tokyo governer insults mickey

I'm irritated yet slightly amused by the fact that a post about some jerk bashing Mickey Mouse for no good reason has turned into a full-out attack on how "crappy" Japanese animation is.

As a future animator attending an art school, I can safely say that anime is far from a "fad." It's definitely amassed a large cult following among people. I agree that anime as a whole shouldn't be judged by the mainstream animes that a majority of Americans have been exposed to (DBZ, Pokemon...etc.)

I think its a little unfair to bash an entire genre of animation just because the governor of Tokyo said he hates Mickey Mouse. Yes it was uncalled for and unnecessary. But thats no reason to stoop to the same level on the side of Disney. Just because Japanese animation looks "crappy" (the actual animation term is "limited animation"), it doesn't mean you should dismiss it as inferior. Miyazaki's films especially, in addition to being visually well done in terms of anime, it also has an intriguing story, setting and characters as well. And in my opinion, it should be considered on the same level as, but not necessarily better than Disney feature films. If some of you skeptics took the time to actually watch a good anime, you might find it entertaining, which is how animation should be judged, by entertainment value, not appearance. Granted it appeals to a select audience at times and is not for everybody, which is understandable.

I personally love both Disney and anime, for their own respctive reasons. And I'm not saying you have to like it, but at least give it some respect.

Sorry for the rant, its been a long day :dazzle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom