To split stay or not to split stay...

AKL studio or split stay:Pop/Poly, Pop/Grand Floridian

• Total voters

Mouseketeer Erin

Original Poster
I have no idea what to do! My husband and I are planning an 8 night/7 day trip to Disney, and I can't decide where to stay. We are planning on staying in an AKL studio or doing a split stay at Pop/Grand Floridian Studio or Pop/Poly studio (5 nights at the value and 3 nights at the deluxe). We have stayed at AKL many times, and it is currently my favorite resort. However, I have never stayed at a monorail resort, and a split stay might be my only chance to do so because of the price. Please help!!! What would you do?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Just from the standpoint of it just being a week I would stay all in one resort. I have done it even on a longer stay and it took a lot of time out of the day that we switched etc. I would do it again but if I was only there for a week no I wouldn't. That is just purely my opinion and a lot will say go for it and that's okay too. It's whatever you want to do. We absolutely love AKV-Kidani but do try other resorts as well. So on that note go for it! We absolutely loved VGF!! So if you can experience one of those VGF or Poly take that chance and your next stay you can always go back to AKL. I know I contradicted myself. Haha :)

Mouseketeer Erin

Original Poster
Just you and your husband? IMO, a monorail resort isn't worth the price premium unless you have kids and/or will be spending half of your time or more in the Magic Kingdom. POP is more of a downgrade from AKL than Poly or Grand are upgrades. DAKL all the way for me, and it isn't particularly close.

ETA: Why studio and not standard room?

It will probably be just my husband and possibly my parents. We have no kids, so the monorail would be for the novelty of it. I've never stayed at Pop, and the downgrade worries me a little. We would be doing a studio because we will be staying on rented DVC points. Thanks for the help!

sxeensweet

It will probably be just my husband and possibly my parents. We have no kids, so the monorail would be for the novelty of it. I've never stayed at Pop, and the downgrade worries me a little. We would be doing a studio because we will be staying on rented DVC points. Thanks for the help!
I feel you on the downgrade! I know many love the values and moderates and nothing against those at all, me and DH have never stayed lower than a Deluxe/Deluxe Villa resort. I'm a bit spoiled at Disney and anywheres we travel we usually stay at Deluxe accomadations. So that would be hard for me to swallow too. Yes I know you don't spend much time in the room as many say but I still prefer my deluxe. So much so we joined DVC in 2013 after staying deluxe several times prior to us finally buying. :)

Mouseketeer Erin

Original Poster
I feel you on the downgrade! I know many love the values and moderates and nothing against those at all, me and DH have never stayed lower than a Deluxe/Deluxe Villa resort. I'm a bit spoiled at Disney and anywheres we travel we usually stay at Deluxe accomadations. So that would be hard for me to swallow too. Yes I know you don't spend much time in the room as many say but I still prefer my deluxe. So much so we joined DVC in 2013 after staying deluxe several times prior to us finally buying. :)

Totally agree with you there! I have stayed at a few moderates and I'm ok with those. I have only stayed at a value once, and I really didn't like it. We stayed at All Star Movies, which was the last bus stop at the time. By the time the bus got to us, it was usually full. I guess I worry about ending up in a similar situation. If I had a choice, I would always go deluxe too! My husband will stay anywhere it's cheap and clean.

How do you feel about DVC? Is it a good value?

wdwhoneymooner

The Pop is a great choice for family with young kids. With no kids, not the best choice IMHO. Now that our kids are older, we probably won't be going back there even though we've had such good times there. But never say never......

I know the points/costs are higher but staying at Bay Lake Tower has been nice too. The proximity to MK is the obvious benefit. Staying at a monorail resort was high on my bucket list too and I have no regrets doing it. But then again we have kids who love going to MK.

Our time at AKL has been great also, but as you already know you are so far removed from the rest of Disney that unless you really like hanging at the resort, you feel like you're on an island (albeit, a Disney island).

In the end, if you truly believe this will be your one and only chance for a monorail resort, then go for it!

sxeensweet

Totally agree with you there! I have stayed at a few moderates and I'm ok with those. I have only stayed at a value once, and I really didn't like it. We stayed at All Star Movies, which was the last bus stop at the time. By the time the bus got to us, it was usually full. I guess I worry about ending up in a similar situation. If I had a choice, I would always go deluxe too! My husband will stay anywhere it's cheap and clean.

How do you feel about DVC? Is it a good value?
We find it is because just the trips we did before joining staying in 1 bed Villas and other Deluxe rooms, almost would have paid for us buying in at 220 points! Crazy! We financed buying direct but hope to pay off early, and yes did all the math knowing what our future costs would be from interest and dues every year etc. Did not just jump in and not think seriously about it first. DH swore he would never join and then one day we did realized it made total sense. It's really nice knowing every year besides dues we just have to pay for park entry and food. Was a huge savings even including dues, in that aspect for us. We love it so far and we think it was definately a great decision for us personally. Oh and we go every year or every other year as we like to travel elsewhere as well. :)

Mouse_Trap

Eek, a motel is going to be a shock to the system after AKL. Could always do it the other way around I guess.

Is AKL really much cheaper than the other deluxes?
Earlier this week I was pricing up a trip for 11 days in May next year. For 1 room AKL was coming out at $3,600 (£2,400 converted) more than Portofino Bay! That was just the standard car park view room too.

The thought of the other deluxes being even more expensive than that is just crazy.
If we do decide to book, I know where we will be staying.

LAM378

For me, the appeal of staying at a monorail resort isn't about the ease of hopping a monorail. It's about staying near the MK and seeing everything spread out around the lake and feeling like I'm right in the middle of the magic.

So I would go for the split stay! I looooove deluxes but on my last couple trips I've stayed at AoA and then moved to a deluxe. It's easier to ignore what I don't love about a value when I know I'm moving on in a few days.

I visit Pop to eat when I'm at AoA and I wouldn't mind staying there. It's on a lake, the common areas are a little crazy but fun and visually appealing, and the food court is great.

In your case I would top load the touring on your Pop days, concentrate on Epcot/HS/AK, and save most of the relaxation and MK time for when you've over to the MK area. GF and the Poly are both beautiful resorts to hang around--just pick whichever one appeals to you most, and spend some time visiting the other.

In most cases 8 nights at a deluxe like AKL are preferable to a value, but since it's giving you a chance to branch out and stay at 2 places you've never tried before, I think it's worth the gamble.

pixiesteno

If you like nature and being outdoors might I suggest the cabins at Fort Wilderness campground? If you are driving or have a rental car you can park at your door. A fully functional kitchen, living area, bedroom and bath. Your own deck and grill. The fort is a wonderful place to stay, lots to do at the resort. Just a thought......

CaptainAmerica

Is AKL really much cheaper than the other deluxes?
Yes. Generally speaking:

1. Animal Kingdom Lodge Standard View, Wilderness Lodge
2. Saratoga Springs, Old Key West
3. Yacht Club, Beach Club, Contemporary Garden Wing
4. Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge Savanna View
5. Polynesian
6. Contemporary Tower
7. Grand Floridian

Earlier this week I was pricing up a trip for 11 days in May next year. For 1 room AKL was coming out at $3,600 (£2,400 converted) more than Portofino Bay! That was just the standard car park view room too.
No chance, something must have either been off in your search or there's something wonky with UK pricing. I priced out eleven nights in May at Animal Kingdom Lodge and a standard room was $4,700 after tax. Portofino Bay on the same dates was $2,700. So certainly a big difference ($2,000), but not the $3,600 you calculated. Plus, the Animal Kingdom Lodge quote is based on rack rates. Nobody ever pays rack rates. You can almost always get 30% off on your room so that would bring it down to $3,300, or only a $600 difference (roughly $50 per night).

Tuvalu

Premium Member
No chance, something must have either been off in your search or there's something wonky with UK pricing. I priced out eleven nights in May at Animal Kingdom Lodge and a standard room was $4,700 after tax. Portofino Bay on the same dates was $2,700. So certainly a big difference ($2,000), but not the $3,600 you calculated. Plus, the Animal Kingdom Lodge quote is based on rack rates. Nobody ever pays rack rates. You can almost always get 30% off on your room so that would bring it down to $3,300, or only a $600 difference (roughly $50 per night).
From reading posts of other UK residents, it is clear that Disney resort pricing is different for them. They also receive discounts that U.S. residents do not; therefore it is possible that U.S. residents receive room rates that UK residents do not.

Mouse_Trap

It's definitely what come up and there was no mistake in what I entered.

Will have a look later to see if it's the same. As above, we get different offers here, but still $2,000 extra is insane, for what you said is normally the cheapest deluxe.

Actually thinking about it, here it is not uncommon to see AKL as one of the most expensive options. Strange.

DABIGCHEEZ

Do not do a split on just a weeks stay... it takes too much time that you could be relaxing or at a park.

If just you and husband(or even with the parents)... go to either AKL or Poly. GF is a bit too stuffy for me, but some people love it. Not to mention crazy $$$ or # of points. We go to GF for a meal or 2 though.

Either way...save Pop, All-Stars & AoA for if/when you have kids on future trips.

JusticeDisney

Why anyone would want to totally interrupt his or her vacation by having to pack up, check out, travel, check in, and then unpack again, just so they could stay in a different hotel is beyond me. Just pick a place and then get on with the fun!

HauntedMansionFLA

I would stay put at AKL. I think I'd be shell shocked from staying at a deluxe then going to a value. We have always stayed at AKL and I've toyed with the idea of a different resort. AKL bus service isn't bad and it would be a more relaxing resort with the parents.

Dukeblue1227

I've always found transferring to be incredibly seamless and easy in Disney. The only annoying part is I like to fully unpack everything so repacking is annoying, but beyond that Disney makes it a lot easier.

Just let them know you're checking out and where you're going... You can leave your hotel in the morning like any other day to go to the parks, then when you're done go to your new hotel... Spend 10 minutes checking in and you're all set.

They handle your luggage from one room to the next.

All that said I'd personally just do AKL the full week like others have said simply because I think it's the best option, but my experience with transferring has always been great. We usually do it our first night at a value then head to a deluxe for rest of trip so we don't have to worry about unpacking and repacking, but if we get in late we're not paying the deluxe price for just a bed for that night.

Missymoe4

Just you and your husband? IMO, a monorail resort isn't worth the price premium unless you have kids and/or will be spending half of your time or more in the Magic Kingdom. POP is more of a downgrade from AKL than Poly or Grand are upgrades. DAKL all the way for me, and it isn't particularly close.

ETA: Why studio and not standard room?

I agree with @CaptainAmerica. I enjoy the Contemporary, but we also love the MK and spend almost every evening in there. I would rather spend all my time in the deluxe AKL than half in the POP. What about staying the full time in the WL? The price is a bit lower than the MK monorail resorts, about the same price as the AKL (depending on room type) and then you don't have to switch.

I think switching resorts midweek would be too time consuming. A half day can be wasted in the switch. If you had a longer stay, then I would say go for the switch. You may be better off lounging by the pool or sleeping in rather than worrying about packing and moving luggage.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom