To split stay or not to split stay...

AKL studio or split stay:Pop/Poly, Pop/Grand Floridian

• Total voters

HolleBolleGijs

I've always found transferring to be incredibly seamless and easy in Disney. The only annoying part is I like to fully unpack everything so repacking is annoying, but beyond that Disney makes it a lot easier.

Just let them know you're checking out and where you're going... You can leave your hotel in the morning like any other day to go to the parks, then when you're done go to your new hotel... Spend 10 minutes checking in and you're all set.

They handle your luggage from one room to the next.

All that said I'd personally just do AKL the full week like others have said simply because I think it's the best option, but my experience with transferring has always been great. We usually do it our first night at a value then head to a deluxe for rest of trip so we don't have to worry about unpacking and repacking, but if we get in late we're not paying the deluxe price for just a bed for that night.

This. Plus, with direct-to-room check-in, you don't even have to spend those 10 minutes! It really doesn't take up that much time at all, especially if you live out of your suitcase.

That being said, OP, based on your preferences I would do AKL for 8 nights. If you're worried about the downgrade to Pop, I would avoid it. It's not terrible, by any means, but it would definitely be an adjustment (don't listen to anyone who calls the values "motels;" it's just not true). One question though - you said you disliked the All-Star you stayed at; was that only because of the bus system? I think Pop has it's own dedicated bus system, so that will definitely be an improvement over the All-Stars. With that in mind, if you think you can deal with Pop, then go for it. But in my opinion you will be happier at AKL.

docdebbi

I have been a major proponent of split stays for years. Have done it probably 7-8 times. The move itself is easy, Disney takes care of everything. And we get to visit 2 different resorts in our quest to stay at every resort on property.

I will not do it again!! sad to say

no longer can you book dining reservations for arrival day plus 10 days, it is now arrival day plus length of stay. for many places we eat, you really need that 10 day jump for reservations (things like BOG and California grill at fireworks time). Now if you are staying 4 days and changing, you only get to book for those first 4 days at your 180 day mark. Then at 180 days from your next reservation you can book your next ADRs. had this happen to me and I couldn't get anything really good.
also, with the onset of FP+, you can only book for the first part of your trip at the 60 day mark, need to wait until 60 before the second part to book the last ones. A major disadvantage

so, I no longer recommend split stays to my friends, and we no longer do them
something to think about

HolleBolleGijs

I have been a major proponent of split stays for years. Have done it probably 7-8 times. The move itself is easy, Disney takes care of everything. And we get to visit 2 different resorts in our quest to stay at every resort on property.

I will not do it again!! sad to say

no longer can you book dining reservations for arrival day plus 10 days, it is now arrival day plus length of stay. for many places we eat, you really need that 10 day jump for reservations (things like BOG and California grill at fireworks time). Now if you are staying 4 days and changing, you only get to book for those first 4 days at your 180 day mark. Then at 180 days from your next reservation you can book your next ADRs. had this happen to me and I couldn't get anything really good.
also, with the onset of FP+, you can only book for the first part of your trip at the 60 day mark, need to wait until 60 before the second part to book the last ones. A major disadvantage

so, I no longer recommend split stays to my friends, and we no longer do them
something to think about

I just checked Be Our Guest at 180 days out (not 180+10, just 180), and there's PLENTY of availability. Now I'm sure it depends on when you go, but it's quite easy to get an ADR for BOG one or two days before. Sure, it requires a little flexibility, but I wouldn't swear off split stays because of it.

Last edited:

worldfanatic

I'm a big believer in split stays.
It's like beginning a new vacation in the middle of your current one.
I don't mind the repacking at all.
Although I understand why that's an issue for many.

Through the years, I've learned four nights is the minimum number I need to fully enjoy a new-to-me WDW Resort.
All the 3 nighters I've stayed at (Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Saratoga Springs) were great, but I felt I needed at least one more night to soak it up before moving on.
This wouldn't be a problem if staying at a Resort I visit very often. (for me.....Boardwalk).

So I agree with those who say a one week vacation may be too short for a split.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom