Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

BrianLo

Given how close it is to the Sheraton and Hilton, I don't see the point of staying at Toy Story unless it includes perks like Happy 15 and park hopper tickets from day 1.

I don't see the point in staying at Disney hotels in general with how they are priced. The "perks" are just psychological. You wouldn't pay 200% (often hundreds of dollars a day in markup) for 15 minutes of early access or park hopping.

Probably a 20-30$ value.

That said Toy Story hotel at Shanghai is the only Disney hotel I've ever encountered that was reasonably priced... so who knows.

This is another discussion entirely I've been wanting to have outside this thread though!

Disneylover152

I don't see the point in staying at Disney hotels in general with how they are priced. The "perks" are just psychological. You wouldn't pay 200% (often hundreds of dollars a day in markup) for 15 minutes of early access or park hopping.

Probably a 20-30$ value.

That said Toy Story hotel at Shanghai is the only Disney hotel I've ever encountered that was reasonably priced... so who knows.

This is another discussion entirely I've been wanting to have outside this thread though!
The Paris hotels are pretty reasonably priced. A family of 5 can go to Disneyland Paris for 4 days for under $2000, tickets included.

Also I'm pretty sure if you get a vacation package to Tokyo Disneyland you get anytime fastpasses but I'm not 100% sure.

PiratesMansion

The Paris hotels are pretty reasonably priced. A family of 5 can go to Disneyland Paris for 4 days for under $2000, tickets included.

Also I'm pretty sure if you get a vacation package to Tokyo Disneyland you get anytime fastpasses but I'm not 100% sure.
Maybe recently, but historically that has NOT been the reputation of the Paris hotels.

They certainly seemed exhorbitantly overpriced to me when I looked at them five years ago.

And before Disney started touching the place up after they bought it, I don't know that they EVER received room refurbishments.

RE: Tokyo vacation passes, I think it depends on what package you buy, but vacation packages aren't the default. At any rate, I don't understand the logic for staying at the TDR Disney hotels when you basically get the exact same perks at the Official Hotels EXCEPT for fifteen extra minutes and the ability to buy parkhopper-every-day tickets. Don't get me wrong, the Disney hotels there are beautiful, but you can still visit, eat, and shop in them without paying the exhorbitant cost of a bed there.

While I don't deny the convenience those extra FPs would bring, I have yet to struggle to get a FP I wanted at TDR, and I've gone on weekends multiple times! You just need a plan.

I get MiraCosta with a harbor view if it's a bucket list trip and you are 1000% convinced you will never, ever come back...but you could also stay at the Hilton on the monorail for $130/night. So given that knowledge, and how insanely competitive it is to get a reservation at a time that is not at all convenient for most Americans, why would you stay in the Disney hotels? Staying at an official hotel will also make it easier to afford a second trip!

Last edited:

Robbiem

Maybe recently, but historically that has NOT been the reputation of the Paris hotels.

They certainly seemed exhorbitantly overpriced to me when I looked at them five years ago.

And before Disney started touching the place up after they bought it, I don't know that they EVER recevied room refurbishments.

RE: Tokyo vacation passes, I think it depends on what package you buy, but vacation packages aren't the default. At any rate, I don't understand the logic for staying at the TDR Disney hotels when you basically get the exact same perks at the Official Hotels EXCEPT for fifteen extra minutes and the ability to buy parkhopper-every-day tickets. Don't get me wrong, the Disney hotels there are beautiful, but you can still visit, eat, and shop in them without paying the exhorbitant cost of a bed there.

While I don't deny the convenience those extra FPs would bring, I have yet to struggle to get a FP I wanted at TDR, and I've gone on weekends multiple times! You just need a plan.

I get MiraCosta with a harbor view if it's a bucket list trip and you are 1000% convinced you will never, ever come back...but you could also stay at the Hilton on the monorail for $130/night. So why would you? It'll also make it easier to afford a second trip!
Completely agree. DLP hotels are very expensive and recently the prices have gone up a lot while things like the free breakfast have been removed. For a budget stay choose one of the hotels in val d’europe which is one RER stop of a bus ride from the parks with the added advantage of a large shopping centre.
for tokyo yes stay at the Hilton, Sheraton or other official hotel and its like staying at a monorail resort in WDW, for budget the dreamgate at the train station is walking distance to Tokyo Disneyland, save the money saved from the miracosta or Tokyo Disneyland hotel and use it to expore more of japan or to stay longer or,come back. there is plenty to do in each park to not have to hop. I’ve never park hopped in Tokyo and always have a great day

fradz

I always finish my Japan trip by TDR. Taking the shinkansen or local trains from wherever I was before, check in at my hotel, spend the first afternoon at TDS then 1 day a TDL and finish by TDS again. It feels right to finish a trip in one of my favorite countries by the most beautiful park in the world. Never even considered park hopping with that plan in mind.

I did official hotels, partner hotels, and just... hotels closeby. I actually am not a big fan of the official hotels in Tokyo. The added value is just not that much for the pricetag. I plan to take the lady there, and for her first trip I'll splurge, but that's the exception. I doubt the new hotel will be for us, as magnificient as it might be, I'll probably be more tempted to be staying in a Mediterranean Harbor setting than in a "Fantasy Springs" hotel. Time will tell.

For comparison, Paris is a 2.5hr drive for me, and even then I've stayed more often at Disney hotels for that sweet sweet EMH (or at hotels where I got points to redeem :p ) Don't get me started on WDW because I can't imagine planning a trip at a non-Disney there... It's already a mess enough while staying on property.

PiratesMansion

I always finish my Japan trip by TDR. Taking the shinkansen or local trains from wherever I was before, check in at my hotel, spend the first afternoon at TDS then 1 day a TDL and finish by TDS again. It feels right to finish a trip in one of my favorite countries by the most beautiful park in the world. Never even considered park hopping with that plan in mind.

I did official hotels, partner hotels, and just... hotels closeby. I actually am not a big fan of the official hotels in Tokyo. The added value is just not that much for the pricetag. I plan to take the lady there, and for her first trip I'll splurge, but that's the exception. I doubt the new hotel will be for us, as magnificient as it might be, I'll probably be more tempted to be staying in a Mediterranean Harbor setting than in a "Fantasy Springs" hotel. Time will tell.

For comparison, Paris is a 2.5hr drive for me, and even then I've stayed more often at Disney hotels for that sweet sweet EMH (or at hotels where I got points to redeem :p ) Don't get me started on WDW because I can't imagine planning a trip at a non-Disney there... It's already a mess enough while staying on property.
Just out of curiousity, where is your optimal place to stay for TDR? My last trip I split between the Sheraton and the Hilton, and I have to say that other than having free breakfast the Hilton, other than the price, wasn't that great.

I'd stay at both of them again just because of the convenience and relative affordability, because my previous trip I was having to commute an hour on the metro every day. But if there's something that works better, I'd be all ears.

As for WDW, I think the need for an on-property hotel is vastly overstated. I'm not saying I got no benefit from ASM when I went last-it was helpful for FP+, and for EMH the one time we went (when Pandora had just opened and the nighttime experience was hyped to high heaven and MK night EMH was dead as a result). My friend also benefitted when he lost his keys and could rely on the buses to get around.

But I've also stayed nearby off property, saved a heck of a lot of money, and been just fine. I certainly can't say the ASM room was worth what I was paying for it, especially now that you have to add a parking fee on top of the room rate.

Animaniac93-98

DLP package prices can vary dramatically based on when you book, how many days, or for what time of year.

Prior to Disney taking full control, the best deal was the early booking offer for 2 nights free if you chose 4 nights or more. For a 4 night stay, that meant getting the equivalent of 50% off. Now the best deals are still had by booking the better part of a year ahead, but they'll substitute free meals and gift cards instead of giving more than 25% off the whole package. Again, the longer the stay, the bigger the savings. Also common for them to say kids under a certain age free as well.

DLP also charges much more for "summer" stays (April-October) than "winter" ones (Nov-March). They know most people only want 2 nights at most, and go when the weather is warm so that's why they charge the most for those kinds of stays. The packages are also a poor value for solo travelers, as often the difference in price between 1 and 2 adults is quite minimal.

Best rates? Winter stay, 4 nights or more, booked 10 months or more out.

Worst rates? 1-2 nights, trying to get a room for August in July.

fradz

Just out of curiousity, where is your optimal place to stay for TDR? My last trip I split between the Sheraton and the Hilton, and I have to say that other than having free breakfast the Hilton, other than the price, wasn't that great.

I'd stay at both of them again just because of the convenience and relative affordability, because my previous trip I was having to commute an hour on the metro every day. But if there's something that works better, I'd be all ears.

As for WDW, I think the need for an on-property hotel is vastly overstated. I'm not saying I got no benefit from ASM when I went last-it was helpful for FP+, and for EMH the one time we went (when Pandora had just opened and the nighttime experience was hyped to high heaven and MK night EMH was dead as a result). My friend also benefitted when he lost his keys and could rely on the buses to get around.

But I've also stayed nearby off property, saved a heck of a lot of money, and been just fine. I certainly can't say the ASM room was worth what I was paying for it, especially now that you have to add a parking fee on top of the room rate.

Then you'll have to give me advice for WDW!

How have you commuted for an hour?? The furthest I've been was in Odaiba, which was 30min away but that was just for one night while transiting out.
From the "banana of hotels" on site: I prefer the Sheraton over the Hilton but they're about the same. I tried the Grand Nikko Tokyo Bay as it's on the cheaper side; and it was a mess, full of rude chinese invading the buffet and it felt understaffed.
Last year, I actually went on a big solo trip through Japan and at the end stayed in Hotel Mystays Maihama, which is a 15min walk from DisneySea or a 10min busride from Disneyland (I walked back because I wanted to relax). It was cheap but pretty quiet. Breakfast nothing special but not awful. You don't have to depend on any transportation if you don't want to, just your pair of legs. I think it's the best value option.
And as I said, I don't particularly recommend the Disney hotels. MiraCosta is still on my to-do list though, which I'll try with the lady.

Robbiem

I always end my Japanese vacations in Tokyo disney. It always feels like a vacation within a vacation 😀✌️

PiratesMansion

Then you'll have to give me advice for WDW!

How have you commuted for an hour?? The furthest I've been was in Odaiba, which was 30min away but that was just for one night while transiting out.
From the "banana of hotels" on site: I prefer the Sheraton over the Hilton but they're about the same. I tried the Grand Nikko Tokyo Bay as it's on the cheaper side; and it was a mess, full of rude chinese invading the buffet and it felt understaffed.
Last year, I actually went on a big solo trip through Japan and at the end stayed in Hotel Mystays Maihama, which is a 15min walk from DisneySea or a 10min busride from Disneyland (I walked back because I wanted to relax). It was cheap but pretty quiet. Breakfast nothing special but not awful. You don't have to depend on any transportation if you don't want to, just your pair of legs. I think it's the best value option.
And as I said, I don't particularly recommend the Disney hotels. MiraCosta is still on my to-do list though, which I'll try with the lady.
The hour long commute was on my first trip, when I visited as part of a study abroad program in college, so I was stuck where they put me...which ended up being the Olympic Village at Yoyogi. About an hour and three train changes between the two points. The only time I had in the program that were completely free in Tokyo were the two days of our weekend, and everything I read said to get there an hour early, so...I had a fun but exhausting weekend! That's part of the reason being on site when I returned was huge for me. Being able to stroll across the street to Bayside Station was a dramatic and much appreciated difference from the trip before.

In terms of off-site WDW, I've stayed at a Quality Inn in the past, on 192 just west of WDW. Sometimes I've gotten lucky and been able to get some timeshares from relatives, in which case I've been right across I-4 off of 192. Both are close enough that you're almost on WDW property and functionally it's not that much different from staying at a Disney Hotel unless you're going to MK. I'd definitely say that Quality Inn room was nicer than my ASM room, cheaper, and came with breakfast. Similar lodging, if paying out of my own pocket, would be my choice going forward, as I don't see myself being able to justify the price of any Disney hotels above the values, and even those to me are very overpriced.

Mike730

Satellite imagery from yesterday. This isn't very useful after that twitter photo above, but it gives a sense of scale. The expansion is really a long leg. Not sure how much you can get out of this but it is the best quality I can get for free.
TDLSat2020-11-28.PNG

deere839

Disneyland Hotel Repair work

Backstage building

Toy Story hotel The paneling for the rooms are done but the lobby area is still got a lot of work to do.

More Toy Story hotel with the parking Garage under construction and the Monorail station being refurbished.

Fanasty Springs Construction progress new foundation being poured next to the hotel

SweetDuffy101

So, at this time the construction at the middle part of the harbor are now done, Lasers and projectors are now being constructed/installed in Fortress explorations and Disney Sea hotel Miracosta harbor side.

HongKongFooy

I think there is a sporting chance I will bucket the Fantasy Springs Hotel for a 5 nighter..........even if $1,000+ per night.

At that point in time money becomes worthless and each day becomes priceless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom