tokyo governer insults mickey

joshwill

Original Poster
this from upi:

Mickey Mouse denounced at Tokyo anime fair

Apr. 2, 2006 at 8:17AM

Tokyo's governor has condemned Mickey Mouse as inferior to Japanese anime, the highly detailed cartoons that feature busty girls with big blue eyes.
Shintaro Ishihara made the remark while opening the Tokyo International Anime Fair on Saturday, which saw tens of thousands of fans strolling aisles packed with anime books, art, posters and a myriad of other souvenirs.
"I hate Mickey Mouse," Ishihara said. "He has nothing like the unique sensibility that Japan has. The Japanese are inherently skilled at visual expression and detailed work."
Among awards given out, Dai Sato won best screenplay for "Eureka seveN," which chronicles the adventures of a teenage boy, a pilot girl named Eureka and a traveling group of mercenaries, The New York Times reported.

DopeyJas2004

well maybe they should pull out the thousands of jobs created by tokyo disneyland!:fork: i hate that freaky crap anyway give me good ol' steamboat willie ANYDAY!!!!!!:sohappy:

clarkstallings

I've never thought of anime as being detailed. I've always thought of it has pale and jerky in motion and rather simple. Look at American, particularly Disney animation. It's beautiful. Think about that opening shot in Beauty and the Beast that goes through the woods to the castle or some of the shots in Peter Pan or Snow White. This guy's a lunatic. I mean he can prefer one over the other. That's fine. But when it comes to shear complexity? I think he's got it backwards.

ballewclan

Okay when was Mickey Mouse created? A LONG time ago, he is a symbol, they cant just change him because they're are better ways of drawing him.

Anime characters can be changed and altered because alot of people know they can be improved and while they may be visually stunning, they just dont provide the feeling when you see a cartoon like steam boat willie or mickey mouse walking down main street.

He's comparing apples to oranges. You cant compare a symbolic mouse to a character in a movie or a book. Mickey represents an idea, and anime is not better or worse in my eyes.

Gosh this makes me mad. :mad: Oh well its his biased opinion! :D

Plus does anyone else feel like he's taking a shot at an American symbol and subtly saying that we arent skilled at visual expression and detailed work?

WDWKat26

What's he all peeved about? Oh that's right, Mickey's mouth actually moves with the words that are spoken and it doesn't look like a bad choppy japanese translated into english movie.

He needs to get off his high horse and realize that not every cartoon out there resembles Japanimation.

joshwill

Original Poster
clarkstallings said:
I've never thought of anime as being detailed. I've always thought of it has pale and jerky in motion and rather simple. Look at American, particularly Disney animation. It's beautiful. Think about that opening shot in Beauty and the Beast that goes through the woods to the castle or some of the shots in Peter Pan or Snow White. This guy's a lunatic. I mean he can prefer one over the other. That's fine. But when it comes to shear complexity? I think he's got it backwards.

not to defend what the man said, but not all anime is like that. take a look and anything by Hayao Miyazaki and you will be amazed.

Connor002

Politicians will say what is need...
He was at a Japanese anime convention, of course he's going to promote the Japanese produced anime, because, well, it's what's expected of him.

Did he need to insult Mickey? No, of course not. In fact, I'd go so far as to say most Disney animation is far superior to any anime I've seen, but that doesn't erase that fact that he's a politician, and was just trying to please is bases. Honestly, he probably doesn't and will never care about upsetting a few Disney fanboys.

Anime has a "trendy" following, it is this generations Dungeons & Dragons, Garbage Pail Kids or Pokemon. Most of its real followers are a younger set who find it interesting for now. Talk to me about it in a few years. We will all have to google it to figure out what it was!!!

Skippy

joshwill said:
not to defend what the man said, but not all anime is like that. take a look and anything by Hayao Miyazaki and you will be amazed.

exactly what i was going to say. love his movies, the animation in them is really amazing. but so is the animation in disney animation. different styles. whatever. however, i have been in a slump the past few days being saddened that disney isn't really animating anymore...

FigmentJedi

Anime isn't a different beast from animation. I hate it when people typecast anime as the crappier stuff that's so mainstream like Yu-Gi-Oh or Dragonball Z and think that's all what anime is.

imagineer boy

Well, atleast Micky moves better than any anime cartoon. Sure, anime looks good, but the movements are very unrealistic. Even if it weren't Mickey Mouse, its still very bad form to openly bash another person's work.

Connor002

CoffeeJedi said:
Are all you people daft? What date was yesterday, April first? Come on, think before you post.

An April Fool's joke on the day after is just rude, and if that is the case the person in question should be given a severe reprimand.

comics101

Japanation is a piece of crap, not to offend anyone. I don't know how anyone could even think of it as detailed! let alone better than Mickey.

comics101

joshwill said:

I've seen his movies too and i think that Justice League Unlimited is better than his stuff, and on't get me started on how much better Disney's stuff is!

joshwill

Original Poster
comics101 said:
Japanation is a piece of crap, not to offend anyone. I don't know how anyone could even think of it as detailed! let alone better than Mickey.

watch spirited away and then get back to me.

Sledge

Account Suspended
I HATE anime. To me it isn't really a cartoon. To me all anime just seems like a cheap way to do a special effects movie/tv show instead of hiring actors and having to blow up cars and such. It's also probably a lot cheaper to hire animators to draw people having ______ rather than hiring people to get it on in front of the camera too. :lookaroun :zipit:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom