Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

I think Paris has such potential to be the best Disney Resort in the world, however, it just doesn't seem like Disney is interested in making that happen. It seems like even pre-pandemic Disneyland Parks new e-ticket wasn't happening, Discoveryland is messy (then again all Tomorrowlands minus Shanghais are a mess), and it's lacking attractions. And while WDSP will have great areas such as Star Wars, Frozen and Marvel, it still doesn't fix the rest of the park and it just doesn't seem like it will have the charm that most other Disney parks have. DCA and Hong Kong got a full-blown redesign, and WDSP is still just getting bandaids. It's getting a budget version of Star Wars, a budget version of HKs Frozen, and Avengers Campus with a reskinned ride and a D-Ticket. Plus it doesn't even seem like they are touching the Toon Studio & Production Courtyard areas of the park, the latter which desperately needs to be fixed. I think WDSP post expansion will be a park worth visiting, but it'll still just be a cheap park. It probably won't feel like a cheap park since Frozen & Star Wars will probably be great, but it'll just be way too big with so many empty areas that while it has great attractions, it won't feel complete and probably won't ever feel complete.

Now that they own it, I really think they care. Before Disney took full-control in 2017, the park was such in a desperate state: they were no characters, no maintenance, half of the effects were gone. It has really changed a lot since.

DCA and HK were bad at their opening but still better than WDS which struggle way more for money for so long. No wonder it takes longer to get it better.

With Backlot closed, there are only 2 restaurants in the park now. The expansion will also bring new restaurants, shops and a nighttime spectacular that can be as good as World of Color and Fantasmic. Don't forget there is also another land including, if rumors are right, 2 major restaurants, a small ride and gardens.

Before the pandemic, there were rumors on this forum that the entrance (Studio 1, Production Courtyard & Place des Stars) might receive a "Broadway" theming. They know this area sucks. They didn't destroy Backlot and bring new lands let this as it is now. I don't think that's their most important priority but we can expect changes.
The Marvel E-Ticket that was planned for DCA has a lot of chances to come in some years and you can actually see it on 2 concept arts. I don't think they will do a Marvel show, I think they will destroy the facilities when they can. It costs a lot of money to run these kinds of shows. I don't know how the pandemic will affect all of this but I hope it's delayed rather than dead.

By the way, I still prefer them to replace Backlot with Marvel and replacing a ride rather than creating a brand-new land and keep Backlot. This zone was the worst area of the worst Disney Parks, that means a lot.
I don't think the number of rides is the most important thing to consider. A lot of Disney Parks including Hong Kong, Shanghai, DCA, Animal Kingdom and even Tokyo DisneySea haven't a lot of major rides and are far superior.

I used to think that if you try to rank every Disney Parks from 1 to 12, Tokyo DisneySea and WDS will be number 1 and 12 without hesitation. They are the only one you cannot hesitate. Even if it's still last in 5/6 years, I hope it will not be as obvious as it is today.
Hopefully, it will be an opportunity for Disneyland Paris to make a fresh start after so many difficult years.

HongKongFooy

Why is everyone assuming the imminent demise of Peter Pan's Flight?

WDW has a Nemo ride and show AND a Little Mermaid ride and show. Disneyland has a Little Mermaid ride, features the characters and songs in parades and fireworks, and until recently had a restaurant dedicated to her. But shows, restaurants, and spectaculars are different, you say! Fair enough. Universal Orlando has two elaborate Harry Potter attractions in two different parks without them being terribly redundant.
I know this is going to sound painfully obvious but I think it's warranted based off that above.

Two things:

Culturally Japan is not USA......Japanese and USAers view the world in vastly different ways.

Culturally OLC is not Disney.....OLC and Disney aside from being different entities view themeparks in vastly different ways.

You can't look to USA habits and patterns and think that they apply to a place like Japan. You can't even pull that with western Europe and western Europe is much closer culturally to the USA than a place like Japan.

PiratesMansion

I know this is going to sound painfully obvious but I think it's warranted based off that above.

Two things:

Culturally Japan is not USA......Japanese and USAers view the world in vastly different ways.

Culturally OLC is not Disney.....OLC and Disney aside from being different entities view themeparks in vastly different ways.

You can't look to USA habits and patterns and think that they apply to a place like Japan. You can't even pull that with western Europe and western Europe is much closer culturally to the USA than a place like Japan.

Meh. It could happen, it could not, and no one will really know until they actually open this area, which has been delayed what feels like one hundred times already. Even TDR will soon have a Toy Story ride in each park and even a Toy Story Hotel. They currently have two Stitch attractions in the same park. Peter Pan is hardly the hot commodity Toy Story is (sigh), nor is it at Stitch level, but it's not as if it's never happened before. I'm not sure most parkgoers care if the same IP is represented in two different rides, even in Japan.

They could change it or keep it the same and it wouldn't affect me in the slightest. Having been to Japan twice now, I'm well aware that they're not the same place culturally as the US and that their respective operating companies have different priorities.

Also, wow, that post was more than two years old. Oof.

Last edited:

HongKongFooy

I agree that Moana is a perfect thematic fit for TDS, not to mention Polynesian culture is very popular in Japan, too. I'm guessing OLC thought it might be redundant to have two volcano-themed areas.

25 to 1 odds:
if Bob had control of Disney Sea he would rip out drilling machines, lava monsters and submersible pods or mini subs and Moanaize the place.

tanc

DisneySea is one of the few places that does its theme very well. It's all coherent to me, and it's a great thing about the park.

Whenever I think about the direction of Hollywood studios, I think it needs a name change. I don't feel like the name fits at all anymore. The addition of Pandora to the Animal Kingdom was also weird. I really hope DisneySea can retain everything it is in the future.

J4546

seriously, this fantasy springs expansion looks like it will be so amazing. so much better than the stars wars lands or marvel lands or really anything being built in USA lately. Granted its much much bigger than any star wars/marvel lands but still.

BrianLo

Only one animated property really actually would fit DisneySea off the top of my head... Moana.

Pandora fits AK far better and Star Wars DHS far more than the princess collection fits TDS. But people let principles slide for Disney’s animated offerings.

Personally though, I don’t actually care about all the above.

HongKongFooy

Pandora fits AK far better and Star Wars DHS far more than the princess collection fits TDS

Agreed.....

And Star Wars movies are not even Hollywood so much.... they're more closely associated to UK and Lucas ranch say 20 miles north of San Francisco(which is already approx 400 miles from Hollywood)

HongKongFooy

a stay at the MiraCosta, which would include a separate entrance into TDS, free use of the monorail + early entry for both parks.

Is the current early entry only 15 minutes before general public?

Also, when I stayed there a few years back I dont remember any early entry(I could be wrong but I thought there was no EE) . I just remember we were all queuing single file like along a lavish hallway/semi open area waiting to walk down into Disney Sea via the hotel's dedicated entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom