Tom Sawyer Island

cassiedoodle

Original Poster
I've been to Tom Sawyer Island a few times as a kid, but haven't done it since the early/mid 90's. My husband really wants to go check it out. Does anyone have any suggestions when the best time to head over there would be? Any cool things we should check out? The only thing I remember about it is how hot and cramped the boat ride is to get there :lol:

Martian Crab

never your not missing a thing sorry but dont waste your time

False^.

TSI is a beautiful way to break up the day. We like to go in the afternoon; it's shady, some places are quiet, and the views are great for photography. The caves are fun and the fort is interesting. Enjoy.

9bwoulfe

False^.

TSI is a beautiful way to break up the day. We like to go in the afternoon; it's shady, some places are quiet, and the views are great for photography. The caves are fun and the fort is interesting. Enjoy.

they were interesting when i was 5 lol its a waste of space and i bet 95% of ppl would agree with me

NiarrNDisney

Around lunch when the sun is scorching hot is a great time to head to TSI. The island is very shady and if you bring a small snack and a cold drink you will be able to relax and take a break away from the crowds.

blueboxdoctor

well what you remember is basically all there is. other than that there's a fort, little cave thing, barrel bridge, and closed aunt polly's (so don't expect to get food or drink while there). Overall it isn't really anything exciting, and is in serious need of updating (reason being it takes up a lot space and really isn't used for much and doesn't attract many people). Well ok, it isn't the worst thing ever, but there really isn't much to do there.

cassiedoodle

Original Poster
False^.

Thanks for your great input. We're both photographers and my husband is a life long Mark Twain reader, Tom Sawyer is really special to him. He's planning on bringing his corn cob pipe, I'm sure we'll get some fun pictures :lol:

akritas

False^.

Agree—do it if you have time, during hot hours was a good recommendation.

Make sure to do all three "caves": Old Scratch's Mystery Mine, Injun Joe's Cave, and the Escape Tunnel (in Fort Langhorn). They are all pretty creepy and a lot of fun to navigate on your own! Great example of forced perspective in the mine, too.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for your great input. We're both photographers and my husband is a life long Mark Twain reader, Tom Sawyer is really special to him. He's planning on bringing his corn cob pipe, I'm sure we'll get some fun pictures :lol:
If your hubby is that big of a fan I would suggest going over there on the first boat that leaves at 10:00 AM. The CM's will hide several paint brushes around the island and if you find one you will get a fast pass for either Big Thunder or Splash Mountain.

rangerbob

The boys and I really love going over there. One of them 17 wants to go over just to look for the paint brushes and when we turn it in we just give away the fast passes to somebody else. We really love going on the suspension bridge and the floating bridge. We normally come off the island with wet feet from bouncing on the floating bridge. Have fun when you go there. I need to get a good camera since there are several things on the island that I want to photograph. You can also get some good shots of Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion from the island.

cynic710

they were interesting when i was 5 lol its a waste of space and i bet 95% of ppl would agree with me

i disagree, i feel that TSI is a great way to take a mid afternoon chill between the lines and hustle&bustle of the park. walking the trails and looking at the park from a different angle is relaxing, even for a few minutes.

WDWLOYAL1971

I've been to Tom Sawyer Island a few times as a kid, but haven't done it since the early/mid 90's. My husband really wants to go check it out. Does anyone have any suggestions when the best time to head over there would be? Any cool things we should check out? The only thing I remember about it is how hot and cramped the boat ride is to get there :lol:

I recommend when the ride opens and have fun trying to find the paint brushes.

Buried20KLeague

If your hubby is that big of a fan I would suggest going over there on the first boat that leaves at 10:00 AM. The CM's will hide several paint brushes around the island and if you find one

Yep. If you're going to go over there, it makes good sense to do it right away and hunt for paint brushes... If you find one and get fastpasses for it, it's almost like the time you spend over there is free.

Club Cooloholic

Its nice when you have had enough of the lines etc. There are great rocking chairs to chill in too. Go when you need a break from all the merchandising and lines.

acishere

If you feel like taking a break, but don't want to head all the way back to your hotel for a nap just yet. Also when 2/3 of my group went to see the Hall of Presidents, I went to Tom Sawyer Island and napped in a rocking chair. It was an extremely peaceful and relaxing moment. If only they still had a food place over there, it would be perfect.

gustaftp

It most definitely is not a waste of space. It's a nice chunk of "wilderness" and a respite from crowds. It is one of my favorite places to get off my feet for a bit, sit on a rocking chair, and just take in the scenery and look at how nicely Liberty Square gradually meshes into Frontierland.

Chrononymous

TSI encompasses some of my favorite things about WDW.

It's an immersive place. The theming is excellent. It's relaxing and shady.
I love the caverns (especially if you early, and you are only one in there...they can be almost spooky!) and I love the "secret" cavern exit too.

If only they still served food there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom