Tom Sawyer Island Makeover

DW Aficionado

Original Poster
As times change, so does Disney. Hollywood Studios is undergoing a dramatic conversion from the glamour of Hollywood to Pixar/Star Wars. Animal Kingdom is transforming from a dawn to dusk educational wildlife themed park to a nighttime extravaganza. The common thread being that change is inevitable.

Which brings me to my point…. Isn’t it time for MK to convert Tom Sawyer Island to something more current and interesting?

Viewed from Google Maps, the size of Tom Sawyer Island is approximately the same as the entire Frontierland. Valuable area inside a park that has limited space for expansion.

I propose, building a draw bridge over to the island. This will allow greater accessibility to the area. Also, with the current alligator activity in the region, a more comforting means of access.

I further propose, that the Liberty Square Riverboat (LSR) be converted to a quick service area remaining stationary during park hours.

Now that the logistics are worked out, what should Disney use all this untapped space for?

Nextinline

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Looking at old pictures of Disneyland's original Frontierland, it looked and felt like you were really on the edge of the wild frontier. While Disneyland is really landlocked- WDW still has the ability to create the illusion of wilderness in the middle of most popular tourist attraction and heavily groomed theme park in the world. I don't want that sense of wilderness and pure imaginative exploration to go away. Kids need that now more than ever.

b95af0baf3e849d63b9d4b47e7d3d741--disneyland-pins-disneyland-vintage.jpg

DisAl

STRONGLY disagree with this idea. :jawdrop:
Even though it is a "reproduction" just about everything except the boiler is historically accurate for a riverboat from the time period. Even the steam engine is authentic and actually propels the Liberty Belle. Except for a few most of the "steamboats" you see now are just motor driven boats with free wheeling fake paddlewheel hung on the back.
Next thing you know somebody will want to convert the railroad to a walking trail....

Raineman

I have to disagree with the OP on many points. TSI is a classic area of MK that shouldn't be changed, at least the active southern part of TSI. Adding more scenes for the riverboat would be a great idea (getting rid of a moving Liberty Belle is blasphemy, IMO). Also, the idea that MK has limited expansion space is not really accurate, either. Any expansion has to definitely be creative due to the railroad and show buildings being possible obstacles (see the plans for the new Tron coaster in TL), but a quick check with Google Maps shows a good amount of empty green spaces around the perimeter of MK.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As times change, so does Disney. Hollywood Studios is undergoing a dramatic conversion from the glamour of Hollywood to Pixar/Star Wars. Animal Kingdom is transforming from a dawn to dusk educational wildlife themed park to a nighttime extravaganza. The common thread being that change is inevitable.

Which brings me to my point…. Isn’t it time for MK to convert Tom Sawyer Island to something more current and interesting?

Viewed from Google Maps, the size of Tom Sawyer Island is approximately the same as the entire Frontierland. Valuable area inside a park that has limited space for expansion.

I propose, building a draw bridge over to the island. This will allow greater accessibility to the area. Also, with the current alligator activity in the region, a more comforting means of access.

I further propose, that the Liberty Square Riverboat (LSR) be converted to a quick service area remaining stationary during park hours.

Now that the logistics are worked out, what should Disney use all this untapped space for?
Don't you dare. The current island is more than interesting for those with more than a few brain cells and is fine the way it is albeit without the odd gas pipe.

Aside from that, the park does not have "limited space for expansion" - to the contrary Frontierland has some of the biggest areas designated for expansion.

EricsBiscuit

Hell no man! TSI is amazing and only requires a bit of imagination to make it the best attraction in FL. The Liberty Belle is one of the last few STEAM POWERED boats afloat! This thread should be deleted. Redoing TSI like they did at DL would suck complete ***!

JIMINYCR

Disney may in the distant future decide to utilize the area for something grander, but I hope not. It is a great place to wander through and have some escape from the massive crowds. Families with young kids still enjoy the themed sites. IF it does get changed, I doubt LSR would be discontinued and a draw bridge constructed. LSR is popular and removing the ride would leave a huge gap in guest entertainment. I'd hate to see us lose the meandering ride around the river, past the various sites and be used as a quick service spot.

wdwfan4ver

Tom Sawyer Island needs to be left alone. Tomorrowland needs more than Tron for fixing that land. I think Tomorrowland is the biggest problem area for MK. The other thing is The liberty Belle is one of my favorite MK attractions.

I want Frontierland for an expansion because using a plot of land without replacing something is a huge plus for a park that is known as Disney's most attended theme park worldwide. MK does need more attractions and I'm all for it even after the Tron Coaster.

Amidala

Why is anyone who suggests that a classic attraction should be changed immediately implied to be ~too stupid to appreciate it~? Different strokes for different people. I would definitely be very unhappy if the LSR converted to a quick service–especially when (IMO) Frontierland already has the best quick service area in the park with Pecos Bill. I'm not in any rush to replace TSI either, especially since (as people have mentioned) Tomorrowland seems to be the most in need of a theme update and new attractions. But if TDO announced an ambitious enough plan to at the very least update and overhaul TSI, I wouldn't mind–and before anyone jumps in, I have plenty of happy childhood memories from TSI.

An actual replacement is a more complicated issue, and I do tend to lean "no," at least for now. With all of these changes coming to the parks, I think there's a reason MK is only getting one attraction (although it's an E-Ticket) and the new theater...TDO is trying to update Epcot and DHS to broaden their appeal. Guests will always visit and enjoy MK, so it doesn't really need any help attracting them. A completely new, immersive area for TSI (which as you've mentioned, is a lot of space to work with) would definitely be an undertaking...but maybe one for another time. If anything, I would prefer MK to focus on Tomorrowland (it's going to need more than just Tron) and even giving Adventureland some TLC–an import of Shanghai's PotC would be incredible (Disneyland has the original anyway, and it's universally thought to be better) or a new attraction in general (I have my doubts that the Jungle Cruise makeover will be as thorough as they're making it sound).

Fine for now w/ TSI as a getaway for guests while TDO focuses on upbuilding the mainland of MK. But I would say I'm not as opposed to a change here as a lot of people seem to be.

elcheapo

Knowing how TDO works and how money hungry they've become but they might make a DVC resort on the island

NeedMoreMickey

I like TSI but I also like the idea of a bridge and parking the boat. It seems to be an attraction that is down almost every trip lately. If you want to get crazy add a zip line from Swiss Family to TSI.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, there have been proposals to dock the boat and turn it into a TSR

Yes, there have been proposals to bridge the river and build an attraction on the island

Yes, there are proposals to build a connector around the river

Be careful what you wish for. Frontierland has acres of expansion area west of the railroad. The island and river, although heavily reduced over the years, still offer thematic placement, immersion, kinetics and an escape to somewhere unique in the park. To reduce it further would be one step too far.

BigDave

TSI is one of the last places where kids can run wild and explore. So important for them and parents. Taking young kids to WDW and asking them to stand in line from line, smile for the picture, another line, crowds, get back in the stroller, etc takes a lot of young families. Here, kids can run around in nature, explore caves, the fort, and of course...the bouncy barrel bridge. It's also a great place for parents to sit and relax taking turns without all the packed crowds.

Would like them to bring back Aunt Pollys, paintbrushes, and maybe some new experiences.

KraftServices

Maybe Frozen 2 has an island in it so they can retheme TSI to be Frozen-themed!

I'd be okay with a bridge somewhere to the island, because the rafts make me nervous (not because of alligators).

Although I'm also terrified of foot bridges that go over water, especially draw bridges, so that wouldn't work.

21stamps

TSI is one of the last places where kids can run wild and explore. So important for them and parents. Taking young kids to WDW and asking them to stand in line from line, smile for the picture, another line, crowds, get back in the stroller, etc takes a lot of young families. Here, kids can run around in nature, explore caves, the fort, and of course...the bouncy barrel bridge. It's also a great place for parents to sit and relax taking turns without all the packed crowds.

Would like them to bring back Aunt Pollys, paintbrushes, and maybe some new experiences.

Agree. I could care less about Maelstrom turning to Frozen.. but TSI and the Treehouse are much needed imo. We still have the capacity to use imagination, on our own, in a wonderful setting.. both of these attractions make this possible. We all still need that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom