pressure going into the pistons) and it also releases some excess built up steam (good fireman would prevent too much built up steam but nothing is perfect).

fgmnt

Absolutely magnificent to see the steam locomotives chugging around the Magic Kingdom again! I’ve seen other steam locomotives in the last 4 years but nothing compares to the WDWRR. I can’t explain what. There’s just something there. View attachment 688090View attachment 688089View attachment 688091View attachment 688092View attachment 688093View attachment 688094View attachment 688095View attachment 688096View attachment 688097
It contributes to the kinetic energy of the park as much as it feeds off of that same energy. The two domestic castle parks feel more alive than all but a handful of American cities. Every element of this movement matters and MK suffers when any of it is taken away for as long as this one was.

EricsBiscuit

The cylinders direct steam from the pistons direct to the outside so it wouldn’t be clearing anything out of flues or tubes.

It’s common when first starting a train to prevent wheel slips (less steam pressure going into the pistons) and it also releases some excess built up steam (good fireman would prevent too much built up steam but nothing is perfect).
You’re right I think it has more to do with clearing water from the cylinders which could damage them since water doesn’t compress.

doctornick

It contributes to the kinetic energy of the park as much as it feeds off of that same energy. The two domestic castle parks feel more alive than all but a handful of American cities. Every element of this movement matters and MK suffers when any of it is taken away for as long as this one was.
It would be nice if they would return the boat to DAK (it actually would make sense between say Asia and Pandora as transport) and add something like the Red Car Trolley to DHS.

TrainsOfDisney

It would be nice if they would return the boat to DAK (it actually would make sense between say Asia and Pandora as transport) and add something like the Red Car Trolley to DHS.
The boats with the characters and the musicians do add quite a bit of energy to DAK but more boats would be welcome of course.

I think the problem with the boats is gone now that the park has more to offer.

I would love to see Red Car Trolleys at DHS!!!

DonniePeverley

Speedway is still an attraction?

Embarasssing and shameful from a entertainment point of view, and quite frankly absurd and disgusting from an enviromental point of view.

Disone

Speedway is still an attraction?

Embarasssing and shameful from a entertainment point of view, and quite frankly absurd and disgusting from an enviromental point of view.
I used to think the same thing. And then one day I was just standing there along the rails watching the cars just go by. My friend joined me in this observation and we observed kid after kid after kid having the time of their life, living in their best life... driving a car. Smiling kid after smiling kid.

So at that point I stopped being an advocate for its removal. It's probably doing a better job of providing joy to its intended audience than most attractions in the Magic Kingdom. I do wish we would get a more better version of it, but I do understand why it's kept.

DonniePeverley

I used to think the same thing. And then one day I was just standing there along the rails watching the cars just go by. My friend joined me in this observation and we observed kid after kid after kid having the time of their life, living in their best life... driving a car. Smiling kid after smiling kid.

So at that point I stopped being an advocate for its removal. It's probably doing a better job of providing joy to its intended audience than most attractions in the Magic Kingdom. I do wish we would get a more better version of it, but I do understand why it's kept.

Utter nonsense of the highest order. This was built in 1971 ! It's that type of talk that limits investment in the parks - where even the most mundane out of date attraction is lauded because of nostalga / kids love it nonsense. It's simply an excuse for no investment.

If riding a car is the attraction you want, you can do an upgrade to the attraction for a more fitting more attraction in this century.

Some Disney fans will be happy coming back in the year 2046 and suggesting Speedyway should still be around because of 'blah blah right of passage' etc

I despair.

JoeCamel

Utter nonsense of the highest order. This was built in 1971 ! It's that type of talk that limits investment in the parks - where even the most mundane out of date attraction is lauded because of nostalga / kids love it nonsense. It's simply an excuse for no investment.

If riding a car is the attraction you want, you can do an upgrade to the attraction for a more fitting more attraction in this century.

Some Disney fans will be happy coming back in the year 2046 and suggesting Speedyway should still be around because of 'blah blah right of passage' etc

I despair.
RSR or we riot! amirite?

Ripken10

I despair.
Despite what you say, driving the cars at WDW has easily been one of my four year old sons top 2 rides at any park anywhere. I can understand why an adult can't find that same joy, but having a son I can understand how much joy it can bring kids and why it is kept around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom