Tokyo Disneyland set for $4.6 billion expansion

dgp602

Original Poster
I saw this in the Boston Herald, but it was sourced by Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media. Here is the link to the short article:
http://www.bostonherald.com/enterta...tokyo_disneyland_set_for_46_billion_expansion

I'm not exactly sure why this peaked my interest the way it did, since the chance of me actually visiting Tokyo is a long shot. I think maybe because at my favorite park, TDO is constantly looking to cut their budget and trim where they can. And maybe it's because when TDO finally does decide to spend money, like is appears they will at DHS, it's because neglect and mismanagement force their hand, whereas Tokyo seems to be taking a more proactive approach. In Tokyo, they realized they need to expand because their parks are so successful, they are constantly at capacity. TDO, on the other hand, finally realized that DHS is themed so poorly, they had to finally do something to prevent the park from becoming irrelevant. The same with Disney Springs. They were forced to spend money and re-theme because Pleasure Island had become a ghost town ( thank you Uni Citywalk ), not because it was so successful it needed to be expanded. And when they finally do begin to pour money into EPCOT, it will be for the same reason as DHS...sigh...:grumpy:

MaxW

this is awesome. The level of creativity and originality in Tokyo is astounding. I truly hope to visit one day, as those rides are fantastic in video and probably better in person.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Who cares about $4.5 billion expansion? We are getting Big Hero 6 Magic Bands, now that is something to get excited about!!

I guess that nothing else that is going on at Walt Disney World is okay with you. I think that we are already seeing over a $1 billion in construction now underway and everyone thinks a major upgrade to Hollywood Studios we be publicly release very soon. As more information becomes public about the improvements coming to Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs, I think Disney is starting to turn things around. I for one am excited about what I see so far. I would not be surprised if the total spend at Walt Disney World over the ten years starting with the expansion of Fantasyland will exceed several billion dollars.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I guess that nothing else that is going on at Walt Disney World is okay with you. I think that we are already seeing over a $1 billion in construction now underway and everyone thinks a major upgrade to Hollywood Studios we be publicly release very soon. As more information becomes public about the improvements coming to Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs, I think Disney is starting to turn things around. I for one am excited about what I see so far. I would not be surprised if the total spend at Walt Disney World over the ten years starting with the expansion of Fantasyland will exceed several billion dollars.

Sarcasm is lost on some people.

dgp602

Original Poster
You are right, TDO is starting to spend money. No one can dispute that. The point I was trying to make was in the difference as to why Tokyo is spending and why TDO is spending. See, Tokyo is spending 4.5 billion because they know that their product is so good and so well maintained, that their attendance dictates that they have to do something before the parks and rides get stale and over used. TDO let a park like DHS get to the point where is was becoming so irrelevant and so unfocused, they had to finally do something....And AK has had the rap of being a half day park with no rides almost from the time it first opened ( remember, EE was built years after it opened ). So that park demanded attention as well. I just wish TDO has a capital improvement plan where every year they maintained the rides they have to as close to opening day condition as they could, why providing continued growth. It seems TDO does these 3 years spending bursts every 10 years or so ( hello Michael Eisner ).

ParentsOf4

I guess that nothing else that is going on at Walt Disney World is okay with you. I think that we are already seeing over a $1 billion in construction now underway and everyone thinks a major upgrade to Hollywood Studios we be publicly release very soon.
You are right, TDO is starting to spend money. No one can dispute that.
I read Disney's quarterly statements and can dispute that Disney is spending money.

Before Bob Iger took charge in 2005, Disney's Parks & Resorts domestic capex averaged 22.3%. In 2013, it was 10.0%.

For the first 9 months of the current fiscal year, domestic Parks & Resorts capex is at 8.8%, the third lowest since WDW opened in 1971.

Please don't confuse plans to spend money with actually spending money. :)

dgp602

Original Poster
I read Disney's quarterly statements and can dispute that Disney is spending money.

Before Bob Iger took charge in 2005, Disney's Parks & Resorts domestic capex averaged 22.3%. In 2013, it was 10.0%.

For the first 9 months of the current fiscal year, domestic Parks & Resorts capex is at 8.8%, the third lowest since WDW opened in 1971.

Please don't confuse plans to spend money with actually spending money. :)
Excellent research....I guess the condition of the parks and rides are a reflection of this..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom