Tomorrowland Before WEDWAY / TTA pictures?

pketelaar01

Original Poster
I don't know why but im obsessed with finding what tomorrowland looked like before the peoplemover/wedway/tta was installed. Did the buildings have the overhang for the track or was this added later? what did rocket tower plaza look like when the park opened? anyone have any old slides/pictures of tomorrowland 1971-1975?

Anyone got any shots from before this?

524067715_8c0ef4d1a3.jpg

Captain Hank

If you can make it all the way to the end of this clip, there's a brief glimpse of pre-opening-day Tomorrowland: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gy_e-F_sMtQ

It pretty much dead-ended into rehab walls just past the Circle-Vision theater (now MLF) and Rocket to the Moon (now SGE). No Rockettower Plaza at all. (In other words, there really wasn't much "MORE" :) )

comics101

wow i like the look of modern day tommarow land much more lol

Really? I thought that picture was kind of cool. I don't like the colors much, but That waterfall thing is kinda neat. Definately more future looking than a bunch of red rocks and monsters...

brkgnews

Really? I thought that picture was kind of cool. I don't like the colors much, but That waterfall thing is kinda neat. Definately more future looking than a bunch of red rocks and monsters...
Yeah, I liked the tower style architecture, but that's the New York World's Fair (both 1939 and 1964) geek in me coming out.

By the way -- welcome to the boards, pketelaar01!

Rob562

Look for some of Martin's "History of Tomorrowland" videos. Some are available on MouseBits. They include a very good history of the changes in Tomorrowland over the years.

And to answer your general question, the WEDWay Peoplemover was always planned to be added to Tomorrowland, so the balcony was built along the two main buildings. It just wasn't used. More structure was added when the WEDWay was finally built.

And while the tower fountains looked cool, they had problems with wet Guests when it was windy, so the fountains were eventually turned off.

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To add to Robs answer, particularly get "Tomorrowland WDW - A History by Martin part one" where I pulled together a lot of photo and video of the land pre 1973 (WEDWay / StarJets / SM / CoP) and also have some `74 construction footage :wave:

pketelaar01

Original Poster
thanks guys! ive been a lurker for a while, especially loved the 180top spaceship earth stuff, this was something I was always curious about. found a great picture on omniluxe (wyw) of "if you had wings" with the wedway track above that just stops. and that "theres more" video is HORRRIBLE! ill post stuff here when I find it to share.

JWG

Nice video footage, the answer is there was nothing "pre" Wedway or TTA then. You can clearly see the future track being constructed as well as above Circlevision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom