Tired of Diseny Bashing

EpcotServo

I agree. However, for the internet Disney is SERIOUS BUSINESS. I've never had more conflict over entirely unimportant matters than I've had on Disney fan sites, sadly.

DisneyBoi1215

You know, even though most people will find that there will be some unfortunate situations during their visit (i.e. Children not being able to meet the height requirements for the major attractions, rude CM's, etc.), I still think it is amazing how everyone can still manage to make the most of their vacation, with or without complaining about WDW. I think that if there were no bashing of theme parks on forums like these, then theme parks would not be able to build upon their current situations and improve on them without that guest feedback. Just my $.02.

LoriMistress

Regardless what message board you go to, there are always going to be uber-nerds who will always be negative about something. I just normally ignore them.

French Quarter

DisneyBoi, I think the OP was trying to make a distinction between offering feedback (which is good) and bashing (which is bad). I can truly see where he/she is coming from.

I've only been here a day and what I like about this message board so far (and why I ultimately started posting) is that it is one of the least negative Disney communities that I have come across. I do find that there is a high number of nitpickers among Disney fans and some who are just outright mean.

As another poster has stated, it baffles the mind to see some of the stuff people choose to outright argue (not merely disagree) about.

Magenta Panther

But Disney is not the Disney many of us grew up with. And we miss it. And so we gripe.

Walt would not let a ride sit broken in one of his parks for two years.

Walt would not buy other people's characters unless he thought he could "plus" them with the Disney style of magic. MAKE THEM DISNEY, in other words. Otherwise, why buy them at all?

Walt would not spare any ride just because of its nostalgic value. "Disneyland's not a museum" was his motto. (If he were alive today, I'm convinced he'd be saying bye-bye to the Jungle Cruise. Or else he'd rip it up and make it exciting again).

Walt would not give a fig for stockholders, or do anything with their interests in mind. He'd take on projects because they were a good, new, challenging idea. He cared about money only because it allowed him to do great things; he had little interest in becoming a rich man. He would not give a cr*p about multi-platform across-the-board "branding". I bet he'd have a fit over the Princess meet-and-greets idea at WDW. He'd say "We did Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty already! Let's put something NEW in that space!"

Speaking for myself, I want the Disney company to remember Walt. To emulate Walt. To NOT drop his first name from company product. I had high hopes for Lasseter, but I dunno...the money boys still run the place. Until that changes, I will continue to gripe now and then. Because I love Walt Disney.

oxodizer

Original Poster
DisneyBoi, I think the OP was trying to make a distinction between offering feedback (which is good) and bashing (which is bad). I can truly see where he/she is coming from.

I've only been here a day and what I like about this message board so far (and why I ultimately started posting) is that it is one of the least negative Disney communities that I have come across. I do find that there is a high number of nitpickers among Disney fans and some who are just outright mean.

As another poster has stated, it baffles the mind to see some of the stuff people choose to outright argue (not merely disagree) about.

This is spot on. I'm in no way saying that dissenting opinions shouldn't be voiced. I just think there are a lot of posts on here where it seems so unproductive and makes this absolutely amazing site a little less inviting.

the-reason14

But Disney is not the Disney many of us grew up with. And we miss it. And so we gripe.

Walt would not buy other people's characters unless he thought he could "plus" them with the Disney style of magic. MAKE THEM DISNEY, in other words. Otherwise, why buy them at all?

Walt would not spare any ride just because of its nostalgic value. "Disneyland's not a museum" was his motto. (If he were alive today, I'm convinced he'd be saying bye-bye to the Jungle Cruise. Or else he'd rip it up and make it exciting again).

Walt would not give a fig for stockholders, or do anything with their interests in mind. He'd take on projects because they were a good, new, challenging idea. He cared about money only because it allowed him to do great things; he had little interest in becoming a rich man. He would not give a cr*p about multi-platform across-the-board "branding". I bet he'd have a fit over the Princess meet-and-greets idea at WDW. He'd say "We did Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty already! Let's put something NEW in that space!"

Speaking for myself, I want the Disney company to remember Walt. To emulate Walt. To NOT drop his first name from company product. I had high hopes for Lasseter, but I dunno...the money boys still run the place. Until that changes, I will continue to gripe now and then. Because I love Walt Disney.

These are things you would assume Walt would do. No one can truly say what Walt Disney would do because you, I, we, are not him. Something to consider is that times have changed, and I believe that Walt would have adapted and changed with the times. I'm not saying that every decision the company has made, he would have, but I do believe that he would have done things that he wasn't "known" to do back in the day at Disneyland.

Magenta Panther

These are things you would assume Walt would do. No one can truly say what Walt Disney would do because you, I, we, are not him. Something to consider is that times have changed, and I believe that Walt would have adapted and changed with the times. I'm not saying that every decision the company has made, he would have, but I do believe that he would have done things that he wasn't "known" to do back in the day at Disneyland.

I can assume Walt would do certain things because he was remarkably consistent when it came to the projects he created. They reflected his values and personality. And I think it highly doubtful that he would "adapt and change" to the point that he'd let a ride stay broken or simply bought things instead of create them. Walt, in fact, resisted taking the path of least resistance. Here are some actual quotes:

I am not influenced by the techniques or fashions of any other motion picture company.
Walt Disney

I believe in being an innovator.
Walt Disney

And in regards to the Yeti:

Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved.
Walt Disney

I can just imagine how he'd react to EE...

me_stitch

Premium Member
we wen't for 10 days in Dec. '08 and my only complaints were long bus waits at park closing and a few rude guests. minor things and they didn't bother me one bit. I hate the people that complain about one meal at a restaurant and stuff like that, what, we're supposed to avoid that restaurant because you had one minor inconvenience while eating there. I just booked another 10 day trip for next year and I can't wait.

French Quarter

I'm not sure it's really helpful to consider what Walt would do because we really have no way of knowing, right? When we start to do that, we always imagine that Walt would have done exactly what we wanted to see done. When Walt was in charge, Disney was a comparably small scale project and, as inspired as he may have been, he too was a businessman concerned with making money. Since Walt died, Disney has become an empire. So the people in charge after Walt who created that empire must have done something right?

copcarguyp71

Yea I realized just after I had posted the thread that I had a typo, and not just any typo... I frantically looked for a way to edit it, but apparently I can't edit the title of a thread, only the body of it.

Yes I have been there as well, don't know why the titles can't be edited. Post intended all in good fun though and yes I have to agree that folks get their hackles up over some of the silliest things.

Tigger1988

I'm positive I told you this once before but, you have NO CLUE what Walt would or wouldn't do.

To NOT drop his first name from company product.

This line confused me, Disneyland was only named so because Disney was the family name. Walt didn't want it to be about HIM. Otherwise it would've been named Walt Disney Land. Disney World was planned to be named as such until Roy decided to honor his brother by naming it Walt Disney World.

mp2bill

I won't claim that Disney is a perfect company. Nor will I blindly believe that they don't screw up, but as a newer member of this community it just seems like a lot of people on here are generally negative about Disney. I know that one of the highest forms of praise is someone looking for the tiniest faults. However, that being said, if we are all fans it seems like we'd be more constructive in our comments rather than jaded and bitter.

I guess in the end Im just saying that in the 40+ times Ive gone to Disney I have never had a bad time overall or even a bad time for a measurable part of my visit. Some of my fondest memories are from WDW and I really appreciate all the effort they put into their parks and resorts. Sure I could look at that one CM who wasn't the nicest person I ever met, or that one animatronic figure with a lazy eye and get upset about what I perceive as "Disney slipping up" but honestly Im willing to overlook those sorts of things because never once in my patronage of them have they grossly mistreated me, cheated me out of my money, or cheapened my experience.

Disney does a bang up job, and while I completely believe that we as fans should offer insight to our favorite vacation destination on ways they can improve, it shouldn't be at the cost of ripping apart a company who still goes far and beyond the rest of the industry in almost every single way.

As Benjamin Franklin says at the end of The American Adventure, "The Golden Age never was the current one." So being bitter about how Disney isn't what it used to be or how the higher ups are so out of touch compared to years past does little more than feed the flames of discontent without any productive outlet for it.

Yeah, Disney bashing got old, quickly...kind of like the "Tea Party" movement.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If its worthy of criticism it should be criticised, and vice versa. And to be honest most of the criticism on many fan sites centres around the upper (mis)management of WDW.
I get tired of the bleating.

Magenta Panther

I'm positive I told you this once before but, you have NO CLUE what Walt would or wouldn't do.

To NOT drop his first name from company product.

This line confused me, Disneyland was only named so because Disney was the family name. Walt didn't want it to be about HIM. Otherwise it would've been named Walt Disney Land. Disney World was planned to be named as such until Roy decided to honor his brother by naming it Walt Disney World.

I've seen recent Disney movie posters that have dropped the "Walt" from "Walt Disney Pictures" and simply say "Disney". It sounds awfully corporate. I don't like to think of Walt's company as being like a factory; I'd like it to retain some of its original character. There's a bit of controversy brewing about the company dropping Walt's first name from its overall product, and I come down on the side of keeping it FWIW.

True, nobody can absolutely predict with 100 per cent accuracy what Walt would do, but one can certainly look at his past actions and extrapolate. And I think it's safe to say that Walt would not behave, say, like Ted Turner, all big mouth and big wallet. Given what we know of his history, I don't think he'd be in favor of the cheapquels, or letting a ride stay broken, or buy characters he had no plan to "plus" or give the Disney treatment. There is such thing as out-of-character. And it would be horribly out-of-character, given his past actions, for Walt to just buy a bunch of superhero characters. He'd likely try to create some himself. Case in point: on the "extras" DVD from Pinocchio, a couple of the Nine Old Men talk about how they wrestled with how to portray Pinocchio onscreen. And they say that somebody suggested that they just hire Edgar Bergan to reprise his Charlie McCarthy ventriloquist dummy character as Pinocchio, since Charlie was a puppet, and he was very popular. In other words, to use somebody else's creation to solve a creative problem. Walt nixed it. Because he wanted to create something of his own. That was Walt's way. Going the lazy, seemingly-less-risky route was not his way. If you can't see that, then I'm telling you YOU'RE the one with no clue about how Walt would act.

Tigger1988

And it would be horribly out-of-character, given his past actions, for Walt to just buy a bunch of superhero characters. He'd likely try to create some himself.

Just like he bought Winnie the Pooh and Mary Poppins? He could've just created a cheeky british nanny himself (certainly didn't stop the people behind Nanny McPhee). He could've just created some stuffed animals that came to life.

If you look at the bulk of films made in "Walt's day" most starred preexisting characters.

Only difference is now, when you buy preexisting characters you can't just mess them up by changing everything about them. Disney would lose money if they "Disney-fied" the Marvel Universe. That's business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom