Tom Sawyer Island Makeover

Smiley/OCD

Yes please do something with this attraction, meet and greets or even keep the island open later, it closes at what 5 or 6? Why can't they keep it open till at least 8 or 9? If there not gonna get rid of it at least do something to it.
They would never keep TSI open that late because WDW is not going to want people (especially kids) wondering around the island in the dark...There are enough "dark" spots on the island during the day.

Dizney Crew

They would never keep TSI open that late because WDW is not going to want people (especially kids) wondering around the island in the dark...There are enough "dark" spots on the island during the day.

There is something called lighting they could add on the island, also their are spots in New Fantasy Land at night that are barely lit, can't tell you how many times we've almost ran right into people because its so dark. So that excuse for not keeping the island open late is rather lame.

Matt_Black

There is something called lighting they could add on the island, also their are spots in New Fantasy Land at night that are barely lit, can't tell you how many times we've almost ran right into people because its so dark. So that excuse for not keeping the island open late is rather lame.

Yes! Big high wattage lights, just like in Mark Twain's day!

Cmdr_Crimson

You want to make that island lively? Make Aunt Polly's a Bar....
aunt_pollys_dockside_inn3.jpg

Smiley/OCD

Won't happen...lame or not lame

wannabeBelle

Yes, there have been proposals to dock the boat and turn it into a TSR

Yes, there have been proposals to bridge the river and build an attraction on the island

Yes, there are proposals to build a connector around the river

Be careful what you wish for. Frontierland has acres of expansion area west of the railroad. The island and river, although heavily reduced over the years, still offer thematic placement, immersion, kinetics and an escape to somewhere unique in the park. To reduce it further would be one step too far.
This. Marie

disney4life2008

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Looking at old pictures of Disneyland's original Frontierland, it looked and felt like you were really on the edge of the wild frontier. While Disneyland is really landlocked- WDW still has the ability to create the illusion of wilderness in the middle of most popular tourist attraction and heavily groomed theme park in the world. I don't want that sense of wilderness and pure imaginative exploration to go away. Kids need that now more than ever.

b95af0baf3e849d63b9d4b47e7d3d741--disneyland-pins-disneyland-vintage.jpg

Women in dresses. Men is slacks. Where are the flip flops and shorts? Haha

roj2323

Yeah, let's close off a big chunk of the island for another glorified wedding pavilion.
lol, no. The Island is typically closed after dusk anyway and nothing would need to change that guests would see other than perhaps some additional path lighting. The kitchen inside the "house" would need upgrades but that's relatively minor.

Ghost93

I'm sure Tom Sawyer island will be rethemed within 10 years. It's well-themed, but I feel like a gigantic portion of the people who visit Magic Kingdom never even check it out. Disney may want to move more people to the island if it gets too crowded. While Tom Sawyer is a classic book, I don't think today's children are that into it. I loved the book as a kid, but if I hadn't read the book Tom Sawyer's Island wouldn't resonate much with me.

Also, with Disney becoming more hypersensitive about anything that could be perceived as problematic (changes are being made to Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise, while Peter Pan/Country Bears/It's A Small World and Enchanted Tiki Room are being reviewed), I think Tom Sawyer — which is based off a book that repeatedly uses the N-word and has a villain named "Injun Joe" may be eventually viewed as a liability for Disney.

So if Disney wants to retheme it, potential ideas are:

1. Neverland (themed around Peter Pan, though with all references to the Indians removed). You can have Captain Hook's ship, the Skull Cave, Pixie Hollow, the Lost Boys hideout, the mermaid lagoon. Possibly an E-ticket dark ride or simulator could be added to the land.
2. Villain Island — a land where Disney villains reside. The idea is they've been banished from the rest of the Magic Kingdom, but are currently plotting their revenge. (could maybe connect the island to an expansion pad north of the Magic Kingdom if it proves popular).
3. Sleepy Hollow — a Headless Horseman ride could go here.
4. Moana's island.
5. A New Orleans-themed land. This could help with the Princess and the Frog retheme of Splash Mountain (which is adjacent to Tom Sawyer Island). PatF Mountain is out of Place in Frontierland, but if they remove a lot of the Frontier elements around the new Splash Mountain, it could maybe work.
6. Halloweentown (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
7. Zootopia (would fit better here than Animal Kingdom)
8. Kumandra — A Raya and the Last Dragon-themed land. Could be visually stunning.
9. San Fransokyo (Big Hero 6)
10. A Pirates of the Caribbean island (if the existing attraction isn't enough)
11. Hawaii (themed after Lilo and Sitch)
12. A Star Wars land (preferably one with a forested area like Endor or Kasshyk)
13. Agrabah, with a restaurant and an E-ticket Aladdin ride
14. Syndrome's Island (from The Incredibles)
15. Narnia (very unlikely since Disney ditched the series after Prince Caspian and Netflix has the rights to make a TV show, but would be a cool walkthrough)
16. A Fantasia-inspired land filled with mythical creatures from the Pastoral Symphony and Nutcracker segments. Big Thunder Mountain (which is near Tom Sawer's island) can be rethemed to Bald Mountain to accommodate this change.
17. Land of the Dead (Coco). While I think Coco belongs in Epcot, that may not happen if there is no room to expand the Mexican Pavillion.
18. The Hundred-Acre Wood. A Winnie-the-Pooh-themed area.
19. Wonderland, with a maze and meet-and-greet characters.
20. Relocate Swiss Family Robinson treehouse to Tom Sawyer Island, and make it a Swiss Family Robinson Island. It wouldn't generate much foot traffic to Tom Sawyer's Island, but it would free up some space in Adventureland for a new attraction with the treehouse out of the way.
21. Wakanda (unlikely and would only legally be an option in Disneyland, unless Florida is somehow able to reach an agreement with Universal Studios to use Black Panther in the Magic Kingdom).
22. Arendelle. Frozen has tons of representation in the parks, but surprisingly little in Magic Kingdom. Disney may want to give Frozen its own land.

Raxel7851

I propose, building a draw bridge over to the island. This will allow greater accessibility to the area. Also, with the current alligator activity in the region, a more comforting means of access.

I further propose, that the Liberty Square Riverboat (LSR) be converted to a quick service area remaining stationary during park hours.

Huh? There’s more than enough QS places to eat at the MK. The LSR is a nice way to enjoy a leisurely ride around that area of the park. Hey, I’m voting for bringing back the Swan Boats that used to go around the moat at Cinderella’s Castle!

Prince John

Also, with the current alligator activity in the region, a more comforting means of access.
If there is a gator strong enough, brave enough, and capable enough to have a successful go at that log raft full of tourists... I think all of Florida would have something new to worry about.

Sharon&Susan

Why not use the Adventureland or Frontierland expansion pads first if they want more IPs in Magic Kingdom, especially if those IPs have nothing to do with America's 19th century growth or even the United States (other than the movie its based off being made/produced in the USA)?

WEDfan9798

Why not use the Adventureland or Frontierland expansion pads first if they want more IPs in Magic Kingdom, especially if those IPs have nothing to do with America's 19th century growth or even the United States (other than the movie its based off being made/produced in the USA)?
It's stupid that they have a log ride set in the South in the middle of that part of Frontierland. It shouldn't be Song of the South nor Princess and the Frog. Disney is being dumb about this.

Sharon&Susan

It's stupid that they have a log ride set in the South in the middle of that part of Frontierland. It shouldn't be Song of the South nor Princess and the Frog. Disney is being dumb about this.
In an ideal world in my opinion, Splash Mountain would've replaced Mickey's Birthdayland (or at least the tents) once the big Mickey celebration was over. Walt Disney introduced Fantasyland by showing a segment of SOTS after all, would've fit just as well as Dumbo.

And of course PATF would work just as well in Fantasyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom