Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

wdrive

While I'm sure they'll be high quality areas with some great attractions, it's disappointing to see even OLC are forcing characters where they don't belong.

The link between Frozen, Tangled, Peter Pan and the sea is strenuous at best.

And have to wonder if this is the end of Peter Pan's Flight at Tokyo reading what the Neverland attraction will be ' Guests fly over the jungles of Neverland and battle with Captain Hook'

peep

I'm torn because I sort of agree but I also love it? People seem to be fine with the Little Mermaid area and I'd argue this is just more of the same. It's also not like the company have completely gone IP-only with the Soarin' ride opening soon (next year?).

More than anything though I'm excited for Neverland. I have friends that'll cry when they come across Frozen or Beauty and the Beast but for me, Neverland might actually push me there.

I'm also looking forward to the Tangled ride as that sounds wonderful, it'll also be great to have the restaurant/bar as the one in Shanghai is fab.

And have to wonder if this is the end of Peter Pan's Flight at Tokyo

I'm also wondering this. Could open a nice spot in the current Fantasyland for something new.

Timothy_Q

While I agree this is basically a Fantasyland at DisneySea, most of the rides in the park have no direct connection to the sea either, cause the theme of the park is exploration, not “the sea”.

Indiana Jones, JTTCOTE, Soarin, Tower of Terror have no direct connection to the seas either

the.dreamfinder

While I agree this is basically a Fantasyland at DisneySea, most of the rides in the park have no direct connection to the sea either, cause the theme of the park is exploration, not “the sea”.

Indiana Jones, JTTCOTE, Soarin, Tower of Terror have no direct connection to the seas either
Indy falls more on the “exploration” side of the park’s thesis. (Personally, I think it’s the weakest thematic link in the park) Journey is connected to Nemo/Verne/20K so that works. FWIW, Soarin and ToT were planned additions from day one. In fact, the first coffee table book has a model of TDS with an early iteration of ToT.

wdrive

I'm torn because I sort of agree but I also love it? People seem to be fine with the Little Mermaid area and I'd argue this is just more of the same. It's also not like the company have completely gone IP-only with the Soarin' ride opening soon (next year?).

More than anything though I'm excited for Neverland. I have friends that'll cry when they come across Frozen or Beauty and the Beast but for me, Neverland might actually push me there.

I'm also looking forward to the Tangled ride as that sounds wonderful, it'll also be great to have the restaurant/bar as the one in Shanghai is fab.

I'm also wondering this. Could open a nice spot in the current Fantasyland for something new.

The Little Mermaid has a clear link to the sea. Neverland, Frozen and Tangled are all a bit of stretch by varying degrees.

However I'm still expecting these to be pretty amazing, just in the wrong park.

wdrive

True but the lands that they are in do, there's no Indiana Jones land. And I thought Tokyo would be spared from the current trend of all singular IP lands.

A wooded Tangled forest doesn't fit the theme of the park.

disneyC97

Each port has a different water related descriptor in their names. I think this one will/should be Fantasy Springs.
Glad to see them not go a single IP land here

the.dreamfinder

Well some of it is due to the Cost of Development in Japan, in terms of Earthquake related systems.
WDW has the very strict EPCOT building code, DLR has California earthquake regulations. In inflation adjusted terms, this budget is around half of TDS.

I understand the corporate logic behind this plan (Capacity, need to balance out crowds, increase room stock and profits, maximize land, push the characters), but it’s short sighted. Additionally, these budgets are making management more risk averse.

Last edited:

Voxel

President of Progress City
WDW has the very strict EPCOT building code, DLR has California earthquake regulations. In inflation adjusted terms, this budget is around half of TDS.

I understand the corporate logic behind this plan (Capacity, need to balance out crowds, increase room stock and profits, maximize land, push the characters), but its short sighted. Additionally, these budgets are making management more risk averse.
I'm not going into specifics of their Earthquake code, nor in I qualified in assessing the building Qualifications of building on Reclaimed land. It's possible that their are additional building standards for building on Reclaimed land, looking at the complications that they are having with Kansai international which is an extreme example.

On the positive it shouldn't make Disney's Management more risk adverse, they aren't spending the money. Tokyo Land Company would be the one to worry about, ie Keisei Railway and Mitsui, Disney doesn't own an portion Tokyo Disneyland except the IP. I'm curious if the rate for use WDI is higher for TDR than in house use by WDW.

Robbiem

I wonder if the hotel will link to bayside monorail station?

It sounds like the peter pan ride could be a use of the shanghai pirates ride system. Although id have preferred a different addition as a fantasyland port it sounds like it could be nice and add some more family friendly areas to the park. It will be interesting to see how its themed overall.

Another bonus is it leaves the area between port discovery and lost river delta for another addition like glacier bay or maybe galaxies edge

Robbiem

Disney doesn't own an portion Tokyo Disneyland except the IP. I'm curious if the rate for use WDI is higher for TDR than in house use by WDW.

Does Disney get more money from OLC for an IP related tie in than for a generic ride? Would something like sinbad or tower or terror have a lower licensing fee than the aladdin 3d film or mermaid show?

Voxel

President of Progress City
Does Disney get more money from OLC for an IP related tie in than for a generic ride? Would something like sinbad or tower or terror have a lower licensing fee than the aladdin 3d film or mermaid show?
Honestly I don't know.. Seeings as Disney has Creative Control, I would believe it it would be IP central if the Money was IP based.
Based on quick research OLC pays a cost to use the IP and Likeness in the resorts, along with royalties. 10% on ticket sales and 5% on Food and Souvenir. According to Forbes, Disney pulled in roughly $230 Million in royalties in 2010 from TDR which isn't bad and doesn't include the cost to use the IP and Likeness.

the.dreamfinder

I'm not going into specifics of their Earthquake code, nor in I qualified in assessing the building Qualifications of building on Reclaimed land. It's possible that their are additional building standards for building on Reclaimed land, looking at the complications that they are having with Kansai international which is an extreme example.
That makes two of us! However, Leemac on Laughingplace and others have said the quality of the landfill is poor and they have compensated for this since the beginning. Which brings it back to the spending problem, you likely have two clones (PPF and Frozen), two new rides, three restaurants and a hotel with a lower capacity than its predecessors. That list doesn’t scream, half of TDS’ budget to me, which at the time was the most extravagantly budgeted park in Disney history. Building codes don’t seem to be the problem here. Maybe they’ll get squeezed by contractors because of the Olympics, but I don’t know.

If this was an addition to their Fantasyland, I’d be all for it (minus hotel), but it’s this appendage on world’s best theme park.
On the positive it shouldn't make Disney's Management more risk adverse, they aren't spending the money. Tokyo Land Company would be the one to worry about, ie Keisei Railway and Mitsui, Disney doesn't own an portion Tokyo Disneyland except the IP. I'm curious if the rate for use WDI is higher for TDR than in house use by WDW.
This is a point I seem to get into arguments about; that doing something isn’t conservative. When I think about the design of these parks, and how that connects to the business, a reasonable option can be the worst outcome because it doesn’t address the core problem.

Like WDSP, the problem is the park will never be an equal to DLP and will always be a heroin monkey, constantly needing money, competing for limited guest time, internal resources etc. The reasonable plan put forth by Burbank to turn it into a UNI park doubles down on a flawed design and conception of a Disney park. The spaces are clones or reskins of existing facilities, not creating timeless, intergenerational spaces, the hallmark of Disney theme parks. It also fails to establish Marvel and Star Wars on their own terms in the medium of themed entertainment, but that’s another discussion I don’t want to have in public.

Now let’s bring that back to the new TDS port. Obviously, it makes lots of sense to expand the parks on the footprint of the parking lot. You can keep pushing the capacity of these parks without trade offs. This parcel of land was going to be developed, the question centers around which park does it go to. That’s the problem, if you tear down/relocate Toontown, you open up lots of capacity for a much larger FL building on what is being built now; strong thematic fit. But there’s the issue of balancing out the parks and the new port does that with little regard for anything else like theme. So you have a reasonable solution which damages the integrity of TDS with an ugly hotel that will bring the real world wealth gap into the park for no good thematic reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom