tokyo governer insults mickey

Mr.Pickles

Account Suspended
Mr.Pickles really likes disney animation. With that being said Mr.Pickles would like people to view the anime Akira and then compare that to the best Disney has to offer. Akiria was made 3 years before Beauty and the beast and just puts it to shame animation wise. The story is not as good, but Mr.Pickles hates to admit it but the best Japanimation is several years ahead of Disneys best.

Shaman

Mr.Pickles said:
Mr.Pickles really likes disney animation. With that being said Mr.Pickles would like people to view the anime Akira and then compare that to the best Disney has to offer. Akiria was made 3 years before Beauty and the beast and just puts it to shame animation wise. The story is not as good, but Mr.Pickles hates to admit it but the best Japanimation is several years ahead of Disneys best.

Oz thinks Mr. Pickles is an interesting fellow....a very familiar fellow at that...

:drevil:

Sledge

Account Suspended
Tahu said:
So you are saying by extension that animation is just live action but cheaper right? That's just sad..
No, animation is great. Anime just plain sucks. I would hardly consider anime as animation. It's pretty much just crappy smut that's been drawn. ;)

S.E.A.

anime wouldn't exist if it weren't for disney. Astro Boy, the first anime ever was created after the creator was inspired by Bambi.

The only reason anime manages to stay so detailed is because it sacrifices actual animation for the sake of detail hence letting characters stay stiff and having to rely on camera tricks and movement to create the illusion of progression, where as traditional disney animation actually uses movement to truly animate something.

And I disagree about japanese animation being years ahead of Disney. There is a reason why some of the most important films in history are part of the disney animated canon and only 1 or 2 of them are japanese anime.

I believe both styles could greatly learn from each other and make each other better. But whe you look at the grander side of things and equate in story and over-all experience, the movies of the Disney canon are far superior over the distinctly repetetive and rather unnapealing stories of what most of japanese anime poseses.

Shaman

CGI is where it's at...forget everything else....:lookaroun

I don't see one as better than the other...they're both different, and each caters to a different audience.

:)

EpcotServo

Chicken Little. Nuff' said. old Disney animation was better, but now Anime is much much better. It seems to me most Anime you people have seen is Dragonball Z or one of those other stupid shows.

S.E.A.

EpcotServo said:
Chicken Little. Nuff' said. old Disney animation was better, but now Anime is much much better. It seems to me most Anime you people have seen is Dragonball Z or one of those other stupid shows.

I don't know, i find the anime nowadays are a little too exaggerated and not in a good way and alot of it is lost in translation too, the classic anime's are the ones worth looking into, the ones of today are a just lot of the same and are realy kind of pointless and boring.

a lot of them strive to be too edgy and cool without any real substance.

anime will never have a "Beauty and the Beast" or a "Pinochio".

and the conventional overexageration of characters hardly evoke the emotional resonance garnered from even the least impresive of classic disney movies and classic Ghibli productions.

On the other hand, Disney is never brave enough to reach the heights that the greatest of anime films has and really speak to a mature audience. Disney will never make a "Grave of the Fireflies" or an "Akira".

Pixar and Ghibli are the only two worthwhile pilars of animation in the industry nowadays. Both studios are reminiscent of what Disney used to be during its golden ages.

however while anime has been able to create such terrific imagery on film, most of them sacrifice all the other elements like music, cinematography, character development and over-all story. Elements which throught eh years have been masterfully balanced by the Disney of old. So in the sense of over-all storytelling and film mkaing, Disney is still above and beyond anime.

comics101

Mr.Pickles said:

Japination is cheap. It looks Cheap, and looks nothing like real people.

comics101

S.E.A. said:
I don't know, i find the anime nowadays are a little too exaggerated and not in a good way and alot of it is lost in translation too, the classic anime's are the ones worth looking into, the ones of today are a just lot of the same and are realy kind of pointless and boring.

a lot of them strive to be too edgy and cool without any real substance.

anime will never have a "Beauty and the Beast" or a "Pinochio".

and the conventional overexageration of characters hardly evoke the emotional resonance garnered from even the least impresive of classic disney movies and classic Ghibli productions.

On the other hand, Disney is never brave enough to reach the heights that the greatest of anime films has and really speak to a mature audience. Disney will never make a "Grave of the Fireflies" or an "Akira".

Pixar and Ghibli are the only two worthwhile pilars of animation in the industry nowadays. Both studios are reminiscent of what Disney used to be during its golden ages.

however while anime has been able to create such terrific imagery on film, most of them sacrifice all the other elements like music, cinematography, character development and over-all story. Elements which throught eh years have been masterfully balanced by the Disney of old. So in the sense of over-all storytelling and film mkaing, Disney is still above and beyond anime.

AMEN!

I think a lot of people assume that Anime is all big eyed, big boobed, Pokemon looking, Dragonball Z choppiness that is all over television. Believe it or not, there is so much more to Anime, only the goofiest, cutest looking things make it television...why? Because their is a kid audience and that will eat it up.

Please don't assume that all Anime is like that. I personally see Dragonball Z as a terrible spokesperson (spokes-show) for Anime. The animation and art in general is horrendous. Most of what you see on TV or sitting around the video stores is a lot of low end stuff....it's the high end stuff that you have to search for and believe me, when you find it...it's absolutely amazing. The stories are high intellectual and amazing. The animation generally follows suit. I'm a huge fan of the early to mid-80's Robotech television show and my favorite episodes are the episodes with very little fighting and a ton of character interaction. Most american based animation does not focus of character interaction, especially not in the television animation department.

I for one love Spirited Away...it has an amazing story, which is why it won the Best Picture Award that year. It animation was so-so, I'd seen better, but it had such a strong intellectual story which is what really won me over. American based films just do not focus that heavily on story...and the ones that do, are not as focused as the high end Anime.

Another thing you should remember that movies like Spirited Away and Akira were all original ideas - not rescripted fairy tales. I love Beauty and the Beast and it's one of the films that made me go to school for animation after high school, but when you compare consistency of artwork in it against almost any Anime based movie (like Akira or Spirited Away) it fails. Belle especially is drawn in at least 4 different drawing styles. I'll break it down - Belle in the beginning of the movie, Belle being chased by wolves after leaving the castle, Belle cleaning the Beasts wounds (the best looking one in my opinion), Belle walking down the hallway in the west wing, Belle during the transformation scene. All of these Belles have significant style changes and that is a major no-no in the animation world. You don't see that kind of change in most Anime films.

One of my biggest problems with Anime is that there is a lot of crap out there and it's sometimes difficult to find. Also, the humor is different - a lot of the Japanese humor doesn't come across well in America (and the same is said of ours to them). As for the comment concerning the mouths not matching the words.....they don't make the films to accomodate the English language...they don't speak English as their first language - they speak Japanese and the mouth positions match the Japanese language - when they dub it over to English, that's when it looks like a silly Godzilla movie. To be honest tho', most american (Disney and otherwise) cartoons do a mediocre job (at best) with lip sync. The best example is during the beginning of the magic carpet ride in Aladdin - turn the sound off or watch it in a foreign language and you'll be blown away....I know I was.

They also deal with more adult themes...something that in American culture is a huge "Do Not Go There". The culture difference is really the main issue in this debate...we don't understand them and they don't understand us.

Mr.Pickles

Account Suspended
comics101 said:
Japination is cheap. It looks Cheap, and looks nothing like real people.

What Mr.Pickles wants you to think about, is that Disney animation,(when they DID actually do animation), is the best the United States has to offer bar none. But you can look at some of the median quality anime and find the quality superior, like for instance Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in a shell...what Mr.Pickles is beginning to see is that personal taste accounts for alot in this genre.

I don't know that I'd agree that Disney is the best that North America has to offer in animation, they are are one of our high end studios...but that leaves out Iron Giant, Prince of Egypt, Cats Don't Dance, Ice Age 2 (which has just made $80.2 million in it's opening weekend), Corpse Bride (absolutely hilarious stuff going on the background - this film was better than I expected), Wallace & Gromit.

Disney does some of the best American based animation, but they aren't the only ones.......

Also, I've noticed a lot of people talking about realism is Disney animation and tho' it has qualities of reality...when was the last time you saw a talking Mermaid with really big eyes? Dogs, cats or other random animals that talk? (Which also have highly exageratted eyes) A Beast that lives in a castle? (Well, I suppose this could be argued in other parts of the world.)

The one thing that both Anime and Disney have in common is that, believe it or not, they both deal in fantasy. Disney fans see Disney animation as realistic, but it actually is just as unreal as Anime due to the fact that it revolves in a fantasy world. The animators that I admire most do their hardest to make the motion believeable, make it human like but if you look outside of the all encompassing Disney towards actually more-realistic animation you'll find yourself caught up in a world of cartoons that have strong social messages.

I've seen a short cartoon that deals with a Jamaican (sp?) womans life after her husband is killed by drug dealers. She wonders what will happen to her daughter now and herself. The drug kingpin fellow brings them to him. They don't live in nice castles or houses or spaceships or futurisitic environments...they live in the ghetto and it's not very pretty. Her house is in disrepair, her clothes are not the best and it deals with a very strong "drug-use" storyline. It was a powerful piece and I remember sitting there when it was over just staring at my computer screen...thinking "Wow". I myself really dislike politically based cartoons and in general, cartoons with a message - but this one and 3 others I've seen just blow me away. They are so much more realistic that it's scary when you watch them.

Note: I do love Disney animation with my whole heart and they are tops in my book as well, but please don't exclude other quality animation because it isn't Disney.....there's a whole other world out there....you should check it out......you won't be dissapointed (most of the time).:D

comics101

Mr.Pickles said:
What Mr.Pickles wants you to think about, is that Disney animation,(when they DID actually do animation), is the best the United States has to offer bar none. But you can look at some of the median quality anime and find the quality superior, like for instance Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in a shell...what Mr.Pickles is beginning to see is that personal taste accounts for alot in this genre.

i'm not a fan of cowboy bebop either. Th

comics101

clarksfan95 said:
I don't know that I'd agree that Disney is the best that North America has to offer in animation, they are are one of our high end studios...but that leaves out Iron Giant, Prince of Egypt, Cats Don't Dance, Ice Age 2 (which has just made $80.2 million in it's opening weekend), Corpse Bride (absolutely hilarious stuff going on the background - this film was better than I expected), Wallace & Gromit.

Disney does some of the best American based animation, but they aren't the only ones.......

Also, I've noticed a lot of people talking about realism is Disney animation and tho' it has qualities of reality...when was the last time you saw a talking Mermaid with really big eyes? Dogs, cats or other random animals that talk? (Which also have highly exageratted eyes) A Beast that lives in a castle? (Well, I suppose this could be argued in other parts of the world.)

The one thing that both Anime and Disney have in common is that, believe it or not, they both deal in fantasy. Disney fans see Disney animation as realistic, but it actually is just as unreal as Anime due to the fact that it revolves in a fantasy world. The animators that I admire most do their hardest to make the motion believeable, make it human like but if you look outside of the all encompassing Disney towards actually more-realistic animation you'll find yourself caught up in a world of cartoons that have strong social messages.

I've seen a short cartoon that deals with a Jamaican (sp?) womans life after her husband is killed by drug dealers. She wonders what will happen to her daughter now and herself. The drug kingpin fellow brings them to him. They don't live in nice castles or houses or spaceships or futurisitic environments...they live in the ghetto and it's not very pretty. Her house is in disrepair, her clothes are not the best and it deals with a very strong "drug-use" storyline. It was a powerful piece and I remember sitting there when it was over just staring at my computer screen...thinking "Wow". I myself really dislike politically based cartoons and in general, cartoons with a message - but this one and 3 others I've seen just blow me away. They are so much more realistic that it's scary when you watch them.

Note: I do love Disney animation with my whole heart and they are tops in my book as well, but please don't exclude other quality animation because it isn't Disney.....there's a whole other world out there....you should check it out......you won't be dissapointed (most of the time).:D

i'm not saying disney is the best, I think JLU and Bruce Timm's artwork is some of the best andimation ever, if not the best! I feel sometimes it's far supierer(sp?) to disney. Don't get me wrong, I still love Disney is the best.You'll proboly argue that they wuse some japination in their work, but it's not all japination. Maybe that's why it appeals(sp?)to me. I think Mr. Pickles is right, we all have different tastes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom