Tom Sawyer's Island replacement / Expansion

zooey

The TSI project has been in development for several years. We've discussed it here several times.

As for the riverboat...the way I undersand it, it would become 100% more stationary if the TSI changes happen.

Nope, the Pirates will be staying at home in Adventureland.
They don't have time to move, due to an impending mermaid invasion. And I'm not talking about Ariel....:lookaroun

Why do they want to remove such a great source of kineticism from the park? I see quite a few people on the riverboat every time I'm there. Just let it be.
I understand that they want to use the TSI space for capacity without relying on the transportation rafts, but not at the expense of the Riverboat, please.

zooey

The way I see this is maybe they will take TSI and make that into another coaster type ride. To be honest, it would've been an ideal spot for a mine train ride and the theming would've worked. If I recall, the original plan for Big Thunder was a Wild West themed coaster ride, that would've been a slower ride than BTM.
As for the Liberty Belle. I would miss it. I am from the Midwest and know all about the Rivers they talk about. I could see them turning the Liberty Belle into another sit down restaurant since that is something Magic Kingdom does lack. Something like Fulton's Crab House in Downtown Disney. If I recall, I did see this somewhere on another post on the lines of this at one time.

You're likely talking about the Western River Expedition, which was going to be a pirates-esque dark ride with a wild west overlay.

The thing about turning Liberty Belle into a restaurant is that Liberty Square already has a restaurant, and WDW already has a stationary riverboat restaurant. There's nothing exciting about the prospect, really. Same old TDO thinking.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why do they want to remove such a great source of kineticism from the park? I see quite a few people on the riverboat every time I'm there. Just let it be.
I understand that they want to use the TSI space for capacity without relying on the transportation rafts, but not at the expense of the Riverboat, please.
From what I understand, access to the island is one of the main reasons guests do not go there. Mooring the riverboat and building a bridge would solve that issue.

wdwfan4ver

Four.

Also, if the Liberty Belle is permanently anchored to Liberty Square, I will literally punch a TDO executive in the face. I know I'm in the minority, but I find the Liberty Belle to be one of the most relaxing, fulfilling, and authentic rides in the whole park. There's no other ride that let's you just... breathe... quite like the Liberty Belle (except for maybe the PeopleMover). I ride it every single time I enter the MK, and can't imagine the park experience being the same without it.

I agree with you with the Liberty Belle. It is on my must do list every time I enter MK.

The Empress Lilly

Also, if the Liberty Belle is permanently anchored to Liberty Square, I will literally punch a TDO executive in the face. I know I'm in the minority, but I find the Liberty Belle to be one of the most relaxing, fulfilling, and authentic rides in the whole park. There's no other ride that let's you just... breathe... quite like the Liberty Belle (except for maybe the PeopleMover). I ride it every single time I enter the MK, and can't imagine the park experience being the same without it.
I'm with ya!

Stationary Riverboat - :brick::brick:
No more island Island - :mad:
Mark Twain, classic Americana replaced by cartoons - :hurl:

Frontierland / Liberty Square need to fade off into infinite space. The land will lose its placemaking, it's sense of magical place. From a frontier settlement along a river, it will be a Walmart next to a pond.

wdwfan4ver

I agree that Tom Sawyer Island had issues, but Liberty Belle being gone as a ride would be a mistake.

The problem with Tom Sawyer Island is a generational thing besides the access to it due to the technology available now compare to 20 to 25 years ago. Thanks to the amount technology kids have available in 2012, anything that requires imagination actually isn't that exciting for that age as it was in my time.

Liberty Belle and Peoplemover are the most relaxing rides at the park. Liberty gone as a ride would lower the amount of attractions at MK unless they planning on during 2 attractions despite adding capacity.

Liberty Belle as a restaurant really isn't a must for adding a restaurant because MK has restaurants that don't run full time in a while or years like Diamond Horseshoe besides Liberty Square already having a restaurant.

Sigmundooze

Not intriguing enough to prevent me from punching somebody in the face, though.

LOL so true :)

Like others have said TSI and the Liberty Belle are both very unique attractions that just aren't made anymore. My son and I love exploring the caves with their awesome and scary sound effects and looking for a paint brush. We made friends with a family looking for a paint brush as well. We ended up finding a paint brush and they didnt. I gave them our fastpasses that we won for finding the paintbrush and they gave us a pin from their collection. It was a totally magical experience that can never been duplicated with any other type of attraction. All I can say is I hope they focus on attractions that really need and update( like future world epcot pavilions) instead of the few remaining ones that have true magic.

IWant2GoNow

Honestly, TSI is something they shouldn't change. Major refurbs every few years, and they would be fine. The simplicity is the factor that makes it what it is.

I completely agree. If anything should be done to TSI, it should just be updated but keeping the same theme. Implement more things to do over there, yet keep open areas to explore the island. The fort needs an overhaul somehow without adding too much tech and keeping with the theme of the era.

IWant2GoNow

The TSI project has been in development for several years. We've discussed it here several times.

As for the riverboat...the way I undersand it, it would become 100% more stationary if the TSI changes happen.

Nope, the Pirates will be staying at home in Adventureland.
They don't have time to move, due to an impending mermaid invasion. And I'm not talking about Ariel....:lookaroun

Regarding the "mermaid" comment, I assume this is a reference to them possibly adding mermaids to PotC because of the most recent film? Guess I wouldn't be too surprised but where would they even add them in the scenes and could we at least get the Hat Pirate working before we go adding new stuff? :lol:

Now, back onto the thread tracks... The only thing I could possibly see taking TSI's spot if they were completely replacing it would be PatF. Am I in the right area?

drkokintz

It's funny... when I read the grid part, the very first thing I thought of was a quote from Flynn in Tron Legacy.

"We called it the Digital Frontier."

... and I thought: Well, I guess the new land will be called the Digital Frontierland.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's funny... when I read the grid part, the very first thing I thought of was a quote from Flynn in Tron Legacy.

"We called it the Digital Frontier."

... and I thought: Well, I guess the new land will be called the Digital Frontierland.
Which can mean only one thing......Firefly. :D

emaginear

A few months ago I read Disney was pitching the idea of a Tom + Huck movie(s). If that were true and done correctly the island would regain new life. Maybe gain some sort of water toboggan ride through the caves to escape.

Gregoryp73

Any chance they would expand out Liberty square?? Man I would love a sleepy hollow type ride. I know they have had additional interest in the New England area....and that area is fairly under represented

A few months ago I read Disney was pitching the idea of a Tom + Huck movie(s). If that were true and done correctly the island would regain new life. Maybe gain some sort of water toboggan ride through the caves to escape.
That actually would be a really great idea. Disney World doesn't have a toboggan ride, and the wood + water element would allow it to blend nicely with the islands woodsy atmosphere. Toboggan rides are thrilling yet also tame enough that the whole family can enjoy. Again, you have the logistical issue of how to get a mass amount of people to and from the island, but I'm sure they could get around that somehow.

Skipper03

Regarding the "mermaid" comment, I assume this is a reference to them possibly adding mermaids to PotC because of the most recent film? Guess I wouldn't be too surprised but where would they even add them in the scenes and could we at least get the Hat Pirate working before we go adding new stuff? :lol:

Now, back onto the thread tracks... The only thing I could possibly see taking TSI's spot if they were completely replacing it would be PatF. Am I in the right area?

Vicious mermaids in PotC would be awesome!! There's plenty of places to add a few water AA's.

TSI does need an update, but please don't close Liberty Belle!! Pretty much anything would work I think if they'd just keep it an island with faster access on & off... But the whole digital frontier idea? That's terrible!

Time will tell?

MarkTwain

From what I understand, access to the island is one of the main reasons guests do not go there. Mooring the riverboat and building a bridge would solve that issue.

But then you run into the question, is the gain of the island worth the loss of the riverboat? Some would argue that both are more useful in their current states, with TSI left as a kind of more untamed, natural, if uncrowded oasis from the rest of the park.

For me it's just a question of priorities. Sure you could close the Liberty Belle and build a new land on/starting from TSI... but why p*ss off so many park-goers when you could use that money at another park to build an expansion that we might actually like? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom