• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

ThemeParkTraveller

But we're not done yet, as things gets even more complicated because Disney is currently trying to decide where to build first the next Star Wars land in Asia ...as Tokyo Disneyland was supposed to get it ( it would be built behind Tomorrowland on part of the remaining parking lot ) but Oriental Land - who still have to pay for the Beauty and the Beast land and TDS Fantasy Springs - would apparently prefer to wait for a better Japanese economy...

Bob Iger and Philippe Gas were not only in Tokyo for Fantasy Springs groundbreaking ceremony but also for talks and eventually convince Oriental Land executives to bring a Star Wars land at Tokyo Disneyland. As for what decision went out of the discussions, sorry, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait for an official announcement.
Some interesting tidbits regarding Tokyo Disneyland from Alain's recent article on disneyandmore. Seeing as Japan is the only Asian market where Star Wars is still popular, I can see why Disney wants to bring Galaxy's Edge over there.

dennis-in-ct

Some interesting tidbits regarding Tokyo Disneyland from Alain's recent article on disneyandmore. Seeing as Japan is the only Asian market where Star Wars is still popular, I can see why Disney wants to bring Galaxy's Edge over there.
The TDR audience seems to be all about the "cute" and I am not convinced the Star Wars universe is Kawaii enough for Japan.

Isn't this the reason why the self-proclaimed "adult" DisneySeas never reaches the same attendance as TDL?

ThemeParkTraveller

The TDR audience seems to be all about the "cute" and I am not convinced the Star Wars universe is Kawaii enough for Japan.

Isn't this the reason why the self-proclaimed "adult" DisneySeas never reaches the same attendance as TDL?
Star Wars is still popular in Japan, even if not on the same scale as the U.S. or parts of Europe. Outside of Harry Potter, Star Wars is the highest grossing live-action Hollywood franchise in Japan.

With regards to TDS attendance, it's a result of not having as many attractions as TDL and also being less family-friendly (most of the major attractions are thrill rides with height restrictions). Although to be fair, TDS currently attracts more guests per year than TDL did from 2002-2011. With the opening of Fantasy Springs, TDS could finally catch up to TDL in the present (or be reasonably close at least).

Last edited:

dennis-in-ct

Star Wars is still popular in Japan, even if not on the same scale as the U.S. or parts of Europe. Outside of Harry Potter, Star Wars is the highest grossing live-action Hollywood franchise in Japan.

With regards to TDS attendance, it's a result of not having as many attractions as TDL and also being less family-friendly (most of the major attractions are thrill rides with height restrictions). Although to be fair, TDS currently attracts more guests per year than TDL did from 2002-2011. With the opening of Fantasy Springs, TDS could finally catch up to TDL in the present (or be reasonably close at least).
I agree - the TDS fantasy springs will give the Japanese audience what they want. Cute fantasy environments to absorb.

Tyler161

Wow, truly looks like it has been there since day one; no piecemeal shoehorned in development. Imagineers must love playing around and getting to work at TDS, what a dream!

Those are slightly glaring sight lines, is it noticeable in many places? I wonder what could be done to cover them up, can hardly complain though. Can’t wait to visit one day

Timothy_Q

Wow, truly looks like it has been there since day one; no piecemeal shoehorned in development. Imagineers must love playing around and getting to work at TDS, what a dream!

Those are slightly glaring sight lines, is it noticeable in many places? I wonder what could be done to cover them up, can hardly complain though. Can’t wait to visit one day
Before Soarin, there were some backstage buildings that could also be seen from the fortress, before the trees matured.

Those received painted flats that mimicked the mediterranean aesthetic of architecture.
I imagine the same will happen to these

TDS 1.jpgTDS 2.jpg

ThemeParkTraveller

Regarding that open view of the backstage area, I hope they will replant all the trees they removed during the construction of Soarin'. I figure the natural berm that was there before was displaced only temporarily to facilitate construction and ease of access to that area.

ThemeParkTraveller

What are the chances of soft openings for this ride?! It doesn't officially open for another month but I mean it looks just about complete to me :cool:
They are having a special preview for 400 lucky guests on July 19 (one hour only), so that's probably the earliest the attraction will be open.

SweetDuffy101

Actually Preview lotteries for Sponsors Has been quite alot were talking about thousands rolling out , for awhile now and in various Disney Japan fan Clubs and sites.

On a side note Those who received the special Ticket for the preview, The Ticket Preview Cant be reselled through online cause there is an embedded serial code that OLC can easily track that person and be banned from any lottery in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom